New Orleans authorities end multimonth sex trafficking sting
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 03, 2024, 08:35:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  New Orleans authorities end multimonth sex trafficking sting
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: New Orleans authorities end multimonth sex trafficking sting  (Read 814 times)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 07, 2018, 08:23:46 AM »

find no sex trafficking, but shut down a bunch of strip clubs anyway.  They Disneyfied Times Square and Vegas, looks like New Orleans is next.  What's next Sturgis?
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2018, 08:59:49 AM »

Of course the only thing you care about in this is strip clubs being shut down. Roll Eyes

FTR coercion and exploitation are epidemic in the sex work industry in general.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2018, 09:10:42 AM »

It's a lot easier to prove prostitution than trafficking, deadman. However, there's no denying there's an awful lot of trafficking associated with prostitution, especially illicit prostitution. While I do believe legalized brothels would help reduce trafficking, that's not something our society is willing to accept yet.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2018, 09:23:44 AM »

Of course the only thing you care about in this is strip clubs being shut down. Roll Eyes
Are you saying this because you think I frequent them?  I've been to 3 in my entire life (and one of those was with my wife in Vegas just to say we went to a strip club in Vegas) and I'm old.  I don't understand the allure.  (well, I understand why people without the ability to see boobies in a more natural environment would go, but that ain't me Wink )
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Well, there is a lot of hysteria, the evidence isn't really there.  There certainly isn't a whole lot of people getting snatched off the street when their parents aren't looking and getting sold into the sex industry.  In fact, that (almost?) never happens

But more importantly to the point, there was none of that going on here.  There were some strippers, voluntarily giving handies in the champagne room for some coin.  Nobody was hurt (in fact, multiple people were helped), but something must be done....for the children.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2018, 09:35:01 AM »

and just so we're clear, I'm not saying I'm ok with 14 yo runaway prostitutes controlled by A Pimp Named Slickback...no, not Slickback or Mr Slickback, his name is A Pimp Named Slickback.  And few things piss me off more than when they arrest these girls and give them a prostitution record instead of helping the poor things.  I 100% think prostitution should be legal (and no, I'd (likely) never use one Catgirl), but not children and perhaps even a psyche eval of some kind for younger adults (<25), I don't know, maybe that's too much still, but I'm willing to compromise.  Runaways should have a place to go to that won't pimp them out and sadly there aren't very many of those places, certainly not enough where they need to be at.  THAT is a problem.  My issue is with how the problem is often presented as if regular people (or worse, their children) are somehow at risk of getting caught up in some rich guys sex dungeon or walking the streets in some foreign land.  It just doesn't happen.
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2018, 09:43:58 AM »

Are you saying this because you think I frequent them?  I've been to 3 in my entire life (and one of those was with my wife in Vegas just to say we went to a strip club in Vegas) and I'm old.  I don't understand the allure.  (well, I understand why people without the ability to see boobies in a more natural environment would go, but that ain't me Wink )
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Well, there is a lot of hysteria, the evidence isn't really there.  There certainly isn't a whole lot of people getting snatched off the street when their parents aren't looking and getting sold into the sex industry.  In fact, that (almost?) never happens

But more importantly to the point, there was none of that going on here.  There were some strippers, voluntarily giving handies in the champagne room for some coin.  Nobody was hurt (in fact, multiple people were helped), but something must be done....for the children.
B
I don't think caring about strip clubs cause muh freedumb hurts my point. Are you seriously suggesting that all exploitation of (mostly) women is 14 year Olds getting kidnapped? The point is more that your personal priorities seem skewed.
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2018, 09:47:27 AM »

and just so we're clear, I'm not saying I'm ok with 14 yo runaway prostitutes controlled by A Pimp Named Slickback...no, not Slickback or Mr Slickback, his name is A Pimp Named Slickback.  And few things piss me off more than when they arrest these girls and give them a prostitution record instead of helping the poor things.  I 100% think prostitution should be legal (and no, I'd (likely) never use one Catgirl), but not children and perhaps even a psyche eval of some kind for younger adults (<25), I don't know, maybe that's too much still, but I'm willing to compromise.  Runaways should have a place to go to that won't pimp them out and sadly there aren't very many of those places, certainly not enough where they need to be at.  THAT is a problem.  My issue is with how the problem is often presented as if regular people (or worse, their children) are somehow at risk of getting caught up in some rich guys sex dungeon or walking the streets in some foreign land.  It just doesn't happen.
But yeah, people (99% women afaik) should never be punished for being prostitutes. It causes nothing but harm.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2018, 09:52:49 AM »

I don't think caring about strip clubs cause muh freedumb hurts my point. Are you seriously suggesting that all exploitation of (mostly) women is 14 year Olds getting kidnapped? The point is more that your personal priorities seem skewed.
Women should be free to make whatever decisions they want.  No one should be exploited that doesn't want to be exploited.  Feel better?
But yeah, people (99% women afaik) should never be punished for being prostitutes. It causes nothing but harm.
100% agree....(I don't think it's 99% women though, but surely the vast majority...one place says 80%)
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2018, 10:01:59 AM »

I saw enough of Showgirls on a cable channel to know that I have no desire to go to a strip club. If it is sleazy, it certainly isn't sexy.

Of course I expect the abominable practice of sex trafficking to be part of the 'adult entertainment' business. I once had a conversation with some Columbus (Ohio) cops about massage parlors (sure, that's all the pretty Asian girls do -- give massages to people who have some back pain), and as a rule the females are rotated away so that the repeat customers can;t figure out what is going on.   
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2018, 10:04:14 AM »

Much of New Orleans is a sh**thole.
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2018, 10:05:37 AM »

Women should be free to make whatever decisions they want.  No one should be exploited that doesn't want to be exploited.  Feel better?
100% agree....(I don't think it's 99% women though, but surely the vast majority...one place says 80%)
Um, exploitation is never okay. That's a very poor way to word it. (FTR I don't believe sex work is inherently exploitative to the individual practicing it)
Fight for Trump
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2018, 10:05:46 AM »
« Edited: February 07, 2018, 11:46:56 AM by Santander »

The cops must have just blown money on lap dances and drinks instead of doing their jobs, then. I have never heard of a strip club where you couldn't go off menu for the right price. (and no, the "right price" is not the VIP Room) Not every girl will do this, of course, but going .000 with at least 8 at-bats means they really did not know what they were doing.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2018, 11:22:18 AM »

or the strippers knew they were cops
Fight for Trump
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2018, 11:28:03 AM »

Which, again, means the cops were either doing a terrible job or were just there to enjoy taxpayer-funded lap dances.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2018, 11:35:06 AM »

Which, again, means the cops were either doing a terrible job or were just there to enjoy taxpayer-funded lap dances.

In NOLA, it's probably a combination of both things.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2018, 02:53:36 PM »

I agree with dead0man obviously, buy it's weird he brings this up since he gave me so much crap about strip clubs when I went to them regularly.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2018, 03:42:57 PM »

LOL at the idea that New Orleans will ever be lacking in strip clubs.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2018, 05:32:55 PM »

The cops must have just blown money on lap dances and drinks instead of doing their jobs, then. I have never heard of a strip club where you couldn't go off menu for the right price. (and no, the "right price" is not the VIP Room) Not every girl will do this, of course, but going .000 with at least 8 at-bats means they really did not know what they were doing.

Pretty much but this isn't the human slavery we are really talking about.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2018, 08:57:00 PM »

Prostitution is one thing; sexual slavery is another. In sexual slavery one often finds horrible violence, child abuse, and often violations of immigration laws.

dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2018, 05:02:09 AM »

Prostitution is one thing; sexual slavery is another. In sexual slavery one often finds horrible violence, child abuse, and often violations of immigration laws.

and despite months of looking, they found nothing.  Because it's not common or found at regular strip clubs in the middle of large American cities in 2018.
I agree with dead0man obviously, buy it's weird he brings this up since he gave me so much crap about strip clubs when I went to them regularly.
again, for the what, 50th time?  Just because I don't like something doesn't mean I want it banned (or sin taxed Wink ).  This is a simple idea (the only kind I'm allowed to have, doctor's orders), not sure why so many people can't figure it out.  Are you waiting for an exception?
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2018, 08:39:55 AM »

Detritus, Michigan still qualifies as a large city.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2018, 09:02:11 AM »

I've never heard of it.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2018, 09:05:11 AM »

Slang for "Detroit".
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2018, 09:16:12 AM »

There is sexual slavery going on in Detroit strip clubs?  Like, above the board, liqueur license having, ad in the Yellow Pages strip clubs?  cite?  Something should be done about that.  My Google Fu is only turning up a couple of Ukrainian girls in 2005.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2018, 11:09:25 AM »

In related news, NO city council decides not to set a hard limit on the number of strip clubs.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies