NJ-11: Frelinghuysen retiring
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 06:01:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  NJ-11: Frelinghuysen retiring
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: NJ-11: Frelinghuysen retiring  (Read 8343 times)
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2018, 12:44:31 PM »

Trump's gonna be on the mind of almost every voter this  November.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2018, 12:48:33 PM »

This is the congressional district of Trump International Golf Course in Bedminster.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2018, 12:49:01 PM »

You guys are forgetting that the Morris County GOP has a huge bench

Any Italian or Irish NJ Republican can win this seat by not nationalizing Trump

The Republican candidate does not decide whether or not Trump is nationalized.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2018, 12:54:40 PM »

D+1. This district is trending D in the long term, so not surprised that he is retiring. Republicans will have a hard time keeping the House if this trend continues.
PragmaticPopulist
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -5.57

« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2018, 12:57:48 PM »

He was old, had been in the house for a long time, and his district was trending Dem. Phil Murphy narrowly won it last year. Makes sense if you think about it.
Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 9.53, S: 10.54

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2018, 01:01:14 PM »

Nothing about the gop is popular in Nj-11. They didnt like the AHCA, they obviously didn't like the tax reform, and they hate Trump. Any republican will lose in NJ now, likely by double digits. Their best hope was Rodney sending NJ-11 a bunch of earmarks to buy their votes.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2018, 01:06:14 PM »

I disagree that this district is trending D so much as revolted by Trump, but we'll see what the future holds. Either way 2018 is not a good year for an R here.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2018, 01:19:34 PM »

I’m really perplexed why these Republicans are all retiring, considering that this is probably going to be a nuetral cycle.

It's not going to be a neutral cycle. They know a wave is happening.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2018, 01:24:28 PM »

I’m really perplexed why these Republicans are all retiring, considering that this is probably going to be a nuetral cycle.

It's not going to be a neutral cycle. They know a wave is happening.

Don't feed the troll, and please don't quote him.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2018, 01:48:22 PM »

Another committee chairman retiring.
King Lear
Russian Federation

« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2018, 01:49:46 PM »
« Edited: January 29, 2018, 05:10:55 PM by King Lear »

If Democrats are going to flip the House this year, then this is definitely a must-win district for them. The fact that Frelinghuysen is retiring, definitely makes this a much easier pickup for Democrats. However, the one big problem Democrats may face in some of these wealthy, White, Suburban, districts, is that with the big Tax cuts and the booming stock market it's going to be hard for Rich, bigoted, White people to vote for Democrats that will raise their taxes and give their money to the "others" (ie. Black people).
PragmaticPopulist
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -5.57

« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2018, 01:55:53 PM »

If Democrats are going to flip the House this year, then this is definitely a must-win district for them. The fact that Frekinghuysen is retiring, definitely makes this a much easier pickup for Democrats. However, the one big problem Democrats may face in some of these wealthy, White, Suburban, districts, is that with the big Tax cuts and the booming stock market, it’s going to be difficult to get these rich, bigoted, White people to vote for Democrats who will raise their taxes and give their money to the “others” (ie. Black people).
1) This is a SALT state, so the tax cut might've actually hurt them
2) What makes you think the residents of the district are mostly "bigoted"? That's the inverse of urbanites calling rural dwellers bigoted
3) Nice concern trolling post
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2018, 01:58:46 PM »

Another committee chairman retiring.

1/3rd of all GOP committeemen have quit

Blue tsunami imminent
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2018, 02:03:37 PM »
« Edited: January 29, 2018, 02:08:33 PM by Nyvin »

Sabato moved it to tossup.

With this there are now 20 Republican held seats in either the tossup or lean Dem categories.  

That's either 3 or 4 (depending on PA-18) away from flipping the house without any Lean R seats (also assuming Dems hold MI-13 obviously)
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2018, 02:07:31 PM »

Oh yeah, I suspect 10-2 is probably the most likely end result. But 12-0 is within the bell curve of probability, albeit an outside chance and a slim probability right now.  

Two things. 1 - Murphy won this seat by 1%, even though he barely won Suburban Somerset, and he ran against Christie rather then Trump. 2 - I think you should check your ratings scale since you rated a opem 75-25 Clinton senate seat in New York and Westchester as a Lean R.

1) Where is the 2017 NJ GOV Murphy vs. Guadagno results by congressional district? I would like to see it.
2) Morris County is a traditional Republican stronghold of affluent and educated suburbs. I say Lean R/Tossup, because a Bucco or Jay Webber could run.
SNJ1985
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.19, S: 7.57

« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2018, 02:12:43 PM »

''Democrats are favored to take back the House, so let's needlessly make their path to victory even easier!"' - Retiring Republican ''logic''
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #41 on: January 29, 2018, 02:30:27 PM »

99.9% of people in the 11th District do not care what ethnicity their damn congressional candidates are.

I do happen to agree the Morris GOP bench is good, but it's an open seat and Sherill has both a solid war chest and the national environment at her back. Probably a Toss-Up, but close to Lean D
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #42 on: January 29, 2018, 02:45:30 PM »

It's Webber's or Becchi's to lose.

LimoLiberal
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.71, S: -4.00

« Reply #43 on: January 29, 2018, 02:47:47 PM »
« Edited: January 29, 2018, 02:53:32 PM by LimoLiberal »

Hello Congresswoman Mikie Sherrill (D-NJ).

I think this hurts Sherrill's chances. She was a slam-dunk against Frelinghuysen, the definition of a weak incumbent. If someone like Jay Webber (i.e. a conventional, popular Republican) jumps in, she might have a bigger fight.

This is the congressional district of Trump International Golf Course in Bedminster.

That's Lance's district (the seventh).

The most annoying people on the internet are the moderate GOP #nevertrumpers who like electoral politics and try to spin every development into a "win" for the GOP. I saw at least three takes online saying Issa and Royce retiring was actually a boon for the GOP because they were disliked or something...

If an incumbent without a scandal is retiring, their district becomes more competitive. That's how it works.
Pessimistic Antineutrino
Pessimistic Antineutrino
United States

« Reply #44 on: January 29, 2018, 03:30:04 PM »

The most annoying people on the internet are the moderate GOP #nevertrumpers who like electoral politics and try to spin every development into a "win" for the GOP. I saw at least three takes online saying Issa and Royce retiring was actually a boon for the GOP because they were disliked or something...

If an incumbent without a scandal is retiring, their district becomes more competitive. That's how it works.

Look up my scant post history. I think I have at least three comments suggesting that Frelinghuysen should retire to help the party. I have been saying so for months.

Obviously Royce's retirement is bad for the party — we now have no real shot in that district. Issa's is probably neutral just due to the advantages of incumbency, but Frelinghuysen was essentially toxic. I am glad he retired, even though I support him personally. He could not win against Sherrill.

Anyway, Frelinghuysen is not an incumbent without a scandal, so I'm not sure why you're bringing this rant here:

https://www.politico.com/story/2017/05/16/rodney-frelinghuysen-ethics-complaint-238452

Agreed 100%. Frelinghuysen was essentially DOA to someone like Sherrill; his campaign machinery is rusty at best (think Mica) and he has not been positioning himself well at all (not holding town halls, etc). Him retiring could be a net positive if a strong candidate like Jay Webber jumps in but that's not a given at this point. I'm keeping this seat as a Tossup but Tilting D as I have for a while, it's just the retirement makes things a lot more volatile.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #45 on: January 29, 2018, 03:35:32 PM »

And now Frelinghuysen!
Obama-Biden Democrat
Zyzz
Junior Chimp

« Reply #46 on: January 29, 2018, 03:42:49 PM »

Lean D.

God new Jersey is going to be a bloodbath for 2018 republicans isn't it? NJ-02 is on the fast track to being triaged with Van Drew, NJ-11 is now a tossup at worst, NJ-07 is moving towards tossup, NJ-03 is blessed with MacArthur and his Health Care fiasco, and NJ-04's Chris Smith is on the retirement watch-list due to his age and moderation. This congressional map was drawn to be a 6-6, and their is now an outside chance of it being 12-0 in 2019. A total dummymander.

I'd say 11-1 is a serious possibility; I really doubt Dems pick up Smith's seat even if he retires.

I have always thought it was really weird that a solid D state like NJ has a 6-6 congressional delegation.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #47 on: January 29, 2018, 03:44:26 PM »

Who should NJ GOP go with:

Assemblyman Tony Bucco, aligned himself with Jerome Corsi, a right-wing journalist and author who said that former President Barack Obama was not born in America, essentially a birther?

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2012/04/nj_assemblyman_says_jerome_cor.html

http://blog.nj.com/njv_editorial_page/2012/04/morris_county_republicans_birt.html

State Senator Joe Pennachio, who created a Nationalist agenda in the early 1990s after rampant disillusionment with Reagan-Bush?

https://web.archive.org/web/20080516221815/http://www.politickernj.com/files/2008-03-17_NationalistAgenda.pdf

If Bucco is the GOP nominee, Sherill could win with tying Bucco to Corsi!

It's still Lean R/Tossup. It's still Christie country.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #48 on: January 29, 2018, 03:50:38 PM »

Lean D.

God new Jersey is going to be a bloodbath for 2018 republicans isn't it? NJ-02 is on the fast track to being triaged with Van Drew, NJ-11 is now a tossup at worst, NJ-07 is moving towards tossup, NJ-03 is blessed with MacArthur and his Health Care fiasco, and NJ-04's Chris Smith is on the retirement watch-list due to his age and moderation. This congressional map was drawn to be a 6-6, and their is now an outside chance of it being 12-0 in 2019. A total dummymander.

I'd say 11-1 is a serious possibility; I really doubt Dems pick up Smith's seat even if he retires.

I have always thought it was really weird that a solid D state like NJ has a 6-6 congressional delegation.

NJ elects Republicans under right circumstances, there are plenty of moderate Republicans in NJ....Christie Whitman, Tom Kean, Chris Christie.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #49 on: January 29, 2018, 03:56:28 PM »

What about Rosemary Becchi, a lawyer and lobbyist?

https://www.mcguirewoods.com/People/B/Rosemary-Becchi.aspx#overview

Becchi vs. Sherill would be a tossup.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies