Could you put the full text here? I can't go to NYTimes.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 01:08:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Could you put the full text here? I can't go to NYTimes.
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Could you put the full text here? I can't go to NYTimes.  (Read 199 times)
v0031
China
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 23, 2018, 01:59:05 AM »

China of My Mind - The New York Times - Opinionator
opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/.../china-of-my-mind
Dec 28, 2013 · When I tell people that I have recently published a novel set in China, one of the first questions they ask is whether I’ve been there. My response seems ...
Gallatine
Rookie
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -5.57

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2018, 11:48:38 AM »
« Edited: January 25, 2018, 12:12:21 PM by Torie »

One cannot copy more than 200 words or 20% or an article, whichever is less, under the rules of this site to avoid copyright infringement. Consequently I have deleted all but the first two paragraphs. Torie

Here you go.

[quote]China of My Mind

When I tell people that I have recently published a novel set in China, one of the first questions they ask is whether I’ve been there. My response seems to be a letdown. The expectant look on their faces shifts as they wonder why I chose to write about a place I’ve never visited. Sometimes I sense incredulity. What makes me think I can write about China?

My grandfather, Watts O. Pye, was one of the early missionaries to return to China after the Boxer Rebellion of 1900. In Shanxi Province, he oversaw the building of a hospital, schools, a library and roads that brought famine relief. The Reverend Pye died young, but my father, Lucian W. Pye, remained in Shanxi with my grandmother, living in the mission compound under Japanese occupation. He finally left China for college, returned with the Marines at the end of World War II, and went on to become a renowned Sinologist and the author of over 20 books on Asia, and China in particular.

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies