HI-1: Kaniela Ing vs Doug Chin
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 03:28:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  HI-1: Kaniela Ing vs Doug Chin
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19
Author Topic: HI-1: Kaniela Ing vs Doug Chin  (Read 37485 times)
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #375 on: August 10, 2018, 04:51:26 PM »

I would support Charles Djou than Ed Case
Charles Djou is now an independent, too.

I know but he would be cross endorsed as the Hawaiian GOP is Moderate
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #376 on: August 10, 2018, 11:16:52 PM »

Knowing Case even if he doesn't lose he'll vacate the seat eventually anyway to do something like primary challenge Schatz and get clobbered. Point is he's less likely to stick around long than the rest of the awful non-Ing candidates.

Absolutely. The prospect of Chin or Fukumoto winning and receiving national attention ("The man who sued President Blunpf is now headed to Washington!" or "She was a Republican... Then Blunpf happened and she's ready to fight!", etc.) is nausea-inducing - At least Case will be relegated to the status of irrelevant flotsam until he runs his next futile statewide campaign as you stated.
Yeah, Ed Case is probably the least worst out of the non-Ing candidates. The thought of Fukumoto in congress is literally nauseating.

I'm also pretty sure that Case would basically just be a generic D in voting record if the Democrats held the House.

I'm hoping that someone like a more establishment-connected but still pretty progressive state legislator sees him as vulnerable and goes after him in 2020. As awesome as Ing is, someone like him is clearly not the right fit for Hawaii, sadly.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #377 on: August 11, 2018, 06:45:19 AM »

Knowing Case even if he doesn't lose he'll vacate the seat eventually anyway to do something like primary challenge Schatz and get clobbered. Point is he's less likely to stick around long than the rest of the awful non-Ing candidates.

Absolutely. The prospect of Chin or Fukumoto winning and receiving national attention ("The man who sued President Blunpf is now headed to Washington!" or "She was a Republican... Then Blunpf happened and she's ready to fight!", etc.) is nausea-inducing - At least Case will be relegated to the status of irrelevant flotsam until he runs his next futile statewide campaign as you stated.
Yeah, Ed Case is probably the least worst out of the non-Ing candidates. The thought of Fukumoto in congress is literally nauseating.

I'm also pretty sure that Case would basically just be a generic D in voting record if the Democrats held the House.

Why in the world do you think so? All indicators point to him being a corporate shill.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #378 on: August 11, 2018, 06:47:44 AM »

Why in the world do you think so? All indicators point to him being a corporate shill.

Self preservation, presumably.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #379 on: August 11, 2018, 06:50:42 AM »

Most corporate shill bills won't even be coming for a vote, and say what you will about Nancy Pelosi: she's really good at enforcing party unity.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #380 on: August 11, 2018, 06:53:54 AM »

If Hawaii Democrats had much interest in punishing representatives who go against their policy views, I can't see why Ed Case would be winning the primary in the first place.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #381 on: August 11, 2018, 06:58:19 AM »

If Hawaii Democrats had much interest in punishing representatives who go against their policy views, I can't see why Ed Case would be winning the primary in the first place.

Extremely split field + all the candidates are very flawed. But I see your point. It was disgusting that Case got as much support as he did against Akaka in 2006 and Hirono in 2012.
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #382 on: August 11, 2018, 07:33:53 AM »

Extremely split field + all the candidates are very flawed. But I see your point. It was disgusting that Case got as much support as he did against Akaka in 2006 and Hirono in 2012.

Remember This was a Sanders State
Jeppe
Bosse
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -4.00

« Reply #383 on: August 11, 2018, 07:59:40 AM »

Remember This was a Sanders State

30,000 people voted in the caucus (2.1% turnout). Caucuses are undemocratic and unrepresentative.
Alabama_Indy10
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #384 on: August 11, 2018, 09:29:54 AM »

Can we please change the title of this thread?
Drew
drewmike87
United States

« Reply #385 on: August 11, 2018, 09:55:57 AM »

Can we please change the title of this thread?

Agreed.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #386 on: August 11, 2018, 01:34:36 PM »

I will be very happy if Ing loses tonight. But muah Ocasio won by a giant 4k vote margin in super high turnout race! Sothat means Welder, Ing, and all her buddies are a lock too!!
Chief Justice Keef
etr906
United States

« Reply #387 on: August 11, 2018, 01:39:22 PM »

I will be very happy if Chin loses tonight. But muah Blue Dogs and Joe "thug life" Manchin!
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #388 on: August 11, 2018, 02:48:22 PM »

I will be very happy if Chin loses tonight. But muah Blue Dogs and Joe "thug life" Manchin!

So your telling me you will be happy if it's anyone but Chin?
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.25, S: -6.50

« Reply #389 on: August 11, 2018, 04:58:54 PM »

Hey guys, just to let you know

https://www.civilbeat.org/2018/08/it-looks-like-voter-turnout-will-be-as-low-as-ever-for-saturdays-primary/

This primary may have one of the lowest turnout in a long time. It may throw a wrench in our predictions.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #390 on: August 11, 2018, 05:00:26 PM »

https://www.civilbeat.org/2018/08/it-looks-like-voter-turnout-will-be-as-low-as-ever-for-saturdays-primary/

This primary may have one of the lowest turnout in a long time. It may throw a wrench in our predictions.

As long as Ing is blocked I can sleep tonight.
ON Progressive
OntarioProgressive
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -8.70

« Reply #391 on: August 11, 2018, 05:21:38 PM »

Why is Hawaiian voter turnout always incredibly pathetic?
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #392 on: August 11, 2018, 05:22:58 PM »

Go Ing. We don’t need two fake progressives for Hawaii’s House delegation.
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #393 on: August 11, 2018, 05:48:47 PM »

Its because of an earlier complaint i made in this thread.

Its on a Saturday, which while should boost turnout theoretically, doesnt, because every other election is on a Tuesday. Its why special elections on odd days have had only a couple hundred voters where a district similar to it on a Tuesday would have 1000

Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #394 on: August 11, 2018, 08:51:37 PM »

Wow, turnout is really bad this year.

According to estimates, it looks like this primary will have turnout anywhere from 16-20%.
ON Progressive
OntarioProgressive
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #395 on: August 11, 2018, 10:30:10 PM »

Its on a Saturday, which while should boost turnout theoretically, doesnt, because every other election is on a Tuesday. Its why special elections on odd days have had only a couple hundred voters where a district similar to it on a Tuesday would have 1000

But Hawaiian turnout is always consistently terrible. It had literally 43% of eligible voters turnout in 2016. 43%! No other state was even below 50%.
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #396 on: August 11, 2018, 10:31:30 PM »

But Hawaiian turnout is always consistently terrible. It had literally 43% of eligible voters turnout in 2016. 43%! No other state was even below 50%.
Umm, it had 58% turnout in 2016.
ON Progressive
OntarioProgressive
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #397 on: August 11, 2018, 10:32:42 PM »

http://www.electproject.org/2016g

It had 43%.
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #398 on: August 11, 2018, 10:35:43 PM »

It had 43%.
wouldn't it just be easier to use overall turnout and not VEP?
ON Progressive
OntarioProgressive
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #399 on: August 11, 2018, 10:41:27 PM »

It had 43%.
wouldn't it just be easier to use overall turnout and not VEP?

What does "overall turnout" even mean here? I can't even find any source for Hawaii having 58% turnout anywhere outside of an uncited number from Wikipedia.

In any case, Hawaiian turnout is still among the worst in the nation.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies