Which social issues are most important to you?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 05, 2024, 07:47:06 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Which social issues are most important to you?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: Which social issues are most important to you?  (Read 4595 times)
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 17, 2018, 12:00:56 AM »
« edited: April 03, 2018, 01:10:03 AM by MB »

What social issues are most important to you?

For me, without a doubt it's civil liberties (especially 1st and 4th amendment rights).
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2018, 12:09:44 AM »

I hate potheads, so keeping pot illegal.

I love the USA PATRIOT Act, I think people who prioritize "civil liberties" are unwittingly helping the enemy.
catographer
Megameow
United States
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2018, 12:20:51 AM »

gender equality, racial equality. lgbt rights.
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2018, 12:22:36 AM »

- Youth Rights
- LGBT Rights
- Sexual liberty
- Keeping media uncensored
- Stopping the outright prohibition of marijuana and the semi-prohibition of alcohol and tobacco
TPIG
ThatConservativeGuy
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 1.91

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2018, 01:33:10 AM »

Abortion, religious liberty, and 1st Amendment issues.
Cold War Liberal
KennedyWannabe99
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.53

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2018, 01:45:06 AM »

gender equality, racial equality. lgbt rights.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2018, 01:45:53 AM »

-Ending abortion
-Protecting full religious liberty and freedom of conscience for anyone who has anything remotely to do with a wedding
-Requiring that people use the bathroom of their biological sex assigned at birth

Also a couple that can't really be legislated, but are important to fight culturally

-Making casual sex, one-night stands, and hookups unacceptable again
-Removing alcohol's massive influence on our society
-Being able to make fun of vegans, blue-hairs, etc. (basically any sort of trendy or hipster new thing that would have been ridiculed 10 years ago)
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2018, 02:01:45 AM »
« Edited: January 17, 2018, 02:03:16 AM by HillGoose »

-Ending abortion
-Protecting full religious liberty and freedom of conscience for anyone who has anything remotely to do with a wedding
-Requiring that people use the bathroom of their biological sex assigned at birth

Also a couple that can't really be legislated, but are important to fight culturally

-Being able to make fun of vegans, blue-hairs, etc. (basically any sort of trendy or hipster new thing that would have been ridiculed 10 years ago)

i don't get why people get so mad over the private business refusing to bake a cake for a gay couple. as far as I'm aware, a business can refuse to serve someone for any reason.

i would be pissed if a government-owned cake shop (which sounds like something that would only exist under communism) was denying to bake a cake, because that's discrimination in government. But a private business can do whatever the hell they want.

This is coming from a gay guy.

Also you shouldn't make fun of people for their diet... when I was a child I got bullied a lot for being a vegetarian. It's not only rude but when you mock a child over their diet it harms them in the long run.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2018, 02:07:03 AM »

Definitely lgbtq rights, women's rights and freedom from religion (which is sorely lacking in Israel). Generally, just completely breaking the Chief Rabbinate's influence on any aspect of life in Israel, along with that of religious politicians trying to shut down the country on Saturdays. It's time to break the accursed "status quo" established between state and religion in Israel, which secular politicians are so concsious about and religious politicians have no problem trampling to force their way of life on all of us.
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2018, 02:07:51 AM »

BLM/criminal justice issues
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2018, 02:28:34 AM »

Civil liberties (which, in my mind, includes criminal justice issues) and government secularism, followed by abortion rights and LGBTQ+ rights.

Also, HillGoose is probably the scariest poster on this forum.
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2018, 02:33:38 AM »

Civil liberties (which, in my mind, includes criminal justice issues) and government secularism, followed by abortion rights and LGBTQ+ rights.

how so?
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2018, 02:41:50 AM »
« Edited: January 17, 2018, 02:48:54 AM by Parrotguy »

Idk, HillGoose is a meme. I find this much more disturbing:

-Ending abortion

ER is not a bad person, but this is basically a theocratic vision of oppressing and denying rights to half the population based on his own feelings and emotions (abortion is murder because I believe it is murder!) rather than scientific facts. Add to that the fact that letting anyone exercise "religious freedom" to descriminate in a business which offers its products to the general public is basically a green light of declaring war on the lgbtq community, and a "where are the old days where we oppressed people's sexual freedoms before teh gays and teh libruls arrived" and you get a pretty disturbing vision of a world where outdated, oppressive religious laws rule.
To me, this is just another proof that religion caused more misery than any other form of ideology- you don't need to back up any argument with anything other than "I believe". "I believe being gay is a sin and my belief should be put into law to make their life miserable." "I believe embryos are women and thus would like any woman who gets pregnant against her will to suffer the pain and permanent damage, both physical and mental, of a pregnancy." "I believe sex between a non-married couple is, for some reason, an immoral act and thus would like to make the life of youths miserable again."
I'm thankful every day that these views are now outdated, and that people like me don't need to feel like they're a disgusting sin.
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2018, 03:16:21 AM »

Idk, HillGoose is a meme. I find this much more disturbing:

-Ending abortion

ER is not a bad person, but this is basically a theocratic vision of oppressing and denying rights to half the population based on his own feelings and emotions (abortion is murder because I believe it is murder!) rather than scientific facts. Add to that the fact that letting anyone exercise "religious freedom" to descriminate in a business which offers its products to the general public is basically a green light of declaring war on the lgbtq community, and a "where are the old days where we oppressed people's sexual freedoms before teh gays and teh libruls arrived" and you get a pretty disturbing vision of a world where outdated, oppressive religious laws rule.
To me, this is just another proof that religion caused more misery than any other form of ideology- you don't need to back up any argument with anything other than "I believe". "I believe being gay is a sin and my belief should be put into law to make their life miserable." "I believe embryos are women and thus would like any woman who gets pregnant against her will to suffer the pain and permanent damage, both physical and mental, of a pregnancy." "I believe sex between a non-married couple is, for some reason, an immoral act and thus would like to make the life of youths miserable again."
I'm thankful every day that these views are now outdated, and that people like me don't need to feel like they're a disgusting sin.

i wish i hadn't had premarital sex, so that i could figure out i was gay before i traumatized myself by having sex with women.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2018, 03:22:58 AM »

Criminal justice and education.
Orthogonian Society Treasurer
CommanderClash
YaBB God
Bermuda

Political Matrix
E: 0.32, S: 4.78

P
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2018, 04:00:22 AM »

Affordable family formation, the problem from which almost every other social issue stems. As in Japan, Poland, and elsewhere, governments in the west should materially incentivize and support the raising of children by married couples.
catographer
Megameow
United States
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2018, 04:30:08 AM »

-Ending abortion

i don't get why people get so mad over the private business refusing to bake a cake for a gay couple. as far as I'm aware, a business can refuse to serve someone for any reason.

i would be pissed if a government-owned cake shop (which sounds like something that would only exist under communism) was denying to bake a cake, because that's discrimination in government. But a private business can do whatever the hell they want.

This is coming from a gay guy.

Also you shouldn't make fun of people for their diet... when I was a child I got bullied a lot for being a vegetarian. It's not only rude but when you mock a child over their diet it harms them in the long run.

"a business can refuse to serve someone for any reason"

this just isn't factually accurate.
https://www.legalzoom.com/articles/the-right-to-refuse-service-can-a-business-refuse-service-to-someone-because-of-appearance

also i dont think it makes sense that only religious business owners can refuse service to gay ppl, cuz it counts as "religious liberty." but if you have a secular reason to deny to gays, ex. you just find them gross or something, then you cant use the religion defense. double standard?

-

You must be logged in to read this quote.

this all put together is essentially violating the "freedom of conscience" or civil liberties of everyone else, with an exception for your preferred religious group.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

this is culturally enforcing your own personal life style preferences onto everyone else, which i find authoritarian and kinda insane. everyone should live according to how you want them to??? as a liberal, i think our culture should allow for multiple lifestyles so that you can do you, and someone else can live how they want.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2018, 04:36:37 AM »

Affordable family formation, the problem from which almost every other social issue stems. As in Japan, Poland, and elsewhere, governments in the west should materially incentivize and support the raising of children by married couples.

I'd actually support this, to some degree (above 4-5 is too much and should be discouraged for economically poorer families). But married couples should apply to all married couples, including lgbtq ones, which I'm pretty sure you disagree with.
catographer
Megameow
United States
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2018, 04:46:20 AM »

I'd actually support this, to some degree (above 4-5 is too much and should be discouraged for economically poorer families). But married couples should apply to all married couples, including lgbtq ones, which I'm pretty sure you disagree with.

maybe the govt could even subsidize adoption?
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2018, 05:14:31 AM »

maybe the govt could even subsidize adoption?

Not sure about more government funding, but it should definitely encourage lgbtq couples to adopt children by decreasing beaurocracy rather than discouraging it like today. Children aren't born homophobes and children who don't have parents don't care if their adoptive parents are two women, two men or a man and a woman. All they want is a warm house and a loving family, which lgbtq couples are perfectly capable of providing.
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2018, 09:40:20 AM »

LGBTQ+(especially the T) rights
Immigration
Racial issues
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2018, 10:14:02 AM »

I actually agree with Clash.
The Govanah Jake
Jake Jewvinivisk

Political Matrix
E: -2.39, S: -5.30

« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2018, 10:36:57 AM »

Personlly it's Marijuania legalization (gotta raise though pot stocks man). Though what Clash said is up their on my priorities too.
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2018, 10:46:26 AM »

does ur "married couples" include gay married couples?
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2018, 10:59:47 AM »

Bill of rights.

Most important of these for me are free exercise, free speech, and guns.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies