2018 Congressional Generic Ballot and House Polls Megathread - the original
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 07:11:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  2018 Congressional Generic Ballot and House Polls Megathread - the original
« previous next »
Thread note

Pages: 1 ... 41 42 43 44 45 [46] 47 48 49 50 51 ... 96
Author Topic: 2018 Congressional Generic Ballot and House Polls Megathread - the original  (Read 207978 times)
Pollster
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1125 on: April 27, 2018, 12:12:30 PM »

Ann Wagner in trouble.

Both Wagner and Hawely to lose in November?!

Damn....Claire  is playing 4D chess here

And the ambitious governor on the verge of a career implosion.

She's knocking out all of her biggest threats in one year.
GlobeSoc
The walrus

« Reply #1126 on: April 27, 2018, 12:18:24 PM »

Probably people who want Democrats to be able to block legislation but not judges.

That seems overly generous to the political awareness of the average voter.

To be fair you'd only need 1% of the population to have that thinking and everyone else to have consistent answers to get that result
America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
« Reply #1127 on: April 27, 2018, 02:19:08 PM »

Ann Wagner is probably going to win in 2018. I just do not see the wave getting big enough to defeat her. She might be more vulnerable in 2020, however.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #1128 on: April 27, 2018, 02:35:49 PM »

Ann’s vulnerability doesn’t surprise me at all. The GOP is tanking in suburban support.
Darthpi – Anti-Florida Activist
darthpi
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.87

P P P
« Reply #1129 on: April 27, 2018, 02:37:25 PM »

Ann Wagner is probably going to win in 2018. I just do not see the wave getting big enough to defeat her. She might be more vulnerable in 2020, however.

If this were an open seat I could see this flipping, but not with an incumbent who won by more than 20 points.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1130 on: April 27, 2018, 04:10:55 PM »

My theory is that because both parties are so incredibly unpopular, people don't really want to pick either of them in a generic question. Many people dislike both.

However, because democrats don't have to defend unpopular Trump, tax reform, and health care, and are able to define themselves with policies not being pursued currently, they are better able to differentiate themselves from generic D, whereas most republicans are unable to get away from the generic R label.

Good analysis. I'll also add two things this article misses. First, I'm not sure how much it accounts for voter self-identification versus actual voter registration. Weather of voter identifies with one of the two parties for an independent is often quite different from their actual voter registration. Such identification tends to ebb and flow with the popularity, or lack thereof, of the various two parties. With that in mind one can expect the number of self-identified Democrats and Republicans appearing at the polls to rise and drop accordingly.

Secondly, the selection postulates approximately 44% of independent voters voting Republican in November. Feel free to correct me, but I believe that is dramatically better than anything the Republicans have been able to manage in just about every special election in the last year, often by double digits. For example, in A-Z 8 the numbers I saw said the Republican pick up only anywhere from 1/3 1/4 of independent voters. I don't recall them doing significantly better in any of the special elections thus far with the possible exception of ga6 and Montana.

This article indicates that even 44% showing among Independents would not be good for republicans, and at this point even breaking 40% appears to be a challenge
District101
Rookie
United States

« Reply #1131 on: April 27, 2018, 05:05:44 PM »

Wagner's also got a huge CoH advantage on her opponents. Although Cort VanOstran is raising credible money, he only has a few hundred thousand on hand, while Wagner has $3.3 million. Democrats' best hope of winning here would be an open seat in a Democratic wave.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1132 on: April 27, 2018, 08:56:11 PM »

My theory is that because both parties are so incredibly unpopular, people don't really want to pick either of them in a generic question. Many people dislike both.

However, because democrats don't have to defend unpopular Trump, tax reform, and health care, and are able to define themselves with policies not being pursued currently, they are better able to differentiate themselves from generic D, whereas most republicans are unable to get away from the generic R label.

That is a really good point actually - I never considered that before. The Democratic Party was considerably more popular back in 2006-2008, when they were regularly scoring double digit polls (source).
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #1133 on: April 27, 2018, 10:04:51 PM »

^^^^

People are forgetting; this is literally half the reason that midterm gravity happens.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #1134 on: April 28, 2018, 12:19:11 AM »

That Cook article makes perfect sense. Independents always claim they have no idea who they are voting for, that drives down both sides's numbers in polls.

What determine's their vote in a midterm is their opinion on the man or woman who is sitting in the Oval Office, and the author made it pretty clear that Independents despise Trump. We have been seeing with the special election results that they have been breaking heavily in favor of the Democrats. Both Lamb and Tipirneni won the independent vote by immense margins that were above 60%.

I guarantee you that if pollsters began to push independents and undecideds to tell which way they were leaning, the Democrat margin would be much higher than it is.
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1135 on: April 28, 2018, 01:30:21 PM »

Ipsos/Reuters, April 22-26, 1891 RV

D 44 (+4)
R 33 (-2)
D+11 (+6)

The previous D+5 may have been an outlier, as the last before that were D+9 and D+10.
Obama-Biden Democrat
Zyzz
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1136 on: April 28, 2018, 02:51:42 PM »

D 44 (+4)
R 33 (-2)
D+11 (+6)

The previous D+5 may have been an outlier, as the last before that were D+9 and D+10.

Any comments on the blue surge Limo Liberal or Hofoid?
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #1137 on: April 28, 2018, 02:57:56 PM »

D 44 (+4)
R 33 (-2)
D+11 (+6)

Maybe hofoid is Dean Chambers and will unskew this poll.
Too bad we lost the other guy with the personal model which showed Roy Moore winning in a landslide.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #1138 on: April 28, 2018, 03:00:54 PM »

Democrats are back up to an 8.2 lead at 538.
adrac
adracman42

Political Matrix
E: -9.99, S: -9.99

« Reply #1139 on: April 28, 2018, 03:14:47 PM »

It's almost like opinion polling is noisy.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #1140 on: April 29, 2018, 12:57:54 AM »

It's almost like opinion polling is noisy.

Yet the usual suspects will do what they do when it inevitably drops again, lol.
Wisconsin SC Race 2019
hofoid

« Reply #1141 on: April 29, 2018, 09:37:44 PM »

D 44 (+4)
R 33 (-2)
D+11 (+6)

Wait for the Korea GOP/Trump bounce.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #1142 on: April 30, 2018, 12:19:55 AM »

D 44 (+4)
R 33 (-2)
D+11 (+6)

Wait for the Korea GOP/Trump bounce.

Korea is not going to change anyone's vote.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1143 on: April 30, 2018, 08:57:16 AM »

MO: Republicans +3

Source
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #1144 on: April 30, 2018, 08:58:08 AM »

Looks like Wagner is vulnerable after all...

What would pocess Hawley to release this poll to "quell" GOP fears? He's leading McCaskill by only a point, Greitens is 20 points underwater, and it shows that the GOP is weak in the state. Idiot.
Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 9.53, S: 10.54

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1145 on: April 30, 2018, 09:35:05 AM »

GOP + 3 in Missouri is a disaster lol. I don't even believe that Wagner is vulnerable.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #1146 on: April 30, 2018, 01:54:27 PM »

GOP + 3 in Missouri is a disaster lol. I don't even believe that Wagner is vulnerable.
Yep, it's a disaster for the Dems. Considering that they've banked on winning suburban seats like Wagner's...this will be a rough November. I can see the GOP gaining 10 seats at this rate. Just wait for the N. Korea bounce.

Yep, now I know why King Lear has been inactive.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1147 on: April 30, 2018, 02:07:42 PM »

Yep, it's a disaster for the Dems. Considering that they've banked on winning suburban seats like Wagner's...this will be a rough November. I can see the GOP gaining 10 seats at this rate. Just wait for the N. Korea bounce.

Yep, now I know why King Lear has been inactive.
Blackacre
Spenstar3D
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.35, S: -7.22

« Reply #1148 on: April 30, 2018, 02:41:03 PM »

Let's crunch some numbers, shall we?

This GCB is for the entire state of Missouri, that is mostly hyper-republican rural areas. The GOP won the House vote in MO's 8 districts by 20.34 percentage points in 2016. So first of all, R+3 is more than a 17 point overperformance by Ds. (consistent with AZ-8) Such an overperformance (or anything CLOSE to it) in other states like, say, Michigan, where the GOP won the House vote by 1.06 percentage points, would lead to a floodgate of D pickups.

Now, you cite Wagner as interpreting this GCB as good news. Wagner won her last election by 20.87 points. Such an overperformance, if universally distributed among all 8 CDs in Missouri, would have her winning by 3.53 points. Which means she's vulnerable, if a slight favorite. Of course, that's assuming that the overperformance is distributed evenly, when the data tells us that the overperformance is more pronounced in GOP-held districts and less so in Democratic-held districts, which means it would be greater in Wagner's district, which means she's even more vulnerable.

This is a disaster for the Republican Party.

Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #1149 on: April 30, 2018, 03:59:33 PM »

Mods please ban.
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 43 44 45 [46] 47 48 49 50 51 ... 96  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies