NV-04: Horsford in
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 29, 2024, 03:04:50 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  NV-04: Horsford in
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: NV-04: Horsford in  (Read 1927 times)
Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 26, 2018, 03:33:15 AM »

Steven Horsford is in.
Cactus Jack
azcactus
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2018, 04:12:52 AM »

Really, Steve? Really?

At this rate, he might actually split the establishment Reid Machine vote with Spearman and allow Vilela to slip through the primary.
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2018, 04:21:03 AM »

Also Hosford being black in a mostly white and Hispanic district and having never run in a contested race primary in the district. The only thing he brings to the table is higher name recognition.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2018, 07:46:11 AM »

Endorsed! 
Roronoa D. Law
Patrick97
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2018, 09:01:52 AM »

Former Kentuckian
Cal

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2018, 10:22:54 AM »

I wonder if Dina Titus publicly saying he shouldn't run actually had the opposite effect
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2018, 10:23:20 AM »

Hope Spearman wins
Jeppe
Bosse
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -4.00

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2018, 10:28:37 AM »

publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2018, 11:34:07 AM »

Yay! Split the vote for Spearman and let Vilela through please.
DemocraticKing
Rookie

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2018, 11:51:23 AM »

Also Hosford being black in a mostly white and Hispanic district and having never run in a contested race primary in the district. The only thing he brings to the table is higher name recognition.

It's 15% black, and I'm sure that that number is much higher in a democratic primary. North Las Vegas and other areas with high black populations are concentrated in the district.
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2018, 12:11:22 PM »

Not sure why anyone would want Hosford. He's a retread who lived in DC for a while. I suppose Spearman and Vilela are too liberal?

It's 15% black, and I'm sure that that number is much higher in a democratic primary. North Las Vegas and other areas with high black populations are concentrated in the district.

15% black would be like 1/3 of the district electorate, and that'd be split between Hosford and Spearman (granted, Spearman certainly has appeal to progressives as well).

Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2018, 12:54:20 PM »

Not sure why anyone would want Hosford. He's a retread who lived in DC for a while. I suppose Spearman and Vilela are too liberal?

15% black would be like 1/3 of the district electorate, and that'd be split between Hosford and Spearman (granted, Spearman certainly has appeal to progressives as well).

- I hadn’t wanted Horsford to run either until I read an article about him by Jon Ralston.  It sounds like (especially in the legislature, but even in the House) Horsford was very much a workhorse legislator with more of an interest in policy rather than some do-nothing backbencher, bomb-thrower, or someone who simply sees this as a stepping stone.  I don’t think he really belongs in the same category as someone like Ashford (who will be the nominee in NE-2).  He also wasn’t a conservadem or someone who went out of his way to screw over the base, so I’m not sure what’s supposed to be so bad about him.  Horsford’s probably a lock in the primary and certainly should have the full support of the Reid machine (Spearman is basically SoL).  I’d bet this turns out a bit like the 2016 primary, but with Horsford winning by a lot more and Spearman doing much worse than Lee.  I’d be okay with Vilela running for something else, but I think this is reflective of a problem with the Berniecrats’ overall approach.  It’d be better to have some of these folks run for the state legislature or city office and gradually move the party towards there position from the bottom up rather than running for the very top jobs and acting as though they expect everyone else to just roll over for them.  That and effectively using the levers of institutional power within the party would work best, but I digress.  The point is that Horsford was likely (and would likely be if elected) a more effective representative than anyone else running and he isn’t a conservadem or a useless retread.

- I think the African-American vote will go pretty heavily for Horsford.  Like I said, Spearman is kinda out of luck here. 
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2018, 01:11:17 PM »

- I hadn’t wanted Horsford to run either until I read an article about him by Jon Ralston.  It sounds like (especially in the legislature, but even in the House) Horsford was very much a workhorse legislator with more of an interest in policy rather than some do-nothing backbencher, bomb-thrower, or someone who simply sees this as a stepping stone.  I don’t think he really belongs in the same category as someone like Ashford (who will be the nominee in NE-2).  He also wasn’t a conservadem or someone who went out of his way to screw over the base, so I’m not sure what’s supposed to be so bad about him.  Horsford’s probably a lock in the primary and certainly should have the full support of the Reid machine (Spearman is basically SoL).  I’d bet this turns out a bit like the 2016 primary, but with Horsford winning by a lot more and Spearman doing much worse than Lee.  I’d be okay with Vilela running for something else, but I think this is reflective of a problem with the Berniecrats’ overall approach.  It’d be better to have some of these folks run for the state legislature or city office and gradually move the party towards there position from the bottom up rather than running for the very top jobs and acting as though they expect everyone else to just roll over for them.  That and effectively using the levers of institutional power within the party would work best, but I digress.  The point is that Horsford was likely (and would likely be if elected) a more effective representative than anyone else running and he isn’t a conservadem or a useless retread.

- I think the African-American vote will go pretty heavily for Horsford.  Like I said, Spearman is kinda out of luck here. 

Spearman did kick out Jonh Jay Lee out of his senate seat in a senate primary, and is on Dem leadership, so she's far from a weak candidate. Honestly, you're far from wrong when it comes to the apporach of some Berniecrats (especially Justice Dems); I think Vilela is really just interested in one primary issue: fighting for Medicare for All, but given her background, authenticity, and story, she's a great candidate anyway.
Cactus Jack
azcactus
United States

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2018, 01:25:23 PM »

Spearman did kick out Jonh Jay Lee out of his senate seat in a senate primary, and is on Dem leadership, so she's far from a weak candidate. Honestly, you're far from wrong when it comes to the apporach of some Berniecrats (especially Justice Dems); I think Vilela is really just interested in one primary issue: fighting for Medicare for All, but given her background, authenticity, and story, she's a great candidate anyway.

That's the thing about Vilela. I respect very, very few Justice Democrats, and the few that I do tend to suffer from the same issue of getting their eyes way too big for their campaigns. But Vilela has a good personality, a good platform (one which I respect all the more for her insistence that we "protect and then expand Obamacare into a single-payer system," rather than throwing it out completely), and a story that's effective and sympathetic for all the most terrible reasons. Normally I'm willing to defer to Reid's chosen candidate in Nevada races, since he so rarely gets it wrong, but NV-04 is one example of a race where I'm pulling for the underdog.
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2018, 01:46:54 PM »

Horsford is great. He'll win in a walk.
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2018, 01:54:36 PM »

Considering that the race between Hillary and Bernie was close, although it was statewide, is it likely that Vilela has a good chance to pull it through?
Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2018, 01:57:02 PM »

Cactus Jack
azcactus
United States

« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2018, 03:19:23 PM »

Considering that the race between Hillary and Bernie was close, although it was statewide, is it likely that Vilela has a good chance to pull it through?

Well, she needs to ramp up her campaign and take advantage of the divide. Like Bernie, she started out as an "awareness candidate" of sorts, but Kihuen's departure left her as the only serious player left in the race for about a month or so.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2018, 03:28:14 PM »

Barf.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2018, 03:28:45 PM »

Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2018, 05:48:04 PM »

No
Jeppe
Bosse
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2018, 04:03:30 PM »

Spearman shouldn’t be underestimated. She primaried the current mayor of North Las Vegas out of his Senate seat by a 2-1 margin several years ago, and he had no scandals.
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2018, 04:33:14 PM »

Really, Steve? Really?

At this rate, he might actually split the establishment Reid Machine vote with Spearman and allow Vilela to slip through the primary.
vilela has a great story, pls she is progressive
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2018, 05:45:55 PM »

Spearman shouldn’t be underestimated. She primaried the current mayor of North Las Vegas out of his Senate seat by a 2-1 margin several years ago, and he had no scandals.

Lee was a pro-life, anti-gay rights ConservaDem.
Jeppe
Bosse
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2018, 05:53:57 PM »

Lee was a pro-life, anti-gay rights ConservaDem.

But he was still endorsed and supported by the Reid machine, back when Reid had much more influence as a sitting Senator. Didn’t stop Lee from losing by a landslide.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies