Pacific Legislature Official Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 09:31:58 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Pacific Legislature Official Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 ... 73
Author Topic: Pacific Legislature Official Thread  (Read 261344 times)
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #575 on: February 16, 2008, 12:34:20 AM »

The purpose isn't to help "prisons do their job," read the bill again to see what the real purpose is.

And this is no more "nanny statist" than putting criminals in prison in the first place.

Why not regulate what prisoners can eat in other areas too then?  How about banning them from having access to GM fruits and vegetables?

Prison is a necessary evil, as long as all inmates have a fair trial and a fair sentence.  Unnecessarily regulating their diet is fascist.

Sorry, but if Joe Convict wants to put chicken salt in his noodles, then I think that's one of the perks he ought to have unless he wants to go even more insane dawdling around in prison for ten years.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #576 on: February 16, 2008, 12:42:55 AM »

Why not regulate what prisoners can eat in other areas too then?  How about banning them from having access to GM fruits and vegetables?

If we find that they are indeed very environmentally damaging, then we can consider it. But that is still a much-debated issue from what I know, so I see no reason to do it now.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I don't think a less expensive diet for prisoners is fascist.

Lack of chicken salt does not cause insanity, as far as I know.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #577 on: February 16, 2008, 12:57:32 AM »

I don't think a less expensive diet for prisoners is fascist.

If your argument is that prison is a violation of rights in the first place, so it's okay to deprive inmates of meat, why are you arguing in favor of cutting the money we spend on them?

Frankly, the savings made from this will be so inconsequential that I have to wonder whether your own personal vegetarianism is the main rationale behind this legislation.

Lack of chicken salt does not cause insanity, as far as I know.

Stop being an idiot.

Being in prison every single day causes people to go nuts.  I think it's fair that they're allowed to eat things that normal people are able to enjoy everyday.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #578 on: February 16, 2008, 01:07:14 AM »

If your argument is that prison is a violation of rights in the first place, so it's okay to deprive inmates of meat, why are you arguing in favor of cutting the money we spend on them?

That is not my argument. I simply do not see why this is any "worse" than putting them in prison in the first place.

I suppose my personal beliefs in fiscal and environmental responsibility are affecting my rationale, but then again can you honestly say that none of your legislation has anything to do with your beliefs?

This part doesn't even deserve a response.
CultureKing
United States

« Reply #579 on: February 16, 2008, 02:32:40 AM »

I would like to add that the disrespect for individual rights in the first bill is astounding even if we are talking about prison imates, it still doesn't change the fact that they are HUMAN. I shutter to think of what would happen to this great region if more authoritarian bills such as this were to be enacted.

The prisons already pick and choose what food their inmates eat. How is this anymore authoritarian than putting them in prison in the first place? And how is this inhuman!?

I never realized how illogical you were.

And naming something after someone is resembles a cult? Does our state name resemble a cult? Or most of our county names? Or Seattle?

Most of our county names come from great leaders of the nation, Grant (president), Lewis and Clark (the explorers). I just would rather wait 50-100 years to name such a large feature after a person, this helps to let us have a more distanced view on things.

And some of this is not about logic, you still have not explained to me how it is worth it to strictly limit a population's diet against their will (we all know it would be) simply to same a small amount of money. Just let the inmates have their meat it is not that big of a deal.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #580 on: February 16, 2008, 02:38:17 AM »
« Edited: February 16, 2008, 02:40:18 AM by bgwah »

I would like to add that the disrespect for individual rights in the first bill is astounding even if we are talking about prison imates, it still doesn't change the fact that they are HUMAN. I shutter to think of what would happen to this great region if more authoritarian bills such as this were to be enacted.

The prisons already pick and choose what food their inmates eat. How is this anymore authoritarian than putting them in prison in the first place? And how is this inhuman!?

I never realized how illogical you were.

And naming something after someone is resembles a cult? Does our state name resemble a cult? Or most of our county names? Or Seattle?

Most of our county names come from great leaders of the nation, Grant (president), Lewis and Clark (the explorers). I just would rather wait 50-100 years to name such a large feature after a person, this helps to let us have a more distanced view on things.

And some of this is not about logic, you still have not explained to me how it is worth it to strictly limit a population's diet against their will (we all know it would be) simply to same a small amount of money. Just let the inmates have their meat it is not that big of a deal.

The food available to them is already picked by the prison. Many aspects of their prison lives are "against their will," so I'm not sure what you're getting at.

I don't think any money should be wasted. Every cent of taxpayer money saved is worth it. I also see no compelling reason for the government to provide such an environmentally exhausting food source to these prisoners.

I'm actually kind of glad this bill has turned out to be so controversial! This is the best debating we've had going on in the legislature in over a year. Let's keep it up. Cheesy

BTW, you guys should propose some legislation for fun. Smiley
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #581 on: February 19, 2008, 01:44:34 PM »

Prison Diet Bill:  Aye
Rocky Dennis Memorial Bill:  Aye
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #582 on: February 22, 2008, 09:35:21 PM »

The Prison Diet Bill passes 3-2.

X Governor Bgwah

The Rocky Dennis Memorial Bill passes 4-1.

X Governor Bgwah
CultureKing
United States

« Reply #583 on: February 22, 2008, 10:38:40 PM »
« Edited: February 22, 2008, 10:40:22 PM by CultureKing »

The Prison Diet Bill passes 3-2.

X Governor Bgwah

The Rocky Dennis Memorial Bill passes 4-1.

X Governor Bgwah

didn't Friz vote? I could have sworn that I saw a post with him voting.... 
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #584 on: March 07, 2008, 07:43:57 PM »

Gasoline Consumer Protection Act

1. All prices for gasoline displayed at gas stations must be rounded up to the nearest cent.
2. If a station is found noncompliant, the company operating the station shall be fined 10% of the earnings at that station during the period of noncompliance.
CultureKing
United States

« Reply #585 on: March 07, 2008, 11:49:36 PM »

1. All prices for gasoline displayed at gas stations must be rounded up to the nearest cent.
2. If a station is found noncompliant, the company operating the station shall be fined 10% of the earnings at that station during the period of noncompliance.

I approve this law, personally I hate seeing the $3.49.99 at gas stations, why can't they just say $3.50?
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #586 on: March 09, 2008, 03:11:25 AM »

Great, a bill that makes gas more expensive Wink
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #587 on: March 11, 2008, 04:55:59 AM »

Regional Motto Bill
1) The regional motto of the Pacific will be "In Rocky we trust" upon the passing of this legislation.
X Governor Bgwah

Rocky Dennis Memorial Bill, Part II
1) The face of the great Rocky Dennis shall be carved into Kings Peak, Utah.
2) This carving shall be 31 meters high.
3) This project shall be paid for by the money saved from the Prison Diet Bill.
4) Kings Peak shall be henceforth known as Mount Rockymore.
5) Carving shall begin immediately upon the passing of this bill.
X Governor Bgwah

Resolution concerning human colonization of outer space
1) The people of the Pacific Region demand that the first planet to be permanently colonized by human settlers be named after Rocky Dennis.
X Governor Bgwah

Renaming of Interstate 5 Bill
1) Interstate 5 shall now be known by the Pacific Government as Rocky Road.
X Governor Bgwah

Resolution concerning the Midwestern dictatorship
1) The people of the Pacific Region hereby condemn Midwestern Governor ilikeverin for his undemocratic dictatorship, demand that he resigns, and demand that the Midwest Regional constitution be amended so that it is more democratic.
X Governor Bgwah

Smoking Rights Amendment
1) The right of owners of private establishments, such as but not limited to restaurants and bars, to determine whether or not their establishments allow the smoking of tobacco by those of legal age shall not be infringed upon.
X Governor Bgwah

OKAY SURE WE CAN VOTE ON THIS SOON
X Governor Bgwah

Voting on all of the above will open sometime later this week.
CultureKing
United States

« Reply #588 on: March 11, 2008, 10:30:09 PM »

Smoking Rights Amendment
1) The right of owners of private establishments, such as but not limited to restaurants and bars, to determine whether or not their establishments allow the smoking of tobacco by those of legal age shall not be infringed upon.
X Governor Bgwah

hmmm... while I oppose this bill I think there are some amendments that could be added to make it better if it did indeed pass. Possibilities:
-An amendment that calls for all private establishments that do allow the smoking of tobacco to provide a non-smoking area for patrons who prefer a smoke-free environment.
-An amendment that adds funds to education programs that stress the health risks of smoking.
-An amendment that invests funds in programs that help smokers quit (the funding could easily come from the money saved from medical expenses that smokers would have otherwise used).

1) The people of the Pacific Region demand that the first planet to be permanently colonized by human settlers be named after Rocky Dennis.
X Governor Bgwah

Could we also add on there anything about the planet being a functioning part of the Pacific Region (as well as possibly being settled by Pacificans?)

Also with the regional motto: "In Rocky we trust" are we free to interpret this to mean any rocky? For example Rocky Balboa:
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #589 on: March 11, 2008, 10:52:08 PM »

Smoking Rights Amendment
X Governor Bgwah

hmmm... while I oppose this bill I think there are some amendments that could be added to make it better if it did indeed pass. Possibilities:
-An amendment that calls for all private establishments that do allow the smoking of tobacco to provide a non-smoking area for patrons who prefer a smoke-free environment.
-An amendment that adds funds to education programs that stress the health risks of smoking.
-An amendment that invests funds in programs that help smokers quit (the funding could easily come from the money saved from medical expenses that smokers would have otherwise used).

No thx Smiley

I'm afraid that may be unreasonable---who knows what will be of our fine region in the future in the first place. We just need to make sure Rocky gets the honor he deserves by having an important planet named after him.

Certainly!
CultureKing
United States

« Reply #590 on: March 11, 2008, 11:05:00 PM »

Smoking Rights Amendment
X Governor Bgwah

No thx Smiley

I'm afraid that may be unreasonable---who knows what will be of our fine region in the future in the first place. We just need to make sure Rocky gets the honor he deserves by having an important planet named after him.

Certainly!

hmm... Well could we include funding to build an intergalictic transporter or star ship in order to ensure that the Pacific is the first region to discover a habitable planet?
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #591 on: March 12, 2008, 05:05:19 AM »

VOTING IS OPEN ON THE FOLLOWING!! Please vote aye or nay. Voting ends in one week.

Regional Motto Bill
1) The regional motto of the Pacific will be "In Rocky we trust" upon the passing of this legislation.

Rocky Dennis Memorial Bill, Part II
1) The face of the great Rocky Dennis shall be carved into Kings Peak, Utah.
2) This carving shall be 31 meters high.
3) This project shall be paid for by the money saved from the Prison Diet Bill.
4) Kings Peak shall be henceforth known as Mount Rockymore.
5) Carving shall begin immediately upon the passing of this bill.

Renaming of Interstate 5 Bill
1) Interstate 5 shall now be known by the Pacific Government as Rocky Road.

Resolution concerning the Midwestern dictatorship
1) The people of the Pacific Region hereby condemn Midwestern Governor ilikeverin for his undemocratic dictatorship, demand that he resigns, and demand that the Midwest Regional constitution be amended so that it is more democratic.

Smoking Rights Amendment
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #592 on: March 12, 2008, 05:35:27 PM »

Gasoline Consumer Protection Act: Aye

Regional Motto Bill: Nay

Rocky Dennis Memorial Bill, Part II: Aye

Resolution concerning human colonization of outer space: Aye

Renaming of Interstate 5 Bill: Nay, since it's the worst freeway in the region. We need a better freeway, more befitting of him.

Resolution concerning the Midwestern dictatorship: Nay

Smoking Rights Amendment: Aye
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #593 on: March 12, 2008, 06:39:39 PM »

Gasoline Consumer Protection Act:  Nay
Regional Motto Bill:  Aye
Rocky Dennis Memorial Bill, Part II:  Aye
Resolution concerning human colonization of outer space:  Aye
Renaming of Interstate 5 Bill:  Aye
Resolution concerning the Midwestern dictatorship:  Aye
Smoking Rights Amendment:  Aye
CultureKing
United States

« Reply #594 on: March 12, 2008, 10:18:45 PM »

Gasoline Consumer Protection Act:  Aye
Regional Motto Bill:  Aye
Rocky Dennis Memorial Bill, Part II:  Aye
Resolution concerning human colonization of outer space:  Aye
Renaming of Interstate 5 Bill:  Aye
Resolution concerning the Midwestern dictatorship:  Aye
Smoking Rights Amendment:  Nay (think of the children!  Wink   )
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #595 on: March 16, 2008, 01:52:40 AM »
« Edited: March 16, 2008, 01:55:45 AM by Alcon »

aye infinity

(limited to these votes only.  the ayes have to end.)

Except the gas bill.  That's a nay.  They have ended.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #596 on: March 16, 2008, 01:57:16 AM »

Gasoline Consumer Protection Act - Nay

Regional Motto Bill - Aye

Rocky Dennis Memorial Bill, Part II - Aye

Resolution concerning human colonization of outer space - Aye

Renaming of Interstate 5 Bill - Aye

Resolution concerning the Midwestern dictatorship - Aye

Smoking Rights Amendment - Aye
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #597 on: March 19, 2008, 09:34:55 AM »

The Gasoline Consumer Protection Act has failed 2-3.

The Regional Motto Bill has passed 4-1.
X Governor Bgwah

The Rocky Dennis Memorial Bill, Part II has passed 5-0.
X Governor Bgwah

The Resolution concerning human colonization of outer space has passed 5-0.
X Governor Bgwah

The Renaming of Interstate 5 Bill has passed 4-1.
X Governor Bgwah

The Resolution concerning the Midwestern dictatorship has passed 4-1.
X Governor Bgwah

The Smoking Rights Amendment has passed 4-1.
X Governor Bgwah
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #598 on: April 03, 2008, 11:01:58 PM »
« Edited: April 07, 2008, 06:44:20 PM by Ebowed »

Infant Abandonment Bill

1. Any woman who gives birth may abandon the infant to medical personnel, or to a police station or fire station, without financial or legal penalty up to four weeks after birth.

Mothers' Rights Bill

1. No local law may be enacted to restrict the right of a mother to breastfeed her infant in public.
2. No public establishment may discriminate on the basis of public breastfeeding.
CultureKing
United States

« Reply #599 on: April 03, 2008, 11:16:36 PM »

Infant Abandonment Bill

1. Any woman who gives birth may abandon the infant to medical personnel without financial or legal penalty up to one week after birth, or when she leaves the hospital as a result of the pregnancy, whichever occurs later.

Mothers' Rights Bill

1. No local law may be enacted to restrict the right of a mother to breastfeed her infant in public.
2. No public establishment may discriminate on the basis of public breastfeeding.

These both sound good to me, though isn't there already a law much luch the abandonment bill?
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 ... 73  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies