Pacific Legislature Official Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 01:18:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Pacific Legislature Official Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38 39 40 ... 73
Author Topic: Pacific Legislature Official Thread  (Read 261570 times)
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: -5.13

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #850 on: August 12, 2009, 06:44:27 PM »

This bill attacks the forefront causes of the destuction of important honeybees in our region, a significant problem facing our large agricultural industry. Bees are essential to the pollenation of many plants, and the rapid decline in populations recently is appalling. Hopefully some fellow Pacific citizens recognize this atrocity and will work with me by either signing on this measure or adding to it as a means of improvement. Thank you. Hamilton
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #851 on: August 13, 2009, 12:33:52 PM »

I note that this region is undergoing a totally innocent population boom.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #852 on: August 13, 2009, 01:50:57 PM »

Perhaps the recent excitement will spur the legislature to be more active?
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #853 on: August 13, 2009, 05:39:22 PM »

I'm sure the drones will be active, as always!
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #854 on: August 13, 2009, 08:31:13 PM »

Well, he needs to act like they are not drones and than they will be active, since he will need RPP votes to be reelected. He panders to them since a while, while denying it.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #855 on: August 13, 2009, 08:39:20 PM »

Well, he needs to act like they are not drones and than they will be active, since he will need RPP votes to be reelected. He panders to them since a while, while denying it.

Is this like your new thing Max? Lord almighty. Has the JCP taken on some concerted effort to run a negative campaign against me? Or is it just Marokai and Max? Fritz had fallen into doing it at one point, but he stopped when he realized how silly it is.

But seriously Max, I'm more than willing to see you prove how I have attempted to curry favor with one party any more than the others. The truth is, you're just grasping at straws.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #856 on: August 13, 2009, 09:03:37 PM »

Is this like your new thing Max? Lord almighty. Has the JCP taken on some concerted effort to run a negative campaign against me? Or is it just Marokai and Max? Fritz had fallen into doing it at one point, but he stopped when he realized how silly it is.

But seriously Max, I'm more than willing to see you prove how I have attempted to curry favor with one party any more than the others. The truth is, you're just grasping at straws.

I hve nothing against you and I don't want your defeat. Just stop to deny the reality about some of the new voters. Someone quoting posts without adding any substance to reach 50 posts and register is suspicious.

Having three RPPers registering the same night in the Pacific is suspicious, especially just before an election.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

« Reply #857 on: August 16, 2009, 02:27:51 AM »

AIDS Prevention Act Funding Extension

1. In accordance with the AIDS Prevention Act, whereby funding was only committed to FY 2008, the Pacific Government pledges $10 million towards condom distribution programs effective FY 2010.
2. The Pacific Government pledges $10 million towards needle exchange programs effective FY 2010.

x Ebowed
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #858 on: August 16, 2009, 02:30:07 AM »

Where is the money coming from?
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #859 on: August 16, 2009, 02:34:21 AM »

From that fantastic budget surplus we have always had. Grin
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #860 on: August 16, 2009, 02:44:35 AM »

From that fantastic budget surplus we have always had. Grin
Well in that case....

I'd like to see some real funding data, perhaps an outline of this budget and where funds will be allocated from.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #861 on: August 16, 2009, 02:50:26 AM »

I'd like to see some real funding data,

lol, and do what with it?  Stare at it for a couple minutes?

perhaps an outline of this budget and where funds will be allocated from.

An interesting view given that you proposed a bill to fund research into medicine for bees.  (Notably, without determining how much funding this research would receive.)

Funds, of course, will be allocated from tax revenue, like any other spending proposal.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #862 on: August 16, 2009, 08:29:05 PM »

Once GM I will be giving you all the information on your regional economic outlook at some point, hopefully in the first week or two. Until then you will have to guess.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #863 on: August 21, 2009, 06:55:06 PM »

I'd like to see some real funding data,

lol, and do what with it?  Stare at it for a couple minutes?

perhaps an outline of this budget and where funds will be allocated from.

An interesting view given that you proposed a bill to fund research into medicine for bees.  (Notably, without determining how much funding this research would receive.)

Funds, of course, will be allocated from tax revenue, like any other spending proposal.

I'd like to see funding put into how to actually stop AIDS and prevent it in the first place.

I know the answer is simple, but that doesn't stop Africa. And now all their kids will possibly carry it too
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #864 on: August 26, 2009, 05:29:27 PM »
« Edited: September 05, 2009, 12:12:43 AM by Senator Marokai Blue »

I'm reintroducing this with some changes taken into account from my discussion with Hamilton, and since we finally have our Governor. Smiley

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #865 on: August 26, 2009, 07:55:50 PM »

remove item 3 and i will support
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #866 on: August 26, 2009, 07:59:19 PM »

I see no reason to ban a sales tax on books. You get to the point to where you may as well suggest banning sales taxes on everything, because there's nothing special about books that require protection, unlike something like food, or something that is disproportionately consumed by poor people, such as cigarettes or alcohol. A sales tax on books is not particularly regressive or harmful, and is a constant and broad source or income, as opposed to a targeted income tax hike.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #867 on: August 26, 2009, 08:34:47 PM »

I see no reason to ban a sales tax on books. You get to the point to where you may as well suggest banning sales taxes on everything, because there's nothing special about books that require protection, unlike something like food, or something that is disproportionately consumed by poor people, such as cigarettes or alcohol. A sales tax on books is not particularly regressive or harmful, and is a constant and broad source or income, as opposed to a targeted income tax hike.

We should do our best to make books more accessible to all ages and incomes. I don't actually think there is a necessity to remove the ban. Taxes on cigarettes I find helpful to the poor in that they discourage consumption, therefore an incentive for quitting, which allows them to spend their income on something else, and for health, as cigarette's are clearly not very healthy. I don't think removing the tax really brings in enough additional revenue to make a positive impact but I'm open to other's suggestions and arguments.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #868 on: August 26, 2009, 08:58:04 PM »

Ugh, I have to start reading this thread now.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #869 on: August 26, 2009, 08:58:42 PM »

Ugh, I have to start reading this thread now.

Hi Governor. Tongue
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #870 on: August 26, 2009, 10:49:37 PM »

I will oppose any repeal of the ban of sales taxes on books.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #871 on: August 26, 2009, 11:26:43 PM »

We should do our best to make books more accessible to all ages and incomes. I don't actually think there is a necessity to remove the ban. Taxes on cigarettes I find helpful to the poor in that they discourage consumption, therefore an incentive for quitting, which allows them to spend their income on something else, and for health, as cigarette's are clearly not very healthy. I don't think removing the tax really brings in enough additional revenue to make a positive impact but I'm open to other's suggestions and arguments.

Tobacco taxes are pretty much counting on continued consumption of cigarettes to provide income. They are punishing people for an uncontrollable addiction. Sin taxes are generally not backed up much by the idea that they reduce consumption. What would do much better at that is regulating marketing activities, creating tighter restrictions on companies, etc.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #872 on: August 26, 2009, 11:29:55 PM »

Tobacco taxes are pretty much counting on continued consumption of cigarettes to provide income. They are punishing people for an uncontrollable addiction. Sin taxes are generally not backed up much by the idea that they reduce consumption. What would do much better at that is regulating marketing activities, creating tighter restrictions on companies, etc.

To be honest, it doesn't matter to me. It has short term benefits of increased revenue witht he long term aim of reduction. We have other means of revenues, excise taxes are a convenient way to kill two birds with one stone over time. Whether they are effective in reducing consumption could probably be debated, but the potential is worth it. Regardless, the clause of removing the book tax ban is not acceptable to me.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #873 on: August 27, 2009, 12:01:03 AM »

This is silly, books are like any other commodity, if you're going to ban sales taxes on books, take it the next step and abolish all sales taxes.

There's no reason books are more special than any other product.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #874 on: August 27, 2009, 12:04:19 AM »

This is silly, books are like any other commodity, if you're going to ban sales taxes on books, take it the next step and abolish all sales taxes.

There's no reason books are more special than any other product.

I don't mind banning sales taxes on all items. But I honestly believe that books are an item that don't deserve to be taxed, publications for that matter, reading is good. Magazines, newspapers, novels, etc. should be encouraged among our citizens.
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38 39 40 ... 73  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies