AZ-SEN 2018: Sinema Paradiso
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 10:23:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  AZ-SEN 2018: Sinema Paradiso
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 38 39 40 [41] 42 43 44 45
Author Topic: AZ-SEN 2018: Sinema Paradiso  (Read 104499 times)
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1000 on: November 13, 2018, 04:24:11 PM »

I know because I was supposed to marry a bisexual pantsuit wearer once.

The bisexual pantsuit wearers I know are mostly Catholics with almost the exact opposite of Sinema's politics, but I know my experiences are not representative.
It might be the difference between Rocky Mountain Democrats and New England Democrats.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1001 on: November 13, 2018, 04:30:03 PM »

The bisexual pantsuit wearers I know are mostly Catholics with almost the exact opposite of Sinema's politics, but I know my experiences are not representative.
It might be the difference between Rocky Mountain Democrats and New England Democrats.

I'd say it's likelier to be the difference between Catholic bisexuals and non-Catholic bisexuals.
Peanut
Costa Rica

« Reply #1002 on: November 13, 2018, 04:34:26 PM »

Sinema will probably (I hope) Gillibrandize in the Senate.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1003 on: November 13, 2018, 05:57:20 PM »

I'd say it's likelier to be the difference between Catholic bisexuals and non-Catholic bisexuals.

My ex considered herself catholic.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #1004 on: November 13, 2018, 06:52:52 PM »

Sinema literally invoked John McCain in her victory speech. She’s going to be Hot Joe Manchin.
You do know McCain is insanely popular here right now? Even Democrats invoke his memory a lot.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1005 on: November 13, 2018, 06:59:54 PM »
« Edited: November 13, 2018, 07:11:57 PM by Trounce-'em Theresa »

Then, yeah, maybe it's an East Coast thing. (Or a degree-of-devoutness thing, but I don't want to make assumptions about your ex.)

Anyway, to get back on topic, does anybody really expect Sinema to do the Gillibrand Pivot as a white woman representing Arizona? Her current political persona seems pretty close to my understanding of what the Anglo segments of the Democratic coalition there want and will continue to vote for. Maybe if Gallego or somebody follows her into the Senate then we'll see a more progressive posture from them.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #1006 on: November 13, 2018, 07:00:03 PM »

-2 in the Senate, assuming Scott holds on. Not bad, considering the map.

Yeah, it's really not bad at all. The handwringing was somewhat understandable when it looked like we'd lose AZ/MT.

It's nice to see the narrative shift back towards Blue Wave. Regardless of what Fox says, that was a bad night for the Rs and they could've done better in the Senate.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1007 on: November 13, 2018, 07:17:05 PM »

-2 in the Senate, assuming Scott holds on. Not bad, considering the map.

Yeah, it's really not bad at all. The handwringing was somewhat understandable when it looked like we'd lose AZ/MT.

It's nice to see the narrative shift back towards Blue Wave. Regardless of what Fox says, that was a bad night for the Rs and they could've done better in the Senate.

They did slightly better than they were expected of outside of the House and slightly worse in the House. I expect Ds to eventually get 40 seats or close.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1008 on: November 13, 2018, 07:19:15 PM »

Sinema’s not representing New York Tongue
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1009 on: November 13, 2018, 07:24:08 PM »

Sinema’s not representing New York Tongue
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #1010 on: November 13, 2018, 07:24:38 PM »

This. Although Arizona will probably be bluer by the time she runs for reelection.
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1011 on: November 13, 2018, 07:27:03 PM »

This. Although Arizona will probably be bluer by the time she runs for reelection.
That may be true, but Arizona has always been known for its moderate, independent political environment.  Sinema was elected with the expectation that she'd continue in that tradition.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #1012 on: November 13, 2018, 07:32:33 PM »

That may be true, but Arizona has always been known for its moderate, independent political environment.  Sinema was elected with the expectation that she'd continue in that tradition.

Hopefully she does. Her addition to the Senate might help to somewhat counterbalance the loss of Heitkamp, McCaskill, and Donnelly.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1013 on: November 13, 2018, 07:34:03 PM »

Her addition to the Senate might help to somewhat counterbalance the loss of Heitkamp, McCaskill, and Donnelly.

It really won't. Not all moderates Smiley Smiley Smiley are cut from the same cloth.
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1014 on: November 13, 2018, 07:34:48 PM »

Hopefully she does. Her addition to the Senate might help to somewhat counterbalance the loss of Heitkamp, McCaskill, and Donnelly.
Agreed.  I'm still bummed about Donnelly, but I've come to accept that his loss was mostly his own doing, especially as the late ballots show his margin of defeat narrowing.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #1015 on: November 13, 2018, 07:41:17 PM »

Agreed.  I'm still bummed about Donnelly, but I've come to accept that his loss was mostly his own doing, especially as the late ballots show his margin of defeat narrowing.

Donnelly should have focused more on the suburbs of Indianapolis than he did, and he shouldn't have run his "pro-wall" ad campaign. That probably helped to depress turnout among Democratic voters throughout the state. Hopefully, as the final results are tabulated in Arizona though, Sinema clears the 50% mark.

Her addition to the Senate might help to somewhat counterbalance the loss of Heitkamp, McCaskill, and Donnelly.

It really won't. Not all moderates Smiley Smiley Smiley are cut from the same cloth.

I'm not sure how you can say that, given that Sinema has one of the most conservative voting records of any House Democrat, and has carefully positioned herself as a moderate centrist over the past two years. I would argue that is a major part of the reason she won. She was able to appeal to independent and lean Republican voters in the Phoenix metropolitan area.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1016 on: November 13, 2018, 07:46:14 PM »

I'm not sure how you can say that, given that Sinema has one of the most conservative voting records of any House Democrat, and has carefully positioned herself as a moderate centrist over the past two years. I would argue that is a major part of the reason she won. She was able to appeal to independent and lean Republican voters in the Phoenix metropolitan area.

Do I really need to spell this out? Donnelly (less so McCaskill and Heitkamp, but definitely Donnelly) was moderate in that he had a center-right image on muh social issues while being relatively reliably pro-worker. Sinema is moderate in that she's a reliable social liberal who's centrist to center-right on "bread and butter" issues. Not all moderate Democrats are considered moderate for the same reasons, and replacing one type of moderate Democrat with another doesn't necessarily keep the same ideological balance within the caucus.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1017 on: November 13, 2018, 11:06:15 PM »

Then, yeah, maybe it's an East Coast thing. (Or a degree-of-devoutness thing, but I don't want to make assumptions about your ex.)

Anyway, to get back on topic, does anybody really expect Sinema to do the Gillibrand Pivot as a white woman representing Arizona? Her current political persona seems pretty close to my understanding of what the Anglo segments of the Democratic coalition there want and will continue to vote for. Maybe if Gallego or somebody follows her into the Senate then we'll see a more progressive posture from them.

Yeah. The only way I could see her moving to the left is if she's angling for a Presidential run down the line (which I wouldn't put past her, but that won't be relevant before 2022 or so).
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #1018 on: November 14, 2018, 12:04:54 AM »

Do I really need to spell this out? Donnelly (less so McCaskill and Heitkamp, but definitely Donnelly) was moderate in that he had a center-right image on muh social issues while being relatively reliably pro-worker. Sinema is moderate in that she's a reliable social liberal who's centrist to center-right on "bread and butter" issues. Not all moderate Democrats are considered moderate for the same reasons, and replacing one type of moderate Democrat with another doesn't necessarily keep the same ideological balance within the caucus.

There is no need for you to get hostile like that. I don't take too kindly to people who engage in such antics. Of course, no two politicians are exactly the same. I am well aware of the ideological differences that exist within and between the parties.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1019 on: November 14, 2018, 12:27:36 PM »

Has it though?  I mean, McCain, Kyl, McSally, and Flake were all pretty right-wing with all but McCain being decidedly partisan as well, the House delegation has recently included the likes of Matt Salmon, Andy Biggs, Paul Gosar, David Schweikert, and Trent Franks.  Plus, the state has produced Jan Brewer, Joe Arpaio, Kelly Ward, etc.  Duecy isn’t a moderate by any stretch either.  If you really want to go back in time, the state produced Barry Goldwater.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1020 on: November 14, 2018, 12:32:09 PM »

That may be true, but Arizona has always been known for its moderate, independent political environment.  Sinema was elected with the expectation that she'd continue in that tradition.

Has it though?  I mean, McCain, Kyl, McSally, and Flake were all pretty right-wing with all but McCain being decidedly partisan as well, the House delegation has recently included the likes of Matt Salmon, Andy Biggs, Paul Gosar, David Schweikert, and Trent Franks.  Plus, the state has produced Jan Brewer, Joe Arpaio, Kelly Ward, etc.  Duecy isn’t a moderate by any stretch either.  If you really want to go back in time, the state produced Barry Goldwater.

Yeah when I first libpaulian's post, I thought instantly of Goldwater. But he still has a point. Arizona, at least in the popular political imagination, has always been a state where the independent voice is stronger then elsewhere. But independents are not just moderates. There are a growing chunk of indies who are just as, or even more extreme then the two parties. Its how you get people like McCain legislating in the same state as people like Ward.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1021 on: November 14, 2018, 05:23:31 PM »
« Edited: November 14, 2018, 05:26:53 PM by Oryxslayer »

Oh BTW, MCSally finally got a favorable bucket lol

Young Conservative
youngconservative
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1022 on: November 14, 2018, 06:30:49 PM »

Ah yes, historically moderate Arizona. Like when they voted for Jan Brewer, Joe Arpaio and Jeff Flake with little problem
Arpaio lost, Flake had an independent streak, and Brewer left office with high unpopularity
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #1023 on: November 14, 2018, 06:32:40 PM »

Ah yes, historically moderate Arizona. Like when they voted for Jan Brewer, Joe Arpaio and Jeff Flake with little problem
Arpaio lost, Flake had an independent streak, and Brewer left office with high unpopularity

It doesn't count as an "independent streak" when the only thing independent about you is your yapping mouth.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #1024 on: November 14, 2018, 06:39:49 PM »

LOL
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 38 39 40 [41] 42 43 44 45  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies