Would you terminate a pregnancy if the pre-natal test was positive for DS?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 06:29:02 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Would you terminate a pregnancy if the pre-natal test was positive for DS?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Poll
Question: Would you?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 82

Author Topic: Would you terminate a pregnancy if the pre-natal test was positive for DS?  (Read 3656 times)
dw93
DWL
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2018, 12:41:38 AM »

Yes if it's relatively early (up to month 4 I guess). No if it's later.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2018, 12:43:38 AM »

Yes. Ignore, even, the realistic issues that parents have to face in that situation -
Down's Syndrome is a terrible life that I wouldn't wish on anyone.
Cold War Liberal
KennedyWannabe99
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.53

« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2018, 01:28:46 AM »

When my mom was pregnant with me, my parents were told that I was going to have down syndrome and abortion was put on the table. My mom chose not to terminate the pregnancy.

I was born without down syndrome.

If the fact that people with DS are people is somehow not enough, the fact that testing isn't accurate should be.

I am not against abortion. I am against abortion solely based on some possible negative disorder that the fetus may or may not even have.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2018, 01:32:41 AM »

When my mom was pregnant with me, my parents were told that I was going to have down syndrome and abortion was put on the table. My mom chose not to terminate the pregnancy.

If the fact that people with DS are people is somehow not enough, the fact that testing isn't accurate should be.

I am not against abortion. I am against abortion solely based on some possible negative disorder that the fetus may or may not even have.

What reason do you think it's acceptable to terminate a pregnancy, then?
Cold War Liberal
KennedyWannabe99
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2018, 02:27:59 AM »

Let me be clear: I'm saying (or trying and possibly failing to say) that someone who wants a child and plans on carrying the fetus to term but then is faced with the possibility of having a baby with DS should not have an abortion solely based on that diagnosis due to it possibly being incorrect. If this hypothetical person still went through with an abortion, then I'd support her right to do so, even if I objected to her decision on moral grounds.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2018, 03:05:41 AM »

If you are pro-choice and give people saying yes sh**t for saying yes, then you're an asshole and aren't really pro-choice.  The entire freaking point of "pro-choice" is to give the pregnant woman agency over her own body.  That's ok with you until a pregnant woman has a reason to do it you don't like?  eat poop
Cashew
United States

« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2018, 03:21:44 AM »

If you are pro-choice and give people saying yes sh**t for saying yes, then you're an asshole and aren't really pro-choice.  The entire freaking point of "pro-choice" is to give the pregnant woman agency over her own body.  That's ok with you until a pregnant woman has a reason to do it you don't like?  eat poop

You can be pro-choice and pro public shaming simultaneously.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2018, 04:29:30 AM »

And even for many pro-life people having a kid with down syndrome is enough for aboriton to be justifiable.

Then they aren't pro-life. 
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2018, 05:31:18 AM »
« Edited: January 26, 2018, 05:35:16 AM by Rep. Oakvale »

Let me be clear: I'm saying (or trying and possibly failing to say) that someone who wants a child and plans on carrying the fetus to term but then is faced with the possibility of having a baby with DS should not have an abortion solely based on that diagnosis due to it possibly being incorrect. If this hypothetical person still went through with an abortion, then I'd support her right to do so, even if I objected to her decision on moral grounds.

Sure. But, to you, in what situation, then, is abortion not morally objectionable? Only accidental pregnancy or rape etc.?
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2018, 06:31:14 AM »

Increased and welcome acceptance of people with Downs Syndrome and other conditions leads people being more willing to have high risk pregnancies and reducing their likelihood in selectively terminating.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2018, 06:33:45 AM »

Ah, yes, the surplus population!
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2018, 07:54:36 AM »

Why don't all the "yes" votes move to Nazi Germany? I mean, they really believed in that kind of thing there!
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2018, 08:35:18 AM »

Aside from those of us who view abortion as murder, I don't think any of us can really answer this confidently.
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2018, 09:05:36 AM »

all the 'yes' people should build an artificial island made of garbage in the ocean, name it Pen Island, move there, and found their own neo-fascist hellhole on it instead of pushing the notion that eugenics are okay on the rest of us.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2018, 09:12:37 AM »

Aside from those of us who view abortion as murder, I don't think any of us can really answer this confidently.

This, unless there is someone here who has actually been in a situation to make this decision in real life.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #40 on: January 26, 2018, 09:38:32 AM »

Increased and welcome acceptance of people with Downs Syndrome and other conditions leads people being more willing to have high risk pregnancies and reducing their likelihood in selectively terminating.

Please correct me if I'm wrong ... but assuming "high risk pregnancies" are universally viewed as a negative, it almost sounds like you're saying the acceptance of people with DS is a bad development?...
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #41 on: January 26, 2018, 10:12:47 AM »

I'd like to think not. But better support for parents with these circumstances would be a welcome development.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #42 on: January 26, 2018, 10:28:29 AM »

Well, of course.  I am, at the end of the day, just saying that I would like to believe I wouldn't.  However, I think the alarmingly cold attitudes of some like the OP should be universally sickening REGARDLESS of what you would do, and it's sad that they're not.
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #43 on: January 26, 2018, 11:05:31 AM »

RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #44 on: January 26, 2018, 11:07:47 AM »
« Edited: January 26, 2018, 11:09:36 AM by RFayette »

No, but also:

I don't see this as any morally worse than an abortion in typical circumstances.  I think both are wrong obviously, but this isn't a special case in my mind.
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #45 on: January 26, 2018, 11:22:33 AM »

If you are pro-choice and give people saying yes sh**t for saying yes, then you're an asshole and aren't really pro-choice.  The entire freaking point of "pro-choice" is to give the pregnant woman agency over her own body.  That's ok with you until a pregnant woman has a reason to do it you don't like?  eat poop

This, honestly. We can talk about the moral reprehensibility of a woman choosing to terminate her pregnancy if the child would have down syndrome versus terminating any pregnancy in general, but this is what it comes down to. If you're pro-choice, or claim to be, you have to be comfortable with the notion that some women will make the difficult decision to terminate pregnancies under circumstances you don't necessarily agree with. Some people are not fit to be parents to a child with down syndrome. Sometimes the best thing to do for a child whose needs exceed what the parents are capable of giving is terminate the pregnancy. That's not to say down syndrome children aren't valid and that parents who choose to raise a down syndrome child are "abnormal", but some people are just simply not capable of it.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #46 on: January 26, 2018, 11:22:43 AM »
« Edited: January 26, 2018, 11:24:14 AM by DavidB. »

It's not a noble choice, but I'm afraid I would prefer my partner to terminate the pregnancy, as having the baby would make my own life, my partner's life and my child's life so difficult. I hope I will think differently about this difficult issue in the future, but I have to be honest here.

Lots of nasty responses on this very difficult subject as well, which shows some posters' immaturity.
mvd10
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: -2.61

« Reply #47 on: January 26, 2018, 11:24:11 AM »

It's not a noble choice, but I'm afraid I would prefer my partner to terminate the pregnancy, as having the baby would make my own life, my partner's life and my child's life so difficult. I hope I will think differently about this difficult issue in the future, but I have to be honest here.

This
Cold War Liberal
KennedyWannabe99
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #48 on: January 26, 2018, 02:18:27 PM »
« Edited: January 27, 2018, 02:56:38 PM by JFK »

Sure. But, to you, in what situation, then, is abortion not morally objectionable? Only accidental pregnancy or rape etc.?
I don't really like abortion all that much. I'm not one of those who think it's murder (a fetus is not a person) but it has this quality about it that makes me slightly uncomfortable if it's not a fetus conceived of incest or rape or if the abortion isn't to save the mother etc. I wouldn't say that all abortion is "morally objectionable" to me but it's not exactly something I love. I'm much less OK with abortion after the fetus is viable, but that rarely ever happens, and if it does, it's almost always to save the mother, which is fine to me.

Every person has different morals. There's overlap, of course (most would say murder and rape are wrong, for example) but on things like abortion it's contentious. I wouldn't want other people forcing their morals on me with legislated equality (that would make my life as a gay man even more unpleasant than it already is) so why should I do the same to other people, especially since I'm a man and thus couldn't even have an abortion if I wanted to? I'm pro-choice because I don't want to take a woman's right to choose what she wants for her own body (the rights of the actual human being that is currently alive supersede the "rights" of the lump of cells that may or may not one day become a human), even if the choice she makes is one I disagree with. As R2D2 said in a post above:

If you're pro-choice, or claim to be, you have to be comfortable with the notion that some women will make the difficult decision to terminate pregnancies under circumstances you don't necessarily agree with.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #49 on: January 26, 2018, 02:26:09 PM »

You don't think it's possible to think something should be legal, yet morally objectionable?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies