Torching a synagoge NOT an anti-Semetic act in Germany...somehow
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 04:17:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Torching a synagoge NOT an anti-Semetic act in Germany...somehow
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Torching a synagoge NOT an anti-Semetic act in Germany...somehow  (Read 1236 times)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 16, 2018, 10:42:11 PM »

pick your poison

from Vox
You must be logged in to read this quote.
what in the actual funk?  Seriously disgusting.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2018, 11:16:20 PM »

...yeah, this is an absolutely shameful decision. I hope it will be reversed in appeal.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2018, 11:25:19 PM »

Looks like Germany learned nothing from the Holocaust after all.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2018, 02:16:38 AM »

...yeah, this is an absolutely shameful decision. I hope it will be reversed in appeal.

Europe seriously needs to reverse its trend of Smiley nice freedom fighters Smiley when talking about antisemitic Palestinian terrorism.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2018, 07:59:26 AM »

The leopard doesn't change its spots.
mvd10
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: -2.61

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2018, 12:04:54 PM »

A reminder that Tender Branson probably would have gotten a life sentence in Germany for his forum posts, because Germany.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2018, 12:12:29 PM »

Articles are from January 2017.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2018, 01:29:49 PM »

Looks like Germany learned nothing from the Holocaust after all.
What I think annoys me the most about your posts is that they usually include an unsolicited, hyper generic yet also non sensical statement, and then concludes with something to the effect “after all” as if your (wrong) opinion on an important matter is nonchalant.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2018, 03:07:57 PM »

All the Americans commenting in this thread should remember that, under the US "Free Speech" Smiley Smiley Smiley jurisprudence, the perpetrator also couldn't have been convicted of anything beyond arson, because hey, antisemitism is an opinion and therefore is protected by muh First Amendment. Smiley Smiley Smiley
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2018, 03:23:32 PM »

All the Americans commenting in this thread should remember that, under the US "Free Speech" Smiley Smiley Smiley jurisprudence, the perpetrator also couldn't have been convicted of anything beyond arson, because hey, antisemitism is an opinion and therefore is protected by muh First Amendment. Smiley Smiley Smiley
Don't judges/juries have the right to take into account the fact that it was a hate crime?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2018, 03:47:07 PM »

that's your defense?  That we should have made fun of your backward, bigoted country a year ago.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2018, 03:50:30 PM »

Don't judges/juries have the right to take into account the fact that it was a hate crime?
Not only is this a hate crime, it's also destroying public property. (Though arson might cover that already...dunno for sure, I am not a lawyer)
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2018, 03:54:14 PM »

that's your defense?  That we should have made fun of your backward, bigoted country a year ago.
Stop criticizing Germany unfairly. Germany isn't 'backward' and isn't anymore bigoted than the typical country.
It just makes you look stupid, sorry.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2018, 04:48:50 PM »

Stop criticizing Germany unfairly. Germany isn't 'backward' and isn't anymore bigoted than the typical country.
It just makes you look stupid, sorry.
Where did I criticize Germany unfairly?  They're the ones that did this amazingly stupid thing, not me.  (there is a reason "Florida or Germany" is a thing)

And you don't have to apologize to me for the insult, nobody with that many things in their sig could possibly insult me.  It would be like being insulted by some dude driving a PT Cruiser or wearing clown shoes, straight up impossible. Wink
palandio

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2018, 05:05:22 PM »

As a German I feel ashamed and don't want to be associated with this. 

Usually I like to think of the views shown by the judges here as existing only as a caricature; made up by neo-con pro-Israel falcons in Germany (like H.M. Broder); and directed against the stereotypical well-meaning lefties and everyone else H.M. Broder doesn't like.

But sadly these views seem to be pretty mainstream in Germany (and elsewhere in Europe) and H.M. Broder seems to be partially right.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2018, 05:11:21 PM »

Mhmm....
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2018, 05:17:39 PM »

It would have been felony arson as a hate crime. The hate criminal would have gotten over a decade in prison, most likely.  Violent destruction of property isn't "Free speech". Smiley Smiley Smiley
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2018, 05:21:51 PM »

In the US this would've definitely been tried as a hate crime. I have no clue what you're talking about.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2018, 10:10:31 PM »

Yes. Tony is basically just flat out making stuff up out of his blatant misinterpretation. Hell in most states this would even be considered a different crime under a different statute that calls for tougher sentences than simple arson or vandalism. Example: http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/ct-loop-synagogue-hate-crime-20170208-story.html
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2018, 12:09:26 AM »

I distinctly remember a case from the 1990s or 2000s where the Supreme Court said that you couldn't take into account racist/hateful intent as an aggravating circumstance in punishing a crime. I don't remember the specifics and I guess it might not apply here, but I'm pretty sure I'm not making this up.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2018, 12:12:04 AM »

I distinctly remember a case from the 1990s or 2000s where the Supreme Court said that you couldn't take into account racist/hateful intent as an aggravating circumstance in punishing a crime. I don't remember the specifics and I guess it might not apply here, but I'm pretty sure I'm not making this up.

If I remember well, the decision was than it cannot be considered as an aggravating circumstrance unless the state law states it.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2018, 12:59:15 AM »

By this logic, you could burn down a mosque and it wouldn't be a hate crime, it would just be a response to the Cologne rape attacks. I don't expect German law to apply equally to White Germans though.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2018, 05:21:27 AM »

If I remember well, the decision was than it cannot be considered as an aggravating circumstrance unless the state law states it.

If that's the case than the decision had nothing to do with the First Amendment but over legal precedent on aggravating circumstances.

No court has ever ruled that hate crimes are protected free speech. That's a downright absurd statement. Tony is absolutely f[inks]ing ridiculous.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies