A negative income tax?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 08:01:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Economics (Moderator: Torie)
  A negative income tax?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: A negative income tax?  (Read 1182 times)
x-Guy
Rookie

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 19, 2018, 05:33:48 PM »

I simply want to know what is everyone's opinion in regards to a negative income tax. This was something that was supported by Milton Friedman and I wanted to ask if this is something that may actually work or not? Please feel free to share your thoughts on the issue.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2018, 06:07:47 PM »

I suggest we: guarantee up to $9,500 for everyone making under $10,000(I. E. $500 or less gets $9,500; $1000 or less gets $9,000, etc.); guarantee another up to $8,000 for everyone making under $20,000(I. E. $10-12,000 gets $8,000; $13,000 gets $7,000, etc.); and maybe instead of making it directly money, it would be best to do food, clothes, and rent vouchers, with recommended meal plans/diets.
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2018, 06:36:00 PM »

I think as long as it is set at the right amount which will not doubt be the bone of contention I think it is a great idea.  Unlike a guaranteed annual income, you aren't penalized for working as you still make more for working and it would save taxpayers a lot of money.  Many social programs aimed to help the poor could be eliminated as they would have sufficient money to pay for it so that would help reduce poverty at a lower cost as you would be able to eliminate all the bureaucracies involved.
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2018, 07:54:33 PM »

Freedom Idea.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2018, 08:16:01 PM »

The Earned Income Tax Credit is a negative income tax and is reasonably well tuned to avoid people intentionally earning less just to get the credit.
Sadader
Botswana

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2018, 05:53:01 AM »

The Earned Income Tax Credit is a negative income tax and is reasonably well tuned to avoid people intentionally earning less just to get the credit.

Yep, the EITC as known in American discourse is very good, but functionally its the same as an NIT.
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2018, 10:24:46 PM »

Definitely this. I am really sad there is been literally NO discussion of the Brown-Khanna GAIN Act. Literally the same cost as the GOP Tax Bill, yet does SO MUCH MORE for the American People.
Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 9.53, S: 10.54

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2018, 08:53:01 AM »

Definitely this. I am really sad there is been literally NO discussion of the Brown-Khanna GAIN Act. Literally the same cost as the GOP Tax Bill, yet does SO MUCH MORE for the American People.

Exactly.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2018, 08:56:30 AM »

Exactly.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies