Republicans Only: Predict the Congressional Midterms with these Conditions
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 05:06:35 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Republicans Only: Predict the Congressional Midterms with these Conditions
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Republicans Only: Predict the Congressional Midterms with these Conditions  (Read 745 times)
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.84, S: -5.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 01, 2018, 08:40:22 AM »
« edited: January 01, 2018, 08:43:05 AM by Free Bird »

We're in the year of the midterms now, so I'd like Atlas Republicans to predict, with the variables I have come up with, how they will come out (Sorry Atlas Dems, Trump could cure cancer and you'd predict a D House takeover lol). I'm not including governors because those races are far too localized. Anyway, what happens if:

. Alexander-Murray, the infrastructure package, and the DACA deal (DACA in exchange for wall funding and an end to chain migration and the diversity lottery) all pass
. The RAISE Act does NOT pass nor is even brought up
. The tax cuts do as the GOP said, and most people in non-cosmopolitan states end up seeing significant tax simplification and reduction. This gives the GOP a yuge hammer to whack the Democrats with.
. GDP hits exactly 4% for the second quarter
. Messer is the Indiana nominee, Jenkins is West Virginia, Scott is Florida, and Heller and McSally fend off Tarkanian and Ward, respectively.
. The Mueller Investigation ends with Mueller clearing Trump or his inner circle of wrongdoing.
. Due to all this, Trump's approval average hovers around the high-mid 40s (46, 47, etc), with the odd one out occasionally putting him at 50 or 52, and so he goes on a warpath to campaign for Republicans in states and districts where he is particularly popular.

This may or may not be excessively rosie, but let's assume for the sake of discussion that these are the big events of 2018. How do the Congressional elections fare? I would guess about D+9 in the House, give or take a few. Not sure about the Senate. Could be anything from R+2 to D+2 to R+6. I'll settle and, for the sake of having a prediction, go with R+3.
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2018, 09:23:33 AM »

I think making electoral predictions in the scenario that Trump cures cancer are much more fascinating and probably more realistic, IMO.
LimoLiberal
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.71, S: -4.00

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2018, 10:33:35 AM »

This is very similar to what I think will actually happen. In this scenario, I believe the Democrats would gain 2 seats in the House and lose 7 seats in the Senate.
Keep cool-idge
Benjamin Harrison he is w
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2018, 01:00:12 PM »

+7-8 house seats but only a net of 5.
The dems would lose 5-7 senate seats.
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2018, 05:02:47 PM »

I think making electoral predictions in the scenario that Trump cures cancer are much more fascinating and probably more realistic, IMO.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2018, 05:30:12 PM »

. The tax cuts do as the GOP said, and most people in non-cosmopolitan states end up seeing significant tax simplification and reduction. This gives the GOP a yuge hammer to whack the Democrats with.
This is literally impossible. The tax cuts don't go into effect until after the midterms.
America's Sweetheart ❤/𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕭𝖔𝖔𝖙𝖞 𝖂𝖆𝖗𝖗𝖎𝖔𝖗
TexArkana
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2018, 05:57:43 PM »

Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2018, 06:17:21 PM »

This would be a dramatic turnaround from EVERYTHING we've seen so far,  like literally a complete transformation of both Trump and the Republican Party in Congress.   

Not to say "impossible" but it goes against any thread of common sense.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies