Tim's (mostly) nonpartisan redistricting series
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 03:18:51 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Tim's (mostly) nonpartisan redistricting series
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Tim's (mostly) nonpartisan redistricting series  (Read 776 times)
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 28, 2018, 01:57:50 AM »
« edited: January 28, 2018, 02:07:33 AM by Southern Deputy Speaker/National Archivist TimTurner »

Starting off with PA.
(I lack DRA access; help in refining the lines on part of those who do have access, that would be welcomed)
The western Philly seat and the E Philly seat are intended to be divided by Broad Street. I am not sure where the southern borders for said seats would exactly lie...
Also, in regards to the table, C-R-M-K means Clinton, Romney, McCain, and Kerry all won a particular district; T-O-O-B means Trump, Obama '12, Obama '08, and Bush all won a particular district.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2018, 03:20:30 PM »

New York!
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2018, 08:07:18 PM »

Starting off with PA.
(I lack DRA access; help in refining the lines on part of those who do have access, that would be welcomed)
The western Philly seat and the E Philly seat are intended to be divided by Broad Street. I am not sure where the southern borders for said seats would exactly lie...
Also, in regards to the table, C-R-M-K means Clinton, Romney, McCain, and Kerry all won a particular district; T-O-O-B means Trump, Obama '12, Obama '08, and Bush all won a particular district.

The maximum tolerated deviation for PA is a little over 3K - 0.5% in either way. I know cause I had to deal with it when creating a PA map.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2018, 02:46:15 AM »

Starting off with PA.

The maximum tolerated deviation for PA is a little over 3K - 0.5% in either way. I know cause I had to deal with it when creating a PA map.
I know. In this project, it is +/-5%. I am seeing how many counties I can keep whole with higher deviation, while still having logical districts.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2018, 04:30:50 AM »

muon2
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2018, 09:17:11 AM »

I love what you're doing; it reminds me of posts I was making here before 2009 when there was no DRA. The only quibble is that your ranges are quite large, approximately 9% in the OH map. That would pass legal muster for legislative districts, but SCOTUS requires a smaller range for CDs. I use a maximum of 1% which was essentially upheld this decade (0.79% in WV).
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2018, 10:48:22 AM »

I love what you're doing; it reminds me of posts I was making here before 2009 when there was no DRA. The only quibble is that your ranges are quite large, approximately 9% in the OH map. That would pass legal muster for legislative districts, but SCOTUS requires a smaller range for CDs. I use a maximum of 1% which was essentially upheld this decade (0.79% in WV).

Like I said above, 0.5% either way is the legal standard except in a few rare circumstances. That said I often do scenarios like above, which I call "UK style." Here, I allow myself 5% deviation and 10% range, as long as I minimize cuts and keep communities whole - like in the UK.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2018, 04:11:56 PM »
« Edited: January 29, 2018, 04:17:05 PM by Southern Deputy Speaker/National Archivist TimTurner »

I fully admit that -/+ 5% deviation is way beyond what is legal standard here in America. The challenge for me in this series is to conceive districts that have larger deviation if necessary, but split fewer counties. Pennsylvania is a very good example of how this affects things - you can reduce the number of chops dramatically.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2018, 04:24:23 PM »

TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States