Another question for Republicans
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 08:13:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Another question for Republicans
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Another question for Republicans  (Read 4414 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 01, 2004, 05:52:59 PM »

if Kerry loses the popular vote but wins the electoral, would you still support the electoral college?
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2004, 08:50:38 PM »

Yes I strongly favor the EC no matter what the results are. I think your signature and especially your name are very inflamatory.
StevenNick
StevenNick99

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2004, 09:11:55 PM »

The Electoral College is one of the greatest political inventions in history.  It really doesn't matter if a candidate wins the EV but not the Popular Vote, because the popular vote does not matter in the slightest.  There's really no reason to even bother with the popular vote.  I really don't understand why everyone makes such a big deal of it.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2004, 09:13:56 PM »

Yes, I would.  I would certainly hope that you Democrats would go on about how terrible it is that the popularly elected President didn't win though.
ShapeShifter

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2004, 09:17:02 PM »
« Edited: May 01, 2004, 09:17:16 PM by Senator ShapeShifter »

The Electoral College is one of the greatest political inventions in history.  It really doesn't matter if a candidate wins the EV but not the Popular Vote, because the popular vote does not matter in the slightest.  There's really no reason to even bother with the popular vote.  I really don't understand why everyone makes such a big deal of it.

No Big deal?

So, you feel that the minority should rule the earth? I don't know about that. I don't mind it happening once in awhile like 2000, but assume that it keeps happening. There going to be some really pissed of majority. Smiley
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2004, 09:19:30 PM »

No Big deal?

So, you feel that the minority should rule the earth? I don't know about that. I don't mind it happening once in awhile like 2000, but assume that it keeps happening. There going to be some really pissed of majority. Smiley

It won't keep happening.  One could arguee that winning the EC helped out your friend "Bubba".  If he hadn't won the EC, then he would have had absolutly no mandate from which to govern.  This has been true of many presidents.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2004, 09:20:19 PM »
« Edited: May 01, 2004, 09:20:39 PM by supersoulty »

No Big deal?

It won't keep happening.  One could arguee that winning the EC helped out your friend "Bubba".  If he hadn't won the EC, then he would have had absolutly no mandate from which to govern.  This has been true of many presidents.

Let me rephrase that:  If he had had no EC to win, then....
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2004, 09:21:50 PM »

Yes I strongly favor the EC no matter what the results are. I think your signature and especially your name are very inflamatory.

you clearly aren't a Woody Guthrie fan then. Actually neither am I, I don't like any music made before 1980, but man, Woody Guthrie was one awesome guy.
ElCidGOP
Rookie

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2004, 10:09:40 PM »

The EC rules.  It will never change.  We should stop discussing it.  Changing the Constitution is an impossibility.  We can't even pass an amendment that prevents a man from marrying another man.  Who wears the wedding dress, or do they both wear tuxedos? I'm so confused.  
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2004, 10:24:01 PM »

The verdict of the EC is the verdict of the EC.  It doesn't matter who wins the popular vote in my opinion.  The system works just fine.
agcatter
agcat
YaBB God

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2004, 10:38:18 PM »

The EC works fine and I have faith in the system.  If it produces a Democrat in the White House than so be it.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2004, 11:24:23 PM »

No, I would not.  The purpose of the electoral college is to preserve the republica though favoring non-regional candidates, rural voters, and smaller states.  Its purpose is quite literally to produce a more right-wing result (little secret, the Founding Fathers would make the current GOP look like pinkos).  So, if it wasn't working properly, I'd say it should be reformed to increase the bias.
classical liberal
RightWingNut

Political Matrix
E: 9.35, S: -8.26

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2004, 11:31:48 PM »

No, I would not.  The purpose of the electoral college is to preserve the republica though favoring non-regional candidates, rural voters, and smaller states.  Its purpose is quite literally to produce a more right-wing result (little secret, the Founding Fathers would make the current GOP look like pinkos).  So, if it wasn't working properly, I'd say it should be reformed to increase the bias.

The founding fathers were pretty much in line with today's Constitution Party.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2004, 07:49:52 AM »

I think we should switch to the PV.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2004, 12:52:47 PM »

A PV alone would destroy the whole basis of voting in this country. Unless a candidate came from a large state or major urban area your candidate would have a very little chance of election.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2004, 11:57:46 AM »

I already support ditching the EC, so it wouldn't change my mind.  Even if that did happen, I wouldn't think too much of it because the PV isn't really representative peoples desires, since in 2/3 of the states, the elction is a foregone conclusion, so no one shows up.
Dave from Michigan
9iron768
United States

« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2004, 12:09:26 PM »

lets keep the electoral college
NHPolitico

« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2004, 12:40:41 PM »

if Kerry loses the popular vote but wins the electoral, would you still support the electoral college?

Yes. The only thing that is remotely accurate is the EV.  There are errors in counting cast ballots and absentee ballots aren't counted at all if they don't affect the outcome of the state's EVs.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2004, 12:43:11 PM »

Yes, even if only for nostalgia.  It's the last bastion of federalism in a dying republic.
ShapeShifter

« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2004, 01:00:10 PM »

No Big deal?

what? Clinton - his name isn't Bubba and I surely never call Bush Dumbya - won the PV and EV ? I don't understand how the EC helped Clinton.
Dave from Michigan
9iron768
United States

« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2004, 01:03:42 PM »

He only won a pularity of the popular vote 43% but a majority of the electoral vote. So with out the electoral vote he would still have won but with only 43% which is not much of a  mandate to govern
ShapeShifter

« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2004, 01:04:19 PM »

Just do away with the EC. Most of the time whoever wins the PV - wins the EV.
Dave from Michigan
9iron768
United States

« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2004, 01:04:50 PM »

Of course Linclon only won 39.9% of the popular vote
ShapeShifter

« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2004, 01:07:15 PM »

But who got the most votes?
Dave from Michigan
9iron768
United States

« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2004, 01:09:39 PM »

But who got the most votes?

Lincoln, my point was you could argue that Lincoln didn't have much of a mandate to govern but the sure acted like he did
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies