New PA Maps In Effect
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 28, 2024, 01:59:02 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  New PA Maps In Effect
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 ... 46
Author Topic: New PA Maps In Effect  (Read 88031 times)
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #450 on: February 13, 2018, 02:25:56 PM »

The map is going to be court drawn now... the GOP really shot themselves in the foot.

They could potentially strike a deal with Wolf to postpone the primaries in order to buy more time to submit more maps, but I think it's more likely Wolf lets the court draw the map.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #451 on: February 13, 2018, 02:30:16 PM »

Does anyone remember the date where the court said they'd have a map one way or the other? Or rather, when the special master's map would be presented?

The map is going to be court drawn now... the GOP really shot themselves in the foot.

They could potentially strike a deal with Wolf to postpone the primaries in order to buy more time to submit more maps, but I think it's more likely Wolf lets the court draw the map.

That would have been more likely (imo) if they had tried to arrange that from the get-go, as opposed to after they send a fresh gerrymander at the last minute to Wolf, which at the very least hints at them having no intention of drawing a fair map.
King Lear
Russian Federation

« Reply #452 on: February 13, 2018, 02:32:35 PM »

Do you think Republicans will now impeach the state Supreme Court?
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #453 on: February 13, 2018, 02:35:15 PM »

Do you think Republicans will now impeach the state Supreme Court?

They may try but I doubt they'll get unanimity among their entire body. If they had the votes to do that they would have had the votes to impeach Wolf and Stack and get a Republican governor.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #454 on: February 13, 2018, 03:35:11 PM »

Reporter from the Philadelphia Inquirer tweeted to me that the PASC has told the executive branch to be ready for a new map by February 19.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #455 on: February 13, 2018, 03:36:40 PM »

Good on Governor Wolf! Though I hope he tries to work with the PA GOP in a bipartisan manner to get this done instead of tossing it to the court.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #456 on: February 13, 2018, 03:39:17 PM »

Of course the a***ole vetoed it.  Now the horrific SC can kiss Wolf's behind and draw it his way.  #ImpeachThem.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #457 on: February 13, 2018, 03:39:57 PM »

something something PA GOP something something bipartisan

Bagel, that's like the definition of an oxymoron.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #458 on: February 13, 2018, 03:42:59 PM »

Of course the a***ole vetoed it.  Now the horrific SC can kiss Wolf's behind and draw it his way.  #ImpeachThem.

Or, you know, Republicans could have just not gerrymandered it?
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #459 on: February 13, 2018, 03:44:37 PM »

Thanks for the date Gass3268!

Of course the a***ole vetoed it.  Now the horrific SC can kiss Wolf's behind and draw it his way.  #ImpeachThem.

Of course he would. Why would he approve another Republican gerrymander?

I have to admit, I don't usually see strongly worded posts from you. I'm a bit surprised to see it over a Republican gerrymander being overturned. This is all part of the game, right? Republicans rigged the maps for most of the decade, and they are finally getting their due. Who cares if the court's decision was partisan or not. It's pretty clear at this point that politics is just a game, with each player vying to obtain power via any means necessary Tongue
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #460 on: February 13, 2018, 03:45:05 PM »

something something PA GOP something something bipartisan

Bagel, that's like the definition of an oxymoron.

I just don't want the PA SC DEMS to get thrown out ok? Sad.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #461 on: February 13, 2018, 03:56:52 PM »

Of course the a***ole vetoed it.  Now the horrific SC can kiss Wolf's behind and draw it his way.  #ImpeachThem.

I have to admit, I don't usually see strongly worded posts from you. I'm a bit surprised to see it over a Republican gerrymander being overturned. This is all part of the game, right? Republicans rigged the maps for most of the decade, and they are finally getting their due. Who cares if the court's decision was partisan or not. It's pretty clear at this point that politics is just a game, with each player vying to obtain power via any means necessary Tongue

Oh, you think the PA Supreme Court will draw a fair map......

Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #462 on: February 13, 2018, 04:01:16 PM »

snip

Well I suppose we'll find out by next Monday. There has already been a lot of discussion about what the map could look like based on the rules the PASC dictated. It seems very unlikely they would push an unfair map, unless your definition of an unfair map was anything more friendly to Democrats than the current map. Do court-drawn maps even have a track record for being overly biased in favor of one party? I don't recall it being an issue.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #463 on: February 13, 2018, 04:05:01 PM »

9-6-3 in PA is not an unfair map in any universe.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #464 on: February 13, 2018, 04:05:37 PM »

If it improves from 13R 5D.....would you consider that "more" fair?

I'm assuming the answer is no.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #465 on: February 13, 2018, 04:06:42 PM »

snip

Well I suppose we'll find out by next Monday. There has already been a lot of discussion about what the map could look like based on the rules the PASC dictated. It seems very unlikely they would push an unfair map, unless your definition of an unfair map was anything more friendly to Democrats than the current map. Do court-drawn maps even have a track record for being overly biased in favor of one party? I don't recall it being an issue.

I remember some Republicans complaining about Minnesota, yet as we've seen it's really been a great map with lots of potentially competitive races.
LimoLiberal
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.71, S: -4.00

« Reply #466 on: February 13, 2018, 04:14:33 PM »

snip

I remember some Republicans complaining about Minnesota, yet as we've seen it's really been a great map with lots of potentially competitive races.

Minnesota is an objectively awesome map. There's a minority-ish district, a white liberal district, a wealthy suburb district, a working-class suburb district, a mining district, a driftless-area district, an agricultural rural district.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #467 on: February 13, 2018, 04:19:57 PM »

It doesn't?
Attorney General & PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P
« Reply #468 on: February 13, 2018, 04:31:00 PM »

It doesn't?

He asked whether YOU agree that a map more democratic than the current 13-5 map is fair....

-------------

A fair map should be designed to result in a 9-9 tie in a neutral climate, and that's the sort of map the court will hopefully draw.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #469 on: February 13, 2018, 04:57:03 PM »
« Edited: February 13, 2018, 04:59:28 PM by Good Guy With A Gun »

It doesn't?

He asked whether YOU agree that a map more democratic than the current 13-5 map is fair....

-------------

A fair map should be designed to result in a 9-9 tie in a neutral climate, and that's the sort of map the court will hopefully draw.

I have no problem with a map that's not 13-5.  

Edited to add - you're batsh**t crazy if you think a democratic majority would draw a  9-9 map......hell would freeze first.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #470 on: February 14, 2018, 06:13:51 PM »

According to DKE, the PA supreme court is accepting submissions until tomorrow...anyone have any idea where that is?

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2018/2/8/1739648/-Pennsylvania-will-soon-redraw-its-House-map-to-end-GOP-gerrymandering-How-would-you-draw-the-lines
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #471 on: February 14, 2018, 07:34:15 PM »

I have no idea. You could always try and tweet or PM on DK someone from DKE, like Stephen Wolf? (@PoliticsWolf iirc).

I looked briefly for a place to submit it and it isn't immediately obvious.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #472 on: February 14, 2018, 08:03:19 PM »

Tweet it to the special master Tongue
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #473 on: February 14, 2018, 10:15:31 PM »

After searching around on the web I found no to here mention of public submissions, so I wouldn't be surprised if they outright lied. Politicswolf often comes up with schemes like this to justify him spamming his maps, its why I hold him and DK in very low regard.

To be safe though, I did prepare a report and send it to the master.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #474 on: February 15, 2018, 01:05:45 PM »

This is the map PA House Democrats propose.

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 ... 46  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies