Should you accept ex-bullies apologies?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 24, 2024, 07:07:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Should you accept ex-bullies apologies?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Should you accept ex-bullies apologies?  (Read 910 times)
(no subject)
Jolly Slugg
Australia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 20, 2018, 03:29:54 PM »

I asked this elsewhere but should you accept it when now adult former school bullies say they are sorry?

the hurt and pain they caused me doesn't just go away. Maybe they're sorry, maybe they regret it now, but it doesn't change what they did. I could easily have been another Phoebe Prince, another Amy "Dolly" Everett, and i don't think the now-adult ex-bullies understand that.

I'm a boy, that's why being sent a still of a "mother" and "daughter" from a bra catalog with the caption "you and Mum" hurt so much.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2018, 03:36:43 PM »

Yes, and get over it.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2018, 03:39:52 PM »

I asked this elsewhere but should you accept it when now adult former school bullies say they are sorry?

the hurt and pain they caused me doesn't just go away. Maybe they're sorry, maybe they regret it now, but it doesn't change what they did. I could easily have been another Phoebe Prince, another Amy "Dolly" Everett, and i don't think the now-adult ex-bullies understand that.

I'm a boy, that's why being sent a still of a "mother" and "daughter" from a bra catalog with the caption "you and Mum" hurt so much.

Yeah, you should. Unless they prove themselves to be otherwise.

The hurt won't be forgotten, but that doesn't mean you have to carry every last wrong they did to you every time you see them.

Life's just too short and grudges no matter how justifiable are simply too heavy.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2018, 03:51:58 PM »

Forgiving is not the same as forgetting.
Coolface Sock #42069
whitesox130
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: 2.26

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2018, 09:38:33 PM »

Look, you have to. If you don't, you are only hurting yourself. There is no joy in withheld forgiveness.

Do your best to let it go and enjoy the life ahead of you. Be happy this person apologized; many bullies do not.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2018, 09:43:40 PM »

If the apology is genuine, of course.
Grassroots
Grassr00ts
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 2.09

P P P
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2018, 09:59:46 PM »

When I was in school, someone could punch you in the face and you would be playing Playstation 2 with each other four days later.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Slovakia

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: 0.35

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2018, 10:34:23 PM »

What is the alternative?  Retaliation?  A time machine?
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2018, 11:13:34 PM »

Forgiving is not the same as forgetting.
Indeed.  Forgiving is also for you.  You're hurting yourself when you constantly remind yourself how much it hurt and how angry you are at that person.

Forgive them anyway.. but especially if they see fit to apologize.  It means they also came a long way from their own inexcusable behavior.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2018, 09:15:49 AM »

Snowguy said it correctly. Forgiveness is one of the greatest acts you can do for yourself.
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2018, 09:56:41 AM »

If the apology is genuine, of course.
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2018, 12:25:13 PM »

No, they can burn in hell.

If I accept their apology, that makes them think that what they did was okay, and they may do it to someone else.

So no, I hope they can't afford medical care and die homeless.
Biden Stans Are Cringelords
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2018, 12:41:46 PM »
« Edited: January 21, 2018, 12:45:23 PM by Chairface Chippendale »

It's entirely up the person who was bullied whether to accept the apology or not, there is no right or wrong answer.

However, I would say you probably shouldn't. If the bully truly wants forgiveness, that means they feel guilty and want to feel like they have righted the wrongs they did to you, to get it off their conscious. You don't owe them forgiveness they don't deserve, and if they were nothing but a bully to you, what have they done to deserve said forgiveness? Let them live with it. The more it weighs heavy on their conscious, the less likely they are to do it to others. If bullying is in their nature, you've probably done others a favor.
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2018, 01:26:45 PM »

Only if you can believe that the former bully really is sorry.
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2018, 01:29:50 PM »

i don't understand why people want me to forgive them. when i was a child i learned that these bullies needed to be taught a lesson, which is why when anyone bullied me i would kick their ass. i once gave some guy in my class a concussion because he was mocking me.

the thing about these people is that they won't respect you if you don't make them fear you. and they'll do it to other people as well.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2018, 01:33:31 PM »

i don't understand why people want me to forgive them. when i was a child i learned that these bullies needed to be taught a lesson, which is why when anyone bullied me i would kick their ass. i once gave some guy in my class a concussion because he was mocking me.

the thing about these people is that they won't respect you if you don't make them fear you. and they'll do it to other people as well.
Methinks that you’re a bully.  In denial.
bagelman
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2018, 02:25:01 PM »

This is a situation that purely depends on the circumstances. If a jerk who called be a dork and 4 eyes or whatever back in school encounters me at a social gathering, and while being a good person apologizes to me after remembering who I am - sure! Not the same if I get a "Hey, sorry for being rude to you" from a guy who ruthlessly tried to hurt me or something.

I don't understand how psychology works and I've never been the victim of bullying.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2018, 04:52:55 PM »

This is a situation that purely depends on the circumstances. If a jerk who called be a dork and 4 eyes or whatever back in school encounters me at a social gathering, and while being a good person apologizes to me after remembering who I am - sure! Not the same if I get a "Hey, sorry for being rude to you" from a guy who ruthlessly tried to hurt me or something.

I don't understand how psychology works and I've never been the victim of bullying.

Get over it.
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2018, 02:51:53 AM »

Get over it.

why do you sound like an angsty 15 year old?
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2018, 02:56:47 AM »

Methinks that you’re a bully.  In denial.

no, i was bullied so i retaliated and made them fear me and nobody messed with me anymore
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2018, 06:45:45 AM »

no, i was bullied so i retaliated and made them fear me and nobody messed with me anymore

This is like the origin story of a super villain.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2018, 06:50:33 AM »

I never forgive anything
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2018, 07:30:23 AM »

This is like the origin story of a super villain.

Sad
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2018, 09:48:37 AM »

You shouldn't have a blanket "policy" for ex-bullies and should judge each encounter/bully/apology individually.
thumb21
YaBB God
Cyprus

Political Matrix
E: -4.42, S: 1.82

« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2018, 03:01:37 PM »

Depends but generally yes.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length