WV-03 - Does Ojeda (D) have a chance?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 03:16:15 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  WV-03 - Does Ojeda (D) have a chance?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: WV-03 - Does Ojeda (D) have a chance?  (Read 1518 times)
LimoLiberal
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.71, S: -4.00

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 02, 2018, 03:43:06 AM »

He seems like a pretty dynamic guy. And the seat's open, and in the most traditionally Democratic part of the state. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Virginia%27s_3rd_congressional_district

Active twitter: https://twitter.com/Ojeda4congress?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor

Incredible story and video: http://voteojeda.com/

I don't have the official stats, but I'm positive that Justice won it easily in 2016 and Manchin won it as well in both of his senate runs. Kerry and Gore probably came reasonably close in their presidential runs, as well. Of course, Trump won it by like 60 points. But it is still a traditionally Democratic area.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2018, 04:48:19 AM »

Beat You to it.

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=273016.25
McGovernForPrez

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2018, 04:59:41 AM »

Yeah he absolutely stands a chance. Ojeda won his state senate race in a seat that Trump simultaneously won by 60 points. Ojeda is fascinating because he manages to tie liberal issues into a strong cultural appeal to the people of southern West Virginia.He's a great fit for the district and so far all of the Republican candidates are terrible. The dude primaried Nick Rahall in 2014 and managed to get 34% of the vote, even winning his home county of Logan by 20 points.  The guy is seriously no featherweight. In fact even if the climate weren't so overwhelmingly favorable to Democrats in 2018 I still think he'd have a solid chance. I have this race currently as a tossup. The only thing making me worried is if Joe Manchin's wing of the WV Dems manages to meddle in the race. Manchin and Ojeda are on openly bad terms, and Ojeda has a primary opponent from that wing in the form of Huntington Mayor Steve Williams. Hopefully Ojeda won't be dragged down in a messy primary with him but it's entirely possible.
LimoLiberal
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.71, S: -4.00

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2018, 05:02:59 AM »

Lol same title phrasing and all.
Cactus Jack
azcactus
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2018, 05:12:06 AM »

I'm amazed to see a legitimately sensible thread out of you, Limo. Tongue

In any case, Ojeda stands more than a slim chance, by my estimation. As McGovern said above, he blends firebrand left-wing issues into Appalachian culture perfectly - firmly standing by the safety net, framing himself as being pro-life instead of "just pro-birth" like Republicans, making a huge deal out of the opioid crisis, etc. That he's a veteran with a history of winning races that ought to have been stacked massively against him certainly doesn't hurt, either.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2018, 05:13:04 AM »

Yeah he absolutely stands a chance. Ojeda won his state senate race in a seat that Trump simultaneously won by 60 points. Ojeda is fascinating because he manages to tie liberal issues into a strong cultural appeal to the people of southern West Virginia.He's a great fit for the district and so far all of the Republican candidates are terrible. The dude primaried Nick Rahall in 2014 and managed to get 34% of the vote, even winning his home county of Logan by 20 points.  The guy is seriously no featherweight. In fact even if the climate weren't so overwhelmingly favorable to Democrats in 2018 I still think he'd have a solid chance. I have this race currently as a tossup. The only thing making me worried is if Joe Manchin's wing of the WV Dems manages to meddle in the race. Manchin and Ojeda are on openly bad terms, and Ojeda has a primary opponent from that wing in the form of Huntington Mayor Steve Williams. Hopefully Ojeda won't be dragged down in a messy primary with him but it's entirely possible.

Why are they on bad terms? I'd say this is about Lean R right now.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2018, 05:17:58 AM »

People say he is decent about responses and gave his personal number out. You guys think we could try to get him to do a Q&A on here?
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2018, 09:47:18 AM »

Only because it is an open seat - open seats swing more violently with the national mood than even traditional battleground seats.

As many others here have noted, he is running against a poor list of Republicans in a seat that Manchin at the top of the ticket should be winning by a substantial margin - even if he is destined to go down in defeat. I rate Likely R right now, but it is one that will move rapidly no doubt following the primary.
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2018, 01:14:04 PM »

People say he is decent about responses and gave his personal number out. You guys think we could try to get him to do a Q&A on here?
lmao, this ain't his crowd. at best he goes on AMA on reddit
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -7.30

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2018, 04:14:37 PM »

He doesn't even seem favored in his primary, despite being a very good recruit. His fundraising is piss poor. IDK why Moulton isn't flooding him with cash.
DemocraticKing
Rookie

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2018, 12:22:20 PM »

He doesn't even seem favored in his primary, despite being a very good recruit. His fundraising is piss poor. IDK why Moulton isn't flooding him with cash.

I don't think he had a lot of time before his first filing deadline. Once this quarter (ended on new years) get's posted we can see how he is doing.
King Lear
Russian Federation

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2018, 05:35:44 PM »

This is one of the safest Republican districts in America, any money Democrats spend on this district is money thrown down the drain that could be spent on the 7 Clinton-Republican districts in California that are all critical in any pathway to a Democratic House majority.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2018, 06:55:55 PM »

This is one of the safest Republican districts in America, any money Democrats spend on this district is money thrown down the drain that could be spent on the 7 Clinton-Republican districts in California that are all critical in any pathway to a Democratic House majority.

Also, the Democrats in the California districts probably aren't Trump voting DINOs, so that's a second bonus.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies