HI-1: Kaniela Ing vs Doug Chin
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 02:43:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  HI-1: Kaniela Ing vs Doug Chin
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19
Author Topic: HI-1: Kaniela Ing vs Doug Chin  (Read 37483 times)
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.25, S: -6.50

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #400 on: August 11, 2018, 10:43:44 PM »

Hey guys, just to let you know

https://www.civilbeat.org/2018/08/it-looks-like-voter-turnout-will-be-as-low-as-ever-for-saturdays-primary/

This primary may have one of the lowest turnout in a long time. It may throw a wrench in our predictions.

Why is Hawaiian voter turnout always incredibly pathetic?
Its because of an earlier complaint i made in this thread.

Its on a Saturday, which while should boost turnout theoretically, doesnt, because every other election is on a Tuesday. Its why special elections on odd days have had only a couple hundred voters where a district similar to it on a Tuesday would have 1000

But Hawaiian turnout is always consistently terrible. It had literally 43% of eligible voters turnout in 2016. 43%! No other state was even below 50%.
Umm, it had 58% turnout in 2016.

http://www.electproject.org/2016g

It had 43%.
wouldn't it just be easier to use overall turnout and not VEP?

What does "overall turnout" even mean here? I can't even find any source for Hawaii having 58% turnout anywhere outside of an uncited number from Wikipedia.

In any case, Hawaiian turnout is still among the worst in the nation.
Its out of the registered voter population, instead of the overall eligible voter population.
ON Progressive
OntarioProgressive
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -8.70

« Reply #401 on: August 11, 2018, 10:57:26 PM »

https://www.civilbeat.org/2018/08/it-looks-like-voter-turnout-will-be-as-low-as-ever-for-saturdays-primary/

This primary may have one of the lowest turnout in a long time. It may throw a wrench in our predictions.

Its on a Saturday, which while should boost turnout theoretically, doesnt, because every other election is on a Tuesday. Its why special elections on odd days have had only a couple hundred voters where a district similar to it on a Tuesday would have 1000

But Hawaiian turnout is always consistently terrible. It had literally 43% of eligible voters turnout in 2016. 43%! No other state was even below 50%.

It had 43%.

What does "overall turnout" even mean here? I can't even find any source for Hawaii having 58% turnout anywhere outside of an uncited number from Wikipedia.

Its out of the registered voter population, instead of the overall eligible voter population.

OK, you're right that it was 58% among registered voters. I perfer VEP personally though. I don't see the advantage that using just registered voters has. Hawaii does score better in that though.
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #402 on: August 11, 2018, 11:00:45 PM »

It had 43%.

OK, you're right that it was 58% among registered voters. I perfer VEP personally though. I don't see the advantage that using just registered voters has. Hawaii does score better in that though.
Thats cool, I prefer registered voters cause it gives an idea on how many people who are eligible to vote voted.

Anyway, polls have closed, so now we have to wait a bit(45 minutes) for the first results.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #403 on: August 11, 2018, 11:21:15 PM »

Kaniela Ing already has a "no matter what happens tonight" tweet out.
Chief Justice Keef
etr906
United States

« Reply #404 on: August 11, 2018, 11:29:52 PM »

I will say that I'm not expecting Ing to win tonight (I think Case has got this), but in my opinion, this was the best ad released this political cycle, on an existential level.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2018/08/this-is-the-most-remarkable-political-ad-of-2018.html
Ohioguy29

« Reply #405 on: August 12, 2018, 12:15:14 AM »

Satisfying to see Ing doing so badly. Not that I like anyone else running, but at least they don't use campaign donations to pay off their credit cards.
Chief Justice Keef
etr906
United States

« Reply #406 on: August 12, 2018, 12:18:29 AM »

Satisfying to see Ing doing so badly. Not that I like anyone else running, but at least they don't use campaign donations to pay off their credit cards.

Hooray for Iraq War boosters!
Ohioguy29

« Reply #407 on: August 12, 2018, 01:53:05 AM »

Pardon me for caring about ethics even slightly.
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #408 on: August 12, 2018, 07:02:51 AM »

Case won
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #409 on: August 12, 2018, 07:24:57 AM »

I'm genuinely surprised that Case won. The guy's last successful election was 14 years ago.
wesmoorenerd
westroopnerd
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -7.13

« Reply #410 on: August 12, 2018, 07:45:57 AM »

I'm genuinely surprised that Case won. The guy's last successful election was 14 years ago.

Well, the silver lining of blowing four different elections in the last sixteen years is it builds you some name recognition.
Jeppe
Bosse
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -4.00

« Reply #411 on: August 12, 2018, 09:25:22 AM »

I hope Hanabusa primaries Case in 2020. It honestly seems like she’s the best politician that Hawaii’s 1st can actually elect.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #412 on: August 12, 2018, 09:38:04 AM »

Iraq War is definitely more ethical than like $15,000 in money screw-ups
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #413 on: August 12, 2018, 09:48:58 AM »

I mean I supported Case but it's not like there were stellar candidates this cycle in this district or anything. As for Ing, I would not be surprised if he didn't have the money to pay off credit cards given his background anyway (so it's like trying to fault a person with no job from getting evvicated) but while I know Ing has said it was his mistake, I don't know if my theory for sure was correct and personally wasn't willing to fully overlook that and support him. I could somewhat understand why others, especially ones to my left, did, however.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #414 on: August 12, 2018, 10:27:08 AM »

Well, the silver lining of blowing four different elections in the last sixteen years is it builds you some name recognition.

Wasn't Chin the candidate with most name recognition?
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #415 on: August 12, 2018, 10:54:14 AM »

Not being able to afford a good campaign treasurer in your first couple of campaigns really doesn't compare to much the average center left/right politician gets up to morally.

But obviously ethics are a different cat - a sedated, desanguinated, legalized version of morality designed to protect evil as long as its i's are dotted and its t's are crossed.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #416 on: August 12, 2018, 10:59:28 AM »

Not being able to afford a good campaign treasurer in your first couple of campaigns really doesn't compare to much the average center left/right politician gets up to morally.

But obviously ethics are a different cat - a sedated, desanguinated, legalized version of morality designed to protect evil as long as its i's are dotted and its t's are crossed.

So we're arguing in favour of crime now. Cool.
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #417 on: August 12, 2018, 11:00:11 AM »

Case winning was probably the second best scenario, with Ing being the best.

Now, in 2020, we can just primary him with one opponent, and I dont think HI will take kindly to his Blue Dog-ness being displayed again.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #418 on: August 12, 2018, 11:00:44 AM »

He is a bastard. But he is OUR bastard.
Lexii, harbinger of chaos and sexual anarchy
Alex
Junior Chimp
Argentina

« Reply #419 on: August 12, 2018, 11:04:39 AM »

Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #420 on: August 12, 2018, 11:41:13 AM »

Starvation, poverty, and war are crimes, being unable to hire a good treasurer is an accounting error Smiley
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #421 on: August 12, 2018, 11:53:07 AM »

Starvation, poverty, and war are crimes, being unable to hire a good treasurer is an accounting error Smiley

If you are unable to hire a good treasurer then don't run for congress. I'm pretty sure America can survive without Ing's help.
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #422 on: August 12, 2018, 11:55:27 AM »

If you are unable to hire a good treasurer then don't run for congress. I'm pretty sure America can survive without Ing's help.

Not really, given the way people with your ideology have been running it.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #423 on: August 12, 2018, 12:04:24 PM »

As part of one's citizenship in a democracy, they sign a contract with the country- the country, with the three branches of government as its arm, keeps the order and prevents anarchy by creating and enforcing laws. In return you, well, keep these laws.

When someone wants to become a lawmaker, they should be held to a standard which includes following these laws. If they're unable to follow this standard, they're unworthy.

That's not to say that laws can't be unjust, and that all laws are created equal- however, financial laws are not unjust, and as far as I'm aware starvation, poverty, and war (lol) aren't part of the U.S.'s book of laws. Thus, they aren't crimes.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #424 on: August 12, 2018, 12:04:54 PM »

Not really, given the way people with your ideology have been running it.

Kid, you don't even know what YOUR ideology is.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies