It is a sad commentary..........
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 05:36:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  It is a sad commentary..........
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: It is a sad commentary..........  (Read 1959 times)
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 19, 2018, 07:26:52 PM »

.........on the state of this republic when only one candidate is running for a Senate seat from Lincoln.
GM Team Member and Senator WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2018, 07:27:51 PM »

quite
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2018, 07:30:53 PM »

Not really disagreeing, but it is also a special election that whoever ran only had a few days to prepare for. It would be a bit different if it were a regularly scheduled election.
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2018, 01:04:23 AM »
« Edited: January 20, 2018, 01:08:26 AM by politicalmasta73 »

Not really disagreeing, but it is also a special election that whoever ran only had a few days to prepare for. It would be a bit different if it were a regularly scheduled election.
as Madam President has recognized in her interview with Lumine, it is not healthy for the overall game for there to be such little competition these, even if your party is the beneficiary. I enthusiastically endorse LouisvilleThunder, but I wish there was another candidate on the ballot, and have a candidate to represent a different side of the Atlas political spectrum. I hope we can increase activity in running for Atlassian political office in general, and I have a few ideas up my sleeve that still need some checking over. Thank you, OP for recognizing this problem, as it is the root of a lot of problems in atlasia
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2018, 01:05:48 AM »

Honestly, should't there be a bit longer of a buffer period before special elections like this? I mean, the vacancy opened up what, 2 days ago?
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2018, 02:04:20 AM »

In fairness, at least one legendary statesman appears to have mounted a write in bid.
At-Large Senator LouisvilleThunder
LouisvilleThunder
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: 1.74

P P P
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2018, 09:00:25 AM »

It's not my fault that nobody else declared to run in time to give me some competition.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2018, 11:26:30 AM »

It's not my fault that nobody else declared to run in time to give me some competition.

You are absolutely correct.

In fact, you should be commended for putting your name forward.
thumb21
YaBB God
Cyprus

Political Matrix
E: -4.42, S: 1.82

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2018, 01:16:46 PM »

Honestly, should't there be a bit longer of a buffer period before special elections like this? I mean, the vacancy opened up what, 2 days ago?

Exactly, no chance for a campaign and little opportunity for multiple candidates. Not to mention, how many people are gonna know about an election at such short notice? There should be at-least a week buffer.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2018, 01:23:24 PM »

It's information openly available to the public. Many people saw Young Texan's resignation, and that should have prompted people to check the Constitution for the Lincoln Region.

thumb21
YaBB God
Cyprus

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2018, 01:52:44 PM »

It's information openly available to the public. Many people saw Young Texan's resignation, and that should have prompted people to check the Constitution for the Lincoln Region.

Many people won't be online on that day, and considering how quickly things can get buried, may not be aware.
The more important point is that it is impossible to have a proper competitive campaign over a few days.
wxtransit
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: 2.43

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2018, 01:54:53 PM »

Many people won't be online on that day, and considering how quickly things can get buried, may not be aware.
The more important point is that it is impossible to have a proper competitive campaign over a few days.

Agreed.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2018, 02:08:05 PM »

It's been around for quite some time and is how the process works for numerous positions in every region. Very few, if any, have made this into a big issue before since it's common knowledge. There have been plenty of competitive special election campaigns that have taken place over similar time frames.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2018, 02:38:41 PM »

Honestly we might want to amend it to something like this...

You must be logged in to read this quote.

And also, maybe immediately create a thread just noting that there is an imminent special election.

thumb21
YaBB God
Cyprus

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2018, 06:43:23 PM »
« Edited: January 20, 2018, 06:46:07 PM by Deputy Game Moderator Thumb21 »

It's been around for quite some time and is how the process works for numerous positions in every region. Very few, if any, have made this into a big issue before since it's common knowledge. There have been plenty of competitive special election campaigns that have taken place over similar time frames.
I don't think a campaign where there's barely even enough time to write a platform is meaningfully competitive.

As for whether or not this schedule is common knowledge is questionable. Among people who come here a lot or have been here a long time, it is common knowledge. But, many people are new or too busy to dig into the constitutional details. And there's the issue I mentioned where people who aren't online at the time of the vacancy being created may be unaware of the election.

Even if I were to concede your points, extending the buffer would still be a good idea because it allows more time for the candidates to be scrutinized.
DFL

« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2018, 07:39:22 PM »

I don't think a campaign where there's barely even enough time to write a platform is meaningfully competitive.

As for whether or not this schedule is common knowledge is questionable. Among people who come here a lot or have been here a long time, it is common knowledge. But, many people are new or too busy to dig into the constitutional details. And there's the issue I mentioned where people who aren't online at the time of the vacancy being created may be unaware of the election.

Even if I were to concede your points, extending the buffer would still be a good idea because it allows more time for the candidates to be scrutinized.

As someone who joined Atlasia in November and has spent a decent amount of time getting familiar with the constitution, I had no clue the turnaround for special elections was this fast. I’d wholeheartedly agree that it is not good democracy to have so little time and notice for candidates to be aware of the race and campaign meaningfully. I hope this is changed for future special elections.
Pragmatic Conservative
1184AZ
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 3.00, S: -0.41

« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2018, 07:43:30 PM »

As a Representative and Lincoln citizen I certainly agree with Winfield and others concerns about the turnaround involving special elections. I can say that it would absolutely be beneficial for our game and region to have a longer window between when a vacancy occurs and a special election occurs. 
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2018, 07:49:26 PM »

Is there anyone in the Lincoln Assembly who would be willing to sponsor the amendment I outlined above so that we can get it on the ballot for the February elections?
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2018, 07:52:33 PM »

Is there anyone in the Lincoln Assembly who would be willing to sponsor the amendment I outlined above so that we can get it on the ballot for the February elections?

you may have more luck PMing them directly so they see it.
(OneJ. politicalmasta73, Jimmy7812).
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2018, 07:53:33 PM »

I would be.
Esteemed Jimmy
Jimmy7812
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: 2.47, S: -1.05

« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2018, 07:56:22 PM »

I would be.
At-Large Senator LouisvilleThunder
LouisvilleThunder
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: 1.74

P P P
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2018, 08:26:31 PM »

As a Representative and Lincoln citizen I certainly agree with Winfield and others concerns about the turnaround involving special elections. I can say that it would absolutely be beneficial for our game and region to have a longer window between when a vacancy occurs and a special election occurs. 
I agree as well, and I'll sponsor the amendment at the federal level too.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies