What white ethnic groups do you think usually vote Democrat?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 02:51:46 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  What white ethnic groups do you think usually vote Democrat?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: What white ethnic groups do you think usually vote Democrat?  (Read 3094 times)
Strudelcutie4427
Singletxguyforfun
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2018, 12:12:12 PM »

I think some guy on here calculated it and apparently Armenians are the only white ethnicity that probably voted for Clinton. Although idk about other groups that could be considered white or groups that are too small to accurately measure (such as Persians, Georgians, Azerbaijanis)

Portuguese almost certainly voted for Clinton.

Portuguese would be close. The only place there’s a lot of them swing heavily to trump but Clinton won Fall River and New Bedford. However, a lot of the smaller towns around them in SOuthern Mass did vote for trump
Clinton still won Fall River by ~20, New Bedford by ~30, and Taunton by ~10. In RI, Clinton won Bristol by ~20 and East Providence by ~25. In California, I think the Portuguese are probably more conservative, especially the families who've been there for a long time. However, that probably trades off with the Portuguese in Newark and Boston and Hartford.
The Portuguese seem to now vote more Republican than Massachusetts as a whole (while about 10 years ago, this was not the case), but results like the 2014 MA AG election suggest they prefer generic Democrats over generic Republicans.
Portuguese areas seem to have voted for Coakley over Baker in 2014 too.

It's probably close since Coakley won Fall River and New Bedford but I think Baker won all the other pink towns. Although there are a decent amount of Portuguese in the uber-Republican (on the state level) towns like Weymouth, Braintree, and Plymouth
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2018, 10:07:27 AM »

Most American Bosniaks (but not all!) are refugees from the Former Yugoslavia. Consequently they have a typically weird refugee resettlement pattern where the largest populations are in St. Louis (as previously mentioned) and upstate New York, particularly in Utica and Syracuse.
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2018, 02:25:44 PM »

It depends which election.  In the most recent one only some of the minor white groups like those from the Balkans, Arabs, Armenians.   Maybe Portuguese as Hawaii, Rhode Island, Massachusetts, and California is where they are most numerous and perhaps Greeks who are mostly in large cities.  Now Obama may have very well won the Swedish, Finnish, and perhaps even Norwegian vote, but pretty sure that group swung over to Trump.  Likewise Italians and Polish were probably close to a 50/50 split under Obama, but swung over to Trump.  Spanish probably voted for Clinton but they are classified as Hispanic.  French ancestry might have gone for Obama as the areas where they are largest is New England where Obama strongly won the white vote and Louisiana where the white vote went heavily McCain/Romney, but I am guessing Trump probably carried that group in 2016.
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2018, 06:41:53 PM »

Any way to know the Greek American vote?  On the one hand, they're highly educated which suggests they would be Democrat.  On the other hand a lot of "common sense" and "practical" business types who I can see being into Trump. 

I guess look at results in Astoria, Whitestone and Tarpon Springs? 
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2018, 07:03:15 PM »

Any way to know the Greek American vote?  On the one hand, they're highly educated which suggests they would be Democrat.  On the other hand a lot of "common sense" and "practical" business types who I can see being into Trump. 

I guess look at results in Astoria, Whitestone and Tarpon Springs? 

Most of the places with large Greek communities are city proper of large urban centres which the Democrats got over 70% in and in some cases like Chicago, New York City, Philadelphia, and Boston they got over 80%.  Unlike other whites, they tend to live more in the city proper or inner suburbs rather than outerlying suburbs or exurbs.  Now true, many areas with heavy Greek populations are minority majority areas thus why its possible Trump won them, but I tend to think they were one of the few to go Democrat.
Joe McCarthy Was Right
Rookie
United States

« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2018, 03:39:48 PM »

It depends which election.  In the most recent one only some of the minor white groups like those from the Balkans, Arabs, Armenians.   Maybe Portuguese as Hawaii, Rhode Island, Massachusetts, and California is where they are most numerous and perhaps Greeks who are mostly in large cities.  Now Obama may have very well won the Swedish, Finnish, and perhaps even Norwegian vote, but pretty sure that group swung over to Trump.  Likewise Italians and Polish were probably close to a 50/50 split under Obama, but swung over to Trump.  Spanish probably voted for Clinton but they are classified as Hispanic.  French ancestry might have gone for Obama as the areas where they are largest is New England where Obama strongly won the white vote and Louisiana where the white vote went heavily McCain/Romney, but I am guessing Trump probably carried that group in 2016.
French Canadians clearly leaned to Obama, but they started to lean Republican in senate and governor races before Trump so I didn't count them. I was hesitant to put Norwegians on there too because Divide County ND voted heavily for Romney. But the Obama-Trump counties in southwest Wisconsin are heavily Norwegian.

It looks like every white Catholic group swung towards Trump (except maybe the Irish, but they voted for him in the primaries), while every white Protestant group (except Scandinavian and Appalachian whites) swung towards Clinton.
Hydera

« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2018, 04:00:28 PM »

It depends which election.  In the most recent one only some of the minor white groups like those from the Balkans, Arabs, Armenians.   Maybe Portuguese as Hawaii, Rhode Island, Massachusetts, and California is where they are most numerous and perhaps Greeks who are mostly in large cities.  Now Obama may have very well won the Swedish, Finnish, and perhaps even Norwegian vote, but pretty sure that group swung over to Trump.  Likewise Italians and Polish were probably close to a 50/50 split under Obama, but swung over to Trump.  Spanish probably voted for Clinton but they are classified as Hispanic.  French ancestry might have gone for Obama as the areas where they are largest is New England where Obama strongly won the white vote and Louisiana where the white vote went heavily McCain/Romney, but I am guessing Trump probably carried that group in 2016.
French Canadians clearly leaned to Obama, but they started to lean Republican in senate and governor races before Trump so I didn't count them. I was hesitant to put Norwegians on there too because Divide County ND voted heavily for Romney. But the Obama-Trump counties in southwest Wisconsin are heavily Norwegian.

It looks like every white Catholic group swung towards Trump (except maybe the Irish, but they voted for him in the primaries), while every white Protestant group (except Scandinavian and Appalachian whites) swung towards Clinton.

Western North Dakota obviously has a spill off effect from Oil. Even though the Oil industry took off after 2010. By 2005 there was already a noticeable effect in more oil related jobs there. Which made Norwegians americans there less likely to swing to Democrat as much as Norwegian americans did elsewhere where they were numerous(Eastern ND/Western Minnesota and Western Wisconsin) considering Obama had to campaign on environmentalist themes because it was already a strong belief in the Democratic voter base by 2008.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies