Why did Bush-Cheney '04 do so well in Missouri?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 06:52:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Why did Bush-Cheney '04 do so well in Missouri?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why did Bush-Cheney '04 do so well in Missouri?  (Read 1164 times)
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 03, 2018, 10:39:08 PM »

I always thought that John Kerry would win MO, the John Edwards pick at the time was to appeal to Midwestern and Southern voters, and Kerry had a good image of a war veteran that could appeal to some Missourians. Why did Bush-Cheney '04 do so well in MO?

http://p2004.org/states/bushmovisits04.html

http://p2004.org/states/kerrymovisits04.html
Burke859
Rookie
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2018, 01:54:52 AM »

Dems just weren't going to beat Bush anywhere that was culturally Southern.  I know Missouri isn't really the South, but you know what I mean.  Bush cleverly did a really good job of baiting the Democrats during the Bush years into making fun of Bush's Southern mannerisms on a regular basis, and implying that his way of speaking and Texas swagger were indicators that he wasn't very bright.  This created a sort of tribalism among the entire bloc of Southern and border states that prevented both Gore from carrying Tennessee and Kerry from carrying North Carolina (Edwards' home state) or states like Missouri that might otherwise be friendly to the Dems.

Bush is an extremely underrated politician and remains the only Republican in 30 years to have won two terms as president.  His combination of self-awareness, comfort with his own shortcomings, and street smarts allowed him to accomplish what most others could not.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2018, 12:02:40 PM »

From looking at the county swings from 2000 to 2004, it looks to be a significant number of suburban voters moving from Gore to Bush and rural margins increasing for Bush.  On the second point, I think people underrate how many Yellow Dog Southern Democrats in rural areas died between 1992 and 2008.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies