Non-White groups that normally vote for right wing parties
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 02:10:06 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Non-White groups that normally vote for right wing parties
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Non-White groups that normally vote for right wing parties  (Read 2598 times)
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 19, 2018, 07:00:11 PM »

In Canada, US, Europe, Australia, and New Zealand, list any non-white groups that normally vote for parties on the political right.

Here are some of mine:

US - GOP:

-Cubans/Colombians amongst Hispanics
- Vietnamese (I believe Trump is the first GOP leader to lose the Vietnamese vote)
- Filipinos - (I believe Obama in 2008 was the first time this group favoured Democrats over Republicans)
I've heard Cherokee in Oklahoma and Hawaiians tend to favour the GOP but could be wrong.
-  While technically considered white by US census, Arabs usually voted GOP up until 2004 but have gone Democrat since
-  Asians as a whole went mostly GOP in the 80s, and 90s but not since 2000
If anything it appears the GOP has lost ground amongst non-whites and only stayed competitive but winning by even bigger margins amongst whites.

Canada - Conservatives or centre-right provincial parties

-  Chinese (went mostly Liberal until 2011 but now Conservative although in BC and Alberta have been voting for centre-right parties for years but still go Liberal in Ontario though but that could change this year perhaps).
-  Hindus - Amongst East Indians Sikhs and Muslims always go NDP or Liberal, but I think in 2011 although not 2015 the Hindus swung behind the Tories.
-  Other East Asians (I believe Filipinos and Vietnamese have generally gone PC in Alberta, Liberal in Ontario, NDP in Manitoba, while centre-right BC Liberals in BC and federally Liberal but might have gone Tory in 2011).
-  Japanese - Since most were born in Canada they tend to be more bellwethers otherwise same breakdown as amongst whites and whichever party wins is usually who wins that group.

UK - Conservatives

-  Chinese - Small group but believe they tend to vote Conservative
-  Hindus - While Labour won the East Indians overall, I believe in 2015 the Tories won the Hindu vote but Muslims and Sikhs went heavily Labour

France - UMP/Republic for Rally/Les Republicains

- Vietnamese
- Pacific Islanders in New Caledonia, Wallis and Futuna, and French Polynesia

Germany - CDU/CSU; AfD; or FDP

-  While not eligible to vote yet, I would bet the Syrians will probably go mostly CDU/CSU since it was Merkel who let them in.

New Zealand - National Party

-  Asians (excluding East Indians)

Australia - Liberal/National Party

- I could be wrong, but I think the Chinese favour the Liberal/Nationals although I believe its generational with those born in China voting differently than those born in Australia but forget which one goes Liberal/National Party and which goes Labor Party.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2018, 07:07:37 PM »

If I'm not wrong Trump won the non-white vote in rural northern Texas and the Oklahoma Panhandle.
ملكة كرينجيتوك
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2018, 08:19:09 PM »

In Canada, US, Europe, Australia, and New Zealand, list any non-white groups that normally vote for parties on the political right.

Here are some of mine:

US - GOP:

-Cubans/Colombians amongst Hispanics
- Vietnamese (I believe Trump is the first GOP leader to lose the Vietnamese vote)
- Filipinos - (I believe Obama in 2008 was the first time this group favoured Democrats over Republicans)
I've heard Cherokee in Oklahoma and Hawaiians tend to favour the GOP but could be wrong.
-  While technically considered white by US census, Arabs usually voted GOP up until 2004 but have gone Democrat since
-  Asians as a whole went mostly GOP in the 80s, and 90s but not since 2000
If anything it appears the GOP has lost ground amongst non-whites and only stayed competitive but winning by even bigger margins amongst whites.

Australia - Liberal/National Party

- I could be wrong, but I think the Chinese favour the Liberal/Nationals although I believe its generational with those born in China voting differently than those born in Australia but forget which one goes Liberal/National Party and which goes Labor Party.

Chinese, Vietnamese, and Filipino Millennials/post-Millennials tend to be socially liberal and definitely lean Democratic; it’s our parents who are more supportive of the GOP. Indian Americans however seem to be uniformly Democratic (not sure if this is correlated with religious affiliation like in the UK).

Not familiar with the nuances of Australian party politics  but I suspect the pattern is similar to US 2016 presidential election results- immigrants are more supportive of Trump/Coalition, native-borns are more supportive of Clinton/Labor.
Jeppe
Bosse
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -4.00

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2018, 08:36:32 PM »

http://vancouversun.com/news/local-news/b-c-election-2017-religion-and-ethnicity-strongly-shape-election-choices-b-c-poll-finds

In last year's provincial election in BC, Liberals lead among Chinese, Korean, and South Asian voters, while losing Filipino voters (despite being behind the NDP by several points in the poll). Although if you break it down by religion, the NDP were winning Muslims and almost tied among Sikhs.
Hydera

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2018, 09:22:47 PM »

Oklahoma - Mixed race(white/native) and Native Oklahomans vote very right wing, but even then obviously their percentage is just 3-6% less GOP than very very right-wing White Oklahomans. Even before Hillary. They were pretty republican leaning in just a decade due to social conservatism.

https://uselectionatlas.org/RESULTS/state.php?fips=40&year=2010&f=0&off=68&elect=0

https://uselectionatlas.org/RESULTS/state.php?fips=40&year=2004&f=0&off=60&elect=0

Israel - This is tricky but Ashkenazi jews who left Europe vote for Center-left parties while Mizrahi vote for Conservative parties. Mizrahi's are very working class compared to Ashkenazi who left Europe after the Holocaust with a better education. Which makes them nationalistic. Plus while the Likud is a neoliberal nationalistic and socially right-wing party they do tend to maintain support for welfare in order to get Mizrahi voters to stay with them.

Texas - Hispanics in Texas are pretty right-wing compared to other states. Had they voted for the Democrats then Texas would be far closer. One thing is that because Texas residential patterns are suburban and suburban hispanic voters are more GOP leaning compared to Hispanics who live in areas that are mixed or urban/dense. A higher percentage will side with republicans because of economic conservatism as well as those who are social conservatives. Also consider that hispanic turnout is lower in that state and im sure im democrats started massed registering hispanics who don't turnout they could decrease that higher than usual hispanic voting percentage down even more.
ملكة كرينجيتوك
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2018, 11:26:08 PM »

http://vancouversun.com/news/local-news/b-c-election-2017-religion-and-ethnicity-strongly-shape-election-choices-b-c-poll-finds

In last year's provincial election in BC, Liberals lead among Chinese, Korean, and South Asian voters, while losing Filipino voters (despite being behind the NDP by several points in the poll). Although if you break it down by religion, the NDP were winning Muslims and almost tied among Sikhs.

Interesting how Chinese and Filipinos were more likely to vote Green than Conservative, while South Asians and Koreans were the opposite. Chinese Americans seem more supportive of Green parties and environmentalism than Korean Americans.

The fact that Chinese and Hindu Indians tend to vote for center/center-right parties in Canada, Australia, and the UK but not in the US attests to how strongly party cleavages in those countries are based on economics as opposed to other factors.
Hydera

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2018, 01:43:54 PM »

Interesting how Chinese and Filipinos were more likely to vote Green than Conservative, while South Asians and Koreans were the opposite. Chinese Americans seem more supportive of Green parties and environmentalism than Korean Americans.

The fact that Chinese and Hindu Indians tend to vote for center/center-right parties in Canada, Australia, and the UK but not in the US attests to how strongly party cleavages in those countries are based on economics as opposed to other factors.

The US has a far weaker social welfare system compared to those countries along with the republicans being far more socially conservative which leads to less chinese support for them compared to other countries.
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2018, 01:48:48 PM »

That poll was taken in the middle of the campaign and I suspect the NDP likely won South Asian/Sikh voters.
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2018, 05:07:46 PM »

I also agree the NDP probably won them too.  Hard to say amongst Filipinos, Vietnamese, and Koreans but I could see those going either way although BC Liberals probably won the Korean vote.  Chinese vote definitely went BC Liberal, but the swing towards the NDP was much stronger amongst them than the general population.  My guess is generational divide, the older ones who immigrated here still go massively BC Liberal, but many of their children born in Canada are voting NDP.  If you look at Richmond, BC Liberals won all four ridings, but by significantly narrower margins than in the past.  Only about 10 points ahead instead of the usual 30 points ahead.

That poll was taken in the middle of the campaign and I suspect the NDP likely won South Asian/Sikh voters.
Young Conservative
youngconservative
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2018, 05:34:52 PM »

Cubans and Vietnamese Americans are the most well known.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2018, 07:45:56 PM »

The Vietnamese vote NDP in Ottawa, or are at least especially loyal to the Dewar family.
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2018, 11:35:40 PM »

The Vietnamese vote NDP in Ottawa, or are at least especially loyal to the Dewar family.

True in Canada the Vietnamese tend to vote more so for progressive parties than they do in the US.  In the US they are quite heavily GOP, although Clinton may have been the first Democrat to carry that group.  In many ways, they are like the Cuban-Americans, strongly anti-communist thus the GOP's past hardline on communism is why many voted GOP.  Although probably a generational gap too as I wouldn't be surprised if most Vietnamese Millennials in the US go Democrat and its probably more the older ones who go GOP.  Now in France, the Vietnamese community tends to be a lot more left leaning and in fact a sizeable number vote for the Communist Party or Left Front. 

In the case of Ottawa though I don't think the Vietnamese community is that big.  Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Toronto, and Montreal are where they are largest.  Vancouver its a mix, Calgary and Edmonton I believe they went mostly PC provincially as Ralph Klein developed good relations with many of the ethnic communities, but not sure where there are now, while in Toronto and Montreal they go mostly Liberal at both levels.
Orser67
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2018, 12:11:55 PM »

In the U.S., a sizable number of Ukrainians usually voted for the GOP, but were skeptical of Trump

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/23/sports/ukrainian-americans-gop-donald-trump.html

Edit: my bad, forgot the OP said non-white
super6646
Canada

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2018, 03:01:45 AM »

In Canada at least, it would depend which city. Calgary for example is about 60% white, and the conservatives typically get about 60-65% of the vote in federal and provincial elections. Considering how quickly the city has developed demographically (just 15 years ago that number was closer to 75-80%), yet the vote for the conservatives has remained about the same, I would assume at least some non-white groups are breaking for the right here. If I had to guess, probably Chinese, Vietnemese, Fillipinos, and maybe Indians (hindus) are voting Conservative, while middle easterns and east-indian sikhs/muslims breaking Liberal. African-Canadian's would be an interesting dynamic to look at, but I have no clue how they break.

Now of course this would be different in say Toronto and Vancouver. If I had to guess, probably the Chinese and Japanese are the only minorities to break Conservative in these two cities. Though I wouldn't be so sure about Toronto; I'm pretty sure Richmond voted Conservative this cycle (which is majority Chinese if I recall correctly).
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2018, 03:12:55 AM »

There are virtually no non-white voters here.

It really depends if you see Turks or Arabs as "non-white" ...

Most people in Austria with a migrant background who are eligible to vote are from European or other "white" countries.

There may be a few Africans with citizenship who are able to vote (such as footballer David Alaba).

Turks mostly vote for SPÖ+Greens, whereas Kurds are more mixed with some voting SPÖ+Greens, but some also for the ÖVP.

Former Yugoslavs are mostly SPÖ and FPÖ-voting.

Eastern European immigrants with voting rights are probably not voting differently than Austrians as a whole. Western European immigrants are probably less likely to vote for the FPÖ and more likely to back ÖVP, SPÖ, NEOS and Green parties.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2018, 09:17:10 AM »

For all what's worth Melilla is a muslim majority town in Spain (53% muslim) and it had the 2nd best result for PP (49.9%), only behind its cousin Ceuta (which is 40% muslim iirc).

However I don't think the muslims in Ceuta are voting for PP in large numbers. They probably still lean left (the Podemos/IU branch there, Caballas, explicitly considers itself a party for representing muslims), and Melilla is probably deep PP because of 1 of 3 reasons (or both):

1: Melilla's muslims lean less towards the left than white Spaniards lean towards the right.

2: Many of Melilla's muslims are not Spanish citizens and/or they suffer from large rates of abstention, so even though Melilla is a muslim majority city they are underrepresented in politics

3: The town is not very polarized in terms of race. So both muslims and non muslims vote for the same parties at comparable rates.

As for other nationalities I'm not sure. Outside Ceuta there aren't that many places which have large amounts of non white people.

The municipality with the largest amount of foreign residents is Rojales (Alicante), which is 70% foreigners. However most of those are Brits (ie white). Still, brits can vote in town hall elections (though they probably have very high rates of abstention).

Looking at town hall elections there it seems to be a strongly PSOE municipality in local elections while it voted for by a large margin for PP in the national election. However old British expats are probably not exactly the best demographic for the left so I guess they have a popular mayor or something.

As for non white inmigrants, apparently Salt (Girona) has large amounts of Moroccans (40% foreigners in general, I guess almost all non white). Some things about it:

-In the 2010/2012 regional elections it was a good municipality for the far right PxC, which got 3-5% of the vote there.

-In the 2016 national elections it was a very good municipality for the left. ERC, Podemos and PSC were the 3 most voted parties

- Surprisingly once independence became important it moved a lot to the right, with JxCat and Cs becoming the strongest.
super6646
Canada

« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2018, 03:14:41 AM »

Most people in Austria with a migrant background who are eligible to vote are from European or other "white" countries.

There may be a few Africans with citizenship who are able to vote (such as footballer David Alaba).

Turks mostly vote for SPÖ+Greens, whereas Kurds are more mixed with some voting SPÖ+Greens, but some also for the ÖVP.

Eastern European immigrants with voting rights are probably not voting differently than Austrians as a whole. Western European immigrants are probably less likely to vote for the FPÖ and more likely to back ÖVP, SPÖ, NEOS and Green parties.

Well I'm half middle eastern, so does that count? Smiley
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2018, 02:21:58 PM »

I think if you are part-white Canadian and part-middle eastern, you probably classify as white.

But in general, middle-eastern immigrants in Europe are something like Latinos in the US ...
super6646
Canada

« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2018, 03:25:48 PM »

I think if you are part-white Canadian and part-middle eastern, you probably classify as white.

But in general, middle-eastern immigrants in Europe are something like Latinos in the US ...

My mother is from Hungary, so yes I am half "white". The argument is silly overall, as Caucasians originate everywhere from East Africa to the fringes of South Asia. Of course, most people are dumbfounded when they hear of this, but all it takes is a simple wiki search to be opened up a little bit.
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2018, 05:10:23 PM »

Cubans are more accepted as white in the US than Arabs and Middle Easterners are, regardless of what the Census Bureau says. 
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2018, 05:29:45 PM »

For various historical reasons, Middle Eastern diaspora populations tend to be a Model Minority in the Americas and a mediocre underclass in Europe.

Ex. The neoliberal corporate-backed Brazilian president Michel Temer is of Lebanese ancestry. Argentina, Bolivia, Honduras, and Costa Rica have also had presidents or presidential candidates who were of Arab ancestry.

You would never see a Syrian, Palestinian or Turk living in Europe affiliating with one of the parties of the right, by comparison.
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2018, 06:42:27 PM »
« Edited: February 03, 2018, 06:44:32 PM by Tintrlvr »

For various historical reasons, Middle Eastern diaspora populations tend to be a Model Minority in the Americas and a mediocre underclass in Europe.

Ex. The neoliberal corporate-backed Brazilian president Michel Temer is of Lebanese ancestry. Argentina, Bolivia, Honduras, and Costa Rica have also had presidents or presidential candidates who were of Arab ancestry.

You would never see a Syrian, Palestinian or Turk living in Europe affiliating with one of the parties of the right, by comparison.

You might if they were Christian, as many of the prominent right-wing Arab or other Middle Eastern politicians of the Americas (including Temer) are. Of course, relatively few Arab Christians emigrated to Europe as compared to the Americas, to my understanding mainly because European immigration laws were (and, to some degree, still are) much more restrictive, so relatively well-off immigrants mostly avoided Europe.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2018, 05:27:27 PM »

You might if they were Christian, as many of the prominent right-wing Arab or other Middle Eastern politicians of the Americas (including Temer) are. Of course, relatively few Arab Christians emigrated to Europe as compared to the Americas, to my understanding mainly because European immigration laws were (and, to some degree, still are) much more restrictive, so relatively well-off immigrants mostly avoided Europe.

With the exception of some limited guest worker programs, Western Europe didn't come to be regarded as a feasible immigrant destination for people in the Third World until after the Cold War, and by that time, most Christians who wanted to leave the Middle East had already done so as much as a century before.

Christians in the Ottoman Empire were more likely to emigrate than Muslims for a number of reasons.

(1) Some sultans were worse than others from a religious tolerance perspective.

(2) Christians were not obliged to bequeath inheritances in equal shares among children the way Muslims are required to under sharia. For a lot of wealthy Arab Christian families, the oldest son would inherit the bulk of the family wealth/business, and the younger ones would be given a sum of money to establish their own businesses (and they would often move to the Americas to do this).

(3) A lot of Arab Christian immigrants to the US were sponsored by American churches. A congregation would "adopt" a family and help them get settled, learn English and connected to job and education opportunities. Muslims coming to America wouldn't have this kind of support, so fewer of them came.
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.38, S: -6.78

« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2018, 06:47:40 PM »

French Jews are largely of Mizrahi/North African descent and are pretty solidly right wing.

And I don't think it's really true to say that Non-Whit immigration to Europe was limited to certain guest worker programmes during the Cold War - France had pretty extensive immigration from North Africa (the more recent immigration has been more from Sub-Saharan Africa, or is family reunification bases on immigrants who are already there). Likewise, there was pretty large scale immigration to the UK fromw the West Indies, the subcontinent and from Indian populations in Africa.

It is really the non-colonial nations like Sweden that have seen a bigger upswing in non-European immigration in recent decades
mvd10
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: -2.61

« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2018, 01:03:09 PM »

I wonder how Iranians in the Netherlands vote. They're relatively secular compared to other immigrants from Muslim countries and a lot of them are Christian anyway. Meanwhile they're also affluent and educated. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of them voted for the VVD. But as far as I know the large majority of non-white groups in the Netherlands vote for left-wing parties en masse.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies