Best and worst state parties?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 02:24:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Best and worst state parties?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Best and worst state parties?  (Read 3281 times)
LimoLiberal
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.71, S: -4.00

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 18, 2018, 05:14:42 PM »

What are some of the best and worst state parties in 2017 and 2018 considering the partisan lean of their state?

For example, the Florida democrats are pretty horrible with big minorities in the state house, only one democratic major state-wide politician in the 2000s, and an incredibly weak fundraising apparatus.

Virginia democrats have had Democratic governors for all but 4 years of the 2000s, two democratic senators since 2008, and they've always kept the state senate close although they only fought their way back to near-parity in the house of delegates this year.

Other good democratic parties, some more recent than others; Oklahoma Ds, Washington Rs, Wisconsin Rs, Michigan Rs, Montana Ds.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2018, 05:58:30 PM »

Florida Democrats are too divided between too many interests groups to be effective.   There's Jews, Blacks, Puerto Rican Hispanics, other Hispanics, white liberals....and all the groups each form a big part of the statewide vote, without any one "dominant" faction.   
Bismarck
Chancellor

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2018, 07:29:12 PM »

Nevada Dems and Ohio GOP are both pretty strong.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2018, 08:01:53 PM »

Personally, I can't stand most of the state parties themselves. They are too, well, partisan.

But parties that don't even run candidates in most state legislative elections are always in bad shape.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2018, 08:23:55 PM »

Illinois Democrats are horrid. So are Michigan Democrats.

Massachusetts Republicans are pretty solid.

Kamala
Madagascar

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2018, 08:32:18 PM »

Alaska Ds have become utterly fantastic recently.

Young Conservative
youngconservative
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2018, 09:22:03 PM »

The least competent party is easily the California Republican Party.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2018, 10:21:14 PM »

North Carolina Republicans are about two steps away from South Africa's old National Party with their views on who should and should not vote.
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.84, S: -5.48

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2018, 10:47:33 PM »

They're that one college kid that realized he's not graduating this semester but can't just drop out so he's going to class not caring.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2018, 11:00:02 PM »

They're that one college kid that realized he's not graduating this semester but can't just drop out so he's going to class not caring.

Perfect analogue - the CA Rs are probably the worst R party in the nation for a while now. Now, it's understandable that they are playing from behind, the state is hard dem and high in democratic loyalists. However, being dealt a bad hand hasn't stopped parties like the WA or MA Rs from punching above their weight. Nah, ever since the recall, the party seems to no longer care. They barely tried to influence the redistricting commission (unlike the dems), they get frequently screwed by top two without caring  (increasing voter fatigue), and they are constantly lending an ear to weird schemes to bust up the state. They seem now ever content to become a party that can't even stop a supermajority under a competitive map.
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2018, 11:56:07 AM »

Personally, I can't stand most of the state parties themselves. They are too, well, partisan.

But parties that don't even run candidates in most state legislative elections are always in bad shape.

That's a little like saying "Personally I can't stand most women/men themselves. They are too, well, feminine/masculine."

Anyway, Florida Dems are probably the most incompetent of the big state parties, along with New York Dems (why does the IDC exist).
Skunk
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -9.48

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2018, 12:32:04 PM »

North Carolina Republicans are about two steps away from South Africa's old National Party with their views on who should and should not vote.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2018, 03:27:30 PM »

Best: NH Democrats
Worst: MO Republicans
dw93
DWL
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2018, 10:25:38 PM »

The Illinois Republican Party is easily in the top five. The fact that they couldn't bring Quinn down in 2010 or retake the legislature with Madigan being so toxic says a lot.
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2018, 10:54:51 PM »

Best: NH Democrats, Oregon Democrats

Worst: FL Democrats, Ohio Democrats
Young Conservative
youngconservative
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2018, 11:12:08 PM »

The Illinois Republican Party is easily in the top five. The fact that they couldn't bring Quinn down in 2010 or retake the legislature with Madigan being so toxic says a lot.
That’s less the fault of Illinois republicans and more the praise of chicago democrats imo
Nutmeg
thepolitic
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2018, 05:51:54 PM »

Hawai'i Republicans are pretty bad. Trump managed to crack 30% of the vote, and yet the party can't get a single human elected to the state senate. Trump is a pretty terrible candidate for Hawai'i (few working class whites; generally a culture of respect, whereas he has zero aloha spirit), so I'd expect local GOP candidates to do better, not worse, than he did.
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2018, 10:39:17 PM »

Up until recently the MO Dem Party, which had A LOT of talent Kander, Koster, Webber, Zweifel until one cycle pretty much wiped them out. KY Dems also put up a good fight given where their state has been going only losing the state House recently and Grimes and Beshear are pretty good. MS/LA state parties are not that bad either with JBE and Jim Hood plus the PSC seats they hold in MS.
dw93
DWL
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2018, 01:23:57 AM »

That’s less the fault of Illinois republicans and more the praise of chicago democrats imo

The Chicago machine isn't as strong as it once was and I don't see it getting any stronger.
Skye
yeah_93
YaBB God
Venezuela

« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2018, 07:36:14 AM »

The California GOP isn't that bad, I think. It's just that Trump makes their job impossible.

I find it laughable how incompetent the Florida Dems can be at times.
Jeppe
Bosse
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -4.00

« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2018, 09:27:34 AM »

Alaska Ds have become utterly fantastic recently.

Forrest is a babe.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2018, 10:14:26 AM »

The Florida Democratic Party stands out as hilariously bad.  The Illinois Dems suck and are a joke, but their very high floor saves them a lot of electoral embarrassment that they should face.  The statewide Michigan Democrats have been pretty pathetic lately, too.  I think the Alabama GOP has potential to  things up worse, too.

As for my personal favorites and least favorites, I will go with the IL GOP, VT GOP and MA GOP for the former and the IL Dems, WV Dems and CA Dems.
Former Kentuckian
Cal

« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2018, 10:20:19 AM »

Why is the Florida Democratic Party so sucky? What's the story behind that?
Sherrod Brown Shill
NerdFighter40351
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -6.43

« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2018, 11:48:03 AM »

A "Democrat" was elected Governor of WV in 2016 and Manchin won in a landslide in 2012. I'd say WV Dems are doing okay for an R+19 state. But yes, I am aware that there aren't many other examples other than those and WV Dems get weaker everyday.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2018, 11:56:52 AM »

The California GOP isn't that bad, I think. It's just that Trump makes their job impossible.

No, not really. Last time I checked Trump wasn't president in 2010, 2012 and 2014.

Also, the FL Democratic Party gets a bit too much hate here IMO. Sure, their organization is kinda terrible (especially considering that this is such a pivotal swing state), but had Rubio not changed his mind about not running for reelection, they most likely would have won that Senate race and both seats would now be controlled by the Dems (Nelson/Murphy). They came within 1 point of winning the governorship in two R wave years.

The OH Democratic Party is probably worse than the FL Dems, honestly.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies