Pacific Legislature Official Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 07:24:21 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Pacific Legislature Official Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 73
Author Topic: Pacific Legislature Official Thread  (Read 261217 times)
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #175 on: February 03, 2006, 06:05:35 PM »

I think the Department of U covers Regional Goverment Aid to the University's and Community College's so they can cover some of their additional cost's.   
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #176 on: February 03, 2006, 06:10:43 PM »

Out of curiosity, what is "Department of University", anyway, and how are its functions not covered by the Department of Education?

It runs the University system.  All public universities are administered under this department.  The Department also handles all the formerly state government aid and loans to college students, which is a subtantial sum.

This year's budget is a large enough sum to fund the construction of the University of the Pacific Region which is a goal our Region set out to achieve in December of 2004 under Proposition 8.  We can now fund the planning and groundbreaking of that project.
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #177 on: February 03, 2006, 08:02:56 PM »

On an unrealated subject wouldn't prop 5 of the propostions be covered by the Federal Goverment? 
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #178 on: February 03, 2006, 08:05:19 PM »

Out of curiosity, what is "Department of University", anyway, and how are its functions not covered by the Department of Education?

It runs the University system.  All public universities are administered under this department.  The Department also handles all the formerly state government aid and loans to college students, which is a subtantial sum.

This year's budget is a large enough sum to fund the construction of the University of the Pacific Region which is a goal our Region set out to achieve in December of 2004 under Proposition 8.  We can now fund the planning and groundbreaking of that project.

I probably missed something, for which I apologize, but why is it a department unto itself?  Aren't universities part of education?
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #179 on: February 03, 2006, 08:08:32 PM »

So you are arguing to cut the Dempartment of U?
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #180 on: February 03, 2006, 08:12:43 PM »

So you are arguing to cut the Dempartment of U?

Not "cut", per se, given that I'm not proposing we remove any money from the budget, but I'm asking why the Department of Education can't do what the Department of University does (since, logically speaking, universities are part of education).
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #181 on: February 03, 2006, 08:20:55 PM »

We could combine the two.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #182 on: February 09, 2006, 10:00:13 PM »

I'd like to hear how many people support combining the Departments of University and Education or if people that is a suprfluous idea.  I am open to either, actually.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #183 on: February 09, 2006, 10:06:41 PM »

Well, I'd first like to hear why the Department of University was created in the first place.  It seems like kind of specific thing to dedicate an entire department to.  At the very least, the Department of Education should be renamed if we keep the Department of University, given that it will no longer be the only department that covers education.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #184 on: February 09, 2006, 10:35:51 PM »

Well, I'd first like to hear why the Department of University was created in the first place.  It seems like kind of specific thing to dedicate an entire department to.  At the very least, the Department of Education should be renamed if we keep the Department of University, given that it will no longer be the only department that covers education.

In California, I'm pretty sure the Universities are actually not in the Department of Education.  They are run by the Board of Regents, an independent body.  The Department of Ed in California only deals with primary and secondary schools.  So seperating the two seemed very natural to someone who's home state does in fact seperate the two.

The Department of University on its own has the third largest budget in the Regional government.  It does have a mission that seems specialized on the surface, but its actually quite extensive when you dig deeper.

So, it was the size of the budget and the fact that in California the two things are seperated if memory serves that led to them being two seperate departments.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #185 on: February 10, 2006, 01:46:14 AM »

In California, I'm pretty sure the Universities are actually not in the Department of Education.  They are run by the Board of Regents, an independent body.  The Department of Ed in California only deals with primary and secondary schools.  So seperating the two seemed very natural to someone who's home state does in fact seperate the two.

The Department of University on its own has the third largest budget in the Regional government.  It does have a mission that seems specialized on the surface, but its actually quite extensive when you dig deeper.

So, it was the size of the budget and the fact that in California the two things are seperated if memory serves that led to them being two seperate departments.

Well, I'm not really knowledgable about this stuff, it was just something that occurred to me when looking at their two names.

I think that the Department of Education could stand to have its name changed to clear up any confusion people might have about its function if we're going to leave the Department of University, but that's a rather minor thing.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #186 on: February 10, 2006, 01:48:53 AM »

I'd hardly expect someone from British Columbia to know the nooks and crannies of the California state government.  I certainly don't know much about the BC government.  Just explaining why it made sense to me at the time.

I'm going to ask the GM if there are any saving from consolidating the two.  If there are savings, I plan to amend my budget proposal and combine the two departments.  If there are no savings, or if there is no response, then I would suggest we just keep things as is.

Are there any other issues of concern folks have?
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #187 on: February 13, 2006, 02:36:22 AM »

I'm going to say no to any savings in a merger of the two departments.

This is precisely because they cover such distinct areas of government; there really are no major overlapping functions that I can find that would be saved by consolidation.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #188 on: February 13, 2006, 03:12:17 PM »

With the GM's notice of no savings, the bill shall not be amended.  24 hours for any one to voice any further concerns they have on this budget.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #189 on: February 14, 2006, 05:04:18 PM »

Debate has essentially died down.  Since there are no further comments, I open the vote on the 2006 Budget.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #190 on: February 15, 2006, 03:31:43 AM »

Aye.
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

« Reply #191 on: February 16, 2006, 12:59:36 PM »

Aye.
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #192 on: February 21, 2006, 07:44:56 PM »

Aye
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #193 on: February 21, 2006, 07:46:54 PM »

Are we going to move on to another issue now or what are we going to do now?
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #194 on: February 21, 2006, 07:53:27 PM »

Aye
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #195 on: February 21, 2006, 07:57:08 PM »

I think this one remains open for a week, and if anyone wants to introduce anything after that, they may.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #196 on: February 22, 2006, 01:00:25 AM »

I think this one remains open for a week, and if anyone wants to introduce anything after that, they may.

You need 3 signatures, actually, to introduce something (or get the Gov. to introduce it for you, as he doesn't need signatures).
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #197 on: February 22, 2006, 01:43:49 AM »

You need 3 signatures, actually, to introduce something (or get the Gov. to introduce it for you, as he doesn't need signatures).

I know, but I will be instituting a policy of introducing everything myself, within reason.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #198 on: February 23, 2006, 02:56:36 AM »
« Edited: February 24, 2006, 09:57:04 PM by Governor Alcon »

With a vote of 4-0, the 2006 Budget has passed.

These ideas were proposed to me.  Legalese is not my greatest talent, but I hope I conveyed these well enough into bills.

Amendment to Abolish Chief Justice of the Pacific Region
1. Whereas, the position of Chief Justice of the Pacific Region position is functionally useless;
2. The position of Chief Justice of the Pacific Region is hereby abolished.
3. All powers held by the Chief Justice of the Pacific Region will be reverted to their statuses prior to the establishment of the position.

Regional Office Establishment Proposition
1. Whereas, citizens far from the regional capital of Sacramento are unable to obtain documentation;
2. Small regional offices will be established in the following cities:
a. The city of Olympia, Thurston County, Washington;
b. The city of Salem, Marion County, Oregon;
c. The city of Boise, Ada County, Idaho;
d. The city of Helena, Lewis and Clark County, Montana;
e. The independent city of Carson City, Nevada;
f.  The city of Phoenix, Maricopa County, Arizona;
g. The city of Albuquerque, Bernalillo, New Mexico;
h. The independent city of Juneau, Alaska, municipal proper;
i. And the urban district of Honolulu, Honolulu County, Hawaii.
3. Regional offices will provide and archive documentation and manage cases for forwarding to the central office in Sacramento.
4. An additional $100 million from the current clerical budget will be appropriated yearly for salaries and building maintainence.

I will now open up discussion on these issues.
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

« Reply #199 on: February 23, 2006, 01:34:20 PM »

With a vote of 4-0, the 2006 Budget has passed.

These ideas were proposed to me.  Legalese is not my greatest talent, but I hope I conveyed these well enough into bills.

Amendment to Abolish Chief Justice of the Pacific Region
1. Whereas, the position of Chief Justice of the Pacific Region position is functionally useless;
2. The position of Chief Justice of the Pacific Region is hereby abolished.
3. All powers held by the Chief Justice of the Pacific Region will be reverted to their statuses prior to the establishment of the position.

Leaning in favor of this.

Regional Office Establishment Proposition
1. Whereas, citizens far from the regional capital of Sacramento are unable to obtain documentation;
2. Small regional offices will be established in the following cities:
a. The city of Olympia, Thurston County, Washington;
b. The city of Salem, Marion County, Oregon;
c. The city of Boise, Ada County, Idaho;
d. The city of Helena, Lewis and Clark County, Montana;
e. The independent city of Carson City, Nevada;
f.  The city of Phoenix, Maricopa County, Arizona;
g. The city of Santa Fe, Santa Fe County, New Mexico;
h. The independent city of Juneau, Alaska, municipal proper;
i. And the urban district of Honolulu, Honolulu County, Hawaii.
3. Regional offices will provide and archive documentation and manage cases for forwarding to the central office in Sacramento.
4. An additional $100 million from the current clerical budget will be appropriated yearly for salaries and building maintainence.

I will now open up discussion on these issues.

While I understand your logic in choosing the state capitals, Albuquerque is actually way easier for most New Mexicans to get to...you can actually park sometimes. Tongue
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 73  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies