SAM News Corp. Comment and Debate thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 01:44:12 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SAM News Corp. Comment and Debate thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 11
Author Topic: SAM News Corp. Comment and Debate thread  (Read 20741 times)
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: October 13, 2005, 08:07:03 PM »

Sam did you see what I posted about the Social Security Reform bill?
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #76 on: October 13, 2005, 08:15:57 PM »

Oh, saw your last post.  Does that include cuts for teachers and highway patrol, or no?

Yes, it does include those cuts.

And is it possible to find out what the savings would be without cutting salaries of highway patrol and teachers?
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #77 on: October 14, 2005, 06:09:04 AM »

First, it was the passage of the Adding States Amendment, giving the Senate legal authority to add states to the Union without regards to their own personal wants.  Certain Imperial Senators, who have long wanted Atlasia to take over the world, without regards to the world's opinion, got their way on this, and will certainly use it at the earliest possible opportunity to annex some territory, province or other once the election is over.

Those "imperial Senators" that supported the amendment don't seem to be waiting for the election to be over to annex anything.  I seem to remember MasterJedi introducing various bills several months ago that were met with opposition and would have been soundly defeated either way.  The amendment has been passed for a while now, and frankly it doesn't seem plausible to me that he's just waiting until October 24th to re-introduce the Greenland Annexation Bill, the Canada Annexation Bill, etc.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #78 on: October 15, 2005, 12:10:08 AM »

Oh, saw your last post.  Does that include cuts for teachers and highway patrol, or no?

And is it possible to find out what the savings would be without cutting salaries of highway patrol and teachers?

After doing a little research, I'm going to say $1.5 billion.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #79 on: October 15, 2005, 01:24:32 AM »

Sweet.  Thanks a lot for all the work, as a former GM I know the pain in the rear that can be budget research.

If I can pass these cuts, I get to start having some real fun.

How's my regions economy by the way?  Obviously suffering the national recession, but I get the feeling we've weathered it better than other regions.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #80 on: October 15, 2005, 02:02:12 AM »

Sweet.  Thanks a lot for all the work, as a former GM I know the pain in the rear that can be budget research.

If I can pass these cuts, I get to start having some real fun.

How's my regions economy by the way?  Obviously suffering the national recession, but I get the feeling we've weathered it better than other regions.

Yes, you have.  The Regional budget updates probably won't happen this week, maybe next week.

I'm also impressed the Pacific seems to be the first Region to finally consolidate services and administrative concerns under one central command.

If I were governor, that would be the first thing I would do to save funds.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #81 on: October 15, 2005, 04:49:58 AM »

Any unemployment figures by district and region?
Max Power
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 1.84, S: -8.09

« Reply #82 on: October 15, 2005, 10:11:57 AM »

Any unemployment figures by district and region?
Yeah, and what's the Northeast's deficit?
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #83 on: October 15, 2005, 03:43:42 PM »

Sam did you see what I posted about the Social Security Reform bill?

Still waiting.  Smiley
CheeseWhiz
YaBB God

« Reply #84 on: October 15, 2005, 03:45:14 PM »

So, that's for the Pacific?  How much would we save if we did that with the Midwest?
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #85 on: October 15, 2005, 04:13:38 PM »

It's coming tonight.  I got behind on the Friday Business update.
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #86 on: October 15, 2005, 10:03:50 PM »

It's coming tonight.  I got behind on the Friday Business update.

Thanks.  Smiley
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #87 on: October 16, 2005, 09:14:26 AM »

Sierra Club President Lisa Renstrom said on Wednesday that the agreement will "weaken the quality of air and water in Atlasia, allowing vehicles and products to come into Atlasia that do not meet the environmental standards that this country sets."

Obviously, those people have not read the Act, since it splicitly states that goods that are illegal in the country of entrance are not covered by the treaty.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #88 on: October 17, 2005, 02:41:39 AM »

I would like to officially respond to this criticism from last night's misleading episode of Larry King: Sort of Alive and Kicking and Married to a Mormon:

Some of my opponents have proposed to expand the powers of the Presidency. It has been suggested that the President should be able to introduce legislation directly. To be frank, I do not believe that this step will be necessary, if the President is sufficiently active in the first place. As Vice President, I have found that Senators have always been willing to introduce proposals I have recommended. Negotiation between the President and the Senate, I believe, would improve the quality of our government. But if the President could merely instruct the Senate to consider any particular bill, negotiation would be discouraged.[/i]

Larry King:  Yep, we certainly don't need another Alcon, do we folks?

(laughs)

It is completely untrue that I was a lazy President who relied upon the effort of others in the Senate and various other external matters.

I'd kick your ass, but I'm kinda tired, so I'm probably going to get Peter Bell to instead.  He's still on payroll, I think.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #89 on: October 17, 2005, 02:44:13 AM »

I would like to officially respond to this criticism from last night's misleading episode of Larry King: Sort of Alive and Kicking and Married to a Mormon:

Some of my opponents have proposed to expand the powers of the Presidency. It has been suggested that the President should be able to introduce legislation directly. To be frank, I do not believe that this step will be necessary, if the President is sufficiently active in the first place. As Vice President, I have found that Senators have always been willing to introduce proposals I have recommended. Negotiation between the President and the Senate, I believe, would improve the quality of our government. But if the President could merely instruct the Senate to consider any particular bill, negotiation would be discouraged.[/i]

(laughs)

It is completely untrue that I was a lazy President who relied upon the effort of others in the Senate and various other external matters.

I'd kick your ass, but I'm kinda tired, so I'm probably going to get Peter Bell to instead.  He's still on payroll, I think.

Please kick Larry ass instead.  I'm only the editor and CEO.  Cheesy
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #90 on: October 17, 2005, 02:45:45 AM »

Also, Regional Roundup is not going to be printed this week, as time factors took precedence over printing.

Ron Troupe is still alive and kicking, however.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #91 on: October 17, 2005, 02:46:03 AM »

(laughs)

Honestly, I wasn't really paying much attention when Peter Bell read the post to me.  Sorry about that.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #92 on: October 17, 2005, 02:47:32 AM »

(laughs)

Honestly, I wasn't really paying much attention when Peter Bell read the post to me.  Sorry about that.

Well, all I can say is that Larry's probably used to it by now, considering he's gotten it from about 6-7 ex-wives before.
Siege40

Political Matrix
E: -6.25, S: -4.26

« Reply #93 on: October 19, 2005, 05:51:43 PM »

The Cross of Fiscal responsibility was an allusion to the Cross of Gold speech, I was rather proud of that one, Wink.

Siege
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #94 on: October 20, 2005, 07:56:56 AM »

Thank you again for conducting my interview.  Unlike Bill "big blubbering vagina" O'Reilly, it actually was fair and balanced.  Smiley
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #95 on: October 20, 2005, 09:13:40 AM »

Thank you again for conducting my interview.  Unlike Bill "big blubbering vagina" O'Reilly, it actually was fair and balanced.  Smiley

Bill O' Reilly was only going to maybe host the show if you didn't return your interview.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #96 on: October 25, 2005, 05:11:47 PM »

Meanwhile, SoFA ilikeverin has been nearly silent in the controversy, preferring to only say...

Next time I'll be sure to patrol the forum and rebutt every single argument instead of doing my job, thanks Smiley
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #97 on: October 25, 2005, 06:45:13 PM »

psst...hey Sam, confirm that the Canadian Army is coming to East Atlasia's aide. God save teh Queen!
Siege40

Political Matrix
E: -6.25, S: -4.26

« Reply #98 on: October 27, 2005, 05:39:27 PM »

I spend two nights dedicated to homework and I'm ruled inactive, nice. Well, better get caught up on this madness.

Siege
Q
QQQQQQ

Political Matrix
E: 2.26, S: -4.88

« Reply #99 on: October 28, 2005, 11:17:08 AM »

Sam, I found myself agreeing with almost everything in your most recent editorial, which summed up perfectly, in my opinion, all that's been going on in Atlasia as of late.  I hadn't even considered some of the implications you discuss, and they've both given me new perspective on all this as well as convinced me that my feelings about it have been reasonable.  Thank you for your continued insights as GM.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 11  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies