Why is WV-Sen often rated toss-up?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 08:31:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Why is WV-Sen often rated toss-up?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why is WV-Sen often rated toss-up?  (Read 740 times)
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 08, 2018, 10:56:11 AM »
« edited: February 09, 2018, 03:30:46 AM by Sir Mohamed »

I actually don't get it why WV often gets rated as toss-up. I think Manchin is just doing fine and will easily win reelection. The Republican candidates aren't that strong and Jim Justice backs Manchin, who is a perfect fit for the state. Generally, I'd consider WV more pro coal and pro guns rather than pro Republican. So, I'd be surpised if Manchin doesn't win by eight points or more. He could easily win with 55% or 60%.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2018, 10:58:11 AM »

I actually don't get it why WV often gets rated as toss-up. I think Manchin is just doing fine and will easily win reelection. The Republican candidates aren't that strong, Jim Justice backs Manchin, who is a perfect fir for the state. Generally, I'd consider WV more pro coal and pro guns rather than pro Republican. So, I'd surpised if Manchin doesn't win by eight points or more. He could easily win with 55% or 60%.

Whatever Manchin's strengths, the swing in that state has been so complete, and Senate voting so polarized in 2016, it's hard to feel confident that the unthinkable won't happen. I think an easy reelection is a good possibility but I think a Ben Nelson collapse ca. 1996 is a possibility as well. Trump's incredible victory there has to be a major thumb on the scale.
DemocraticKing
Rookie

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2018, 12:21:32 PM »

It's a Lean D race at a minimum. If Manchin was Tossup, Claire would be Lean R, and none of that is even close to being accurate.
Mycool

Political Matrix
E: -4.58, S: -6.52

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2018, 12:45:04 PM »

There’s a pretty clear ignoring of polling for some of these ratings. Not only is Manchin up, but he’s above 50% in most early polls. I wouldn’t put it much past Lean D, but that seems like a fair rating for WV, ND, and MT, due to the individual brands of the three candidates. As it was said, if WV is Tossup, McCaskill and Donnelly would be closer to Lean R in their races.
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.84, S: -5.48

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2018, 02:14:33 PM »

I admit it's Lean D, but there hasn't been polling in a while, and for WV standards, Manchin has made some big missteps vote-wise. The fact that Pence went after him and that the RNC, in general, is going after him with more fervor seem to indicate that they may have some internals that look promising.
Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2018, 06:01:38 PM »

Manchin has a major Republican endorsement in the state, Jim Justice. This race is lean D.
America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2018, 06:15:59 PM »

I have this Race at Lean D.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2018, 06:38:35 PM »

Because Trump won it by 40 points, his approvals remain solid here and unlike Montana or North Dakota the Republicans got a strong recruit.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2018, 06:43:12 PM »

Manchin has a major Republican endorsement in the state, Jim Justice. This race is lean D.

I honestly don't think that helps him at ALL.
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.84, S: -5.48

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2018, 11:58:25 PM »

Right now I do too (as well as my endorsement), but we really will have to see what the next polling has him at after his vote against the tax cut and Pence's assault on him.
Attorney General, Senator-Elect, & Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2018, 10:29:18 AM »

Because Trump won it by 40 points, his approvals remain solid here and unlike Montana or North Dakota the Republicans got a strong recruit.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies