Forward? – A 2012 Election Game (Sign Up and Rules Thread)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 06:19:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  Forward? – A 2012 Election Game (Sign Up and Rules Thread)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36 37 ... 46
Author Topic: Forward? – A 2012 Election Game (Sign Up and Rules Thread)  (Read 33375 times)
Huey Long is a Republican
New Tennessean Politician
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #775 on: February 17, 2018, 07:29:46 PM »

I'm wondering how well I would've done in the early primaries had I not done the conspiracy stuff

You'd probably be helping me win South Carolina, tbh.

Vote Splitting between me and Biden?

I would also think about my chances in both Iowa and New Hampshire if I continued to Campaign on my ideas

Having two people split the ABC vote would be a massive boost, especially in a hostile contest.

You'd probably have done a respectable third in Iowa but found only minimal success in New Hampshire.

Honestly, the only states I would've possibly been in a good position to win in is Perhaps Tennessee, Kentucky, West Virginia, and maybe (just maybe) Colorado.
Bradenhart7
« Reply #776 on: February 17, 2018, 07:33:12 PM »

By any chance could Lincoln Chafee run as an extremely irrelevant candidate as a member of the "rent is too damn high party?"
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #777 on: February 17, 2018, 07:34:26 PM »

By any chance could Lincoln Chafee run as an extremely irrelevant candidate as a member of the "rent is too damn high party?"

I don't think that's even possible.

Join the 2016 Game. There, you might have a chance as a DEM
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #778 on: February 17, 2018, 07:37:47 PM »

Sorry, but no.

As a general rule I prefer to avoid unrealistic (or very obscure) candidates, celebrity candidates or candidates which are outside of the box (like Chafee for some reason running for that party), as they make it very hard to simulate things when I'm not from the US nor very well versed on popular culture or the more obscure political details.

If anything, this particular 2012 Game has already been a bit hard to simulate with so many candidates that came out of the blue to me, lol
adamevans
United States

« Reply #779 on: February 17, 2018, 08:41:40 PM »

Sorry, but no.

As a general rule I prefer to avoid unrealistic (or very obscure) candidates, celebrity candidates or candidates which are outside of the box (like Chafee for some reason running for that party), as they make it very hard to simulate things when I'm not from the US nor very well versed on popular culture or the more obscure political details.

If anything, this particular 2012 Game has already been a bit hard to simulate with so many candidates that came out of the blue to me, lol
Kentucky politicians have a record for making political comebacks after devastating losses (ex.: Steve Beshear)
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #780 on: February 17, 2018, 08:43:46 PM »

Sorry, but no.

Kentucky politicians have a record for making political comebacks after devastating losses (ex.: Steve Beshear)

I'm sorry, who? (Only Kentuckian Politicians I know is Ernie, McConnell and [Rand] Paul)
adamevans
United States

« Reply #781 on: February 17, 2018, 08:46:03 PM »

Sorry, but no.

I'm sorry, who? (Only Kentuckian Politicians I know is Ernie, McConnell and [Rand] Paul)
...he was a two term governor of Kentucky from 2008 to 2015
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #782 on: February 17, 2018, 08:47:33 PM »

Sorry, but no.

...he was a two term governor of Kentucky from 2008 to 2015

Ah. Well, he might be a good challenge to McConnell then in otl
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #783 on: February 17, 2018, 08:51:32 PM »

Sorry, but no.

Granted, and there is an interesting parallel with Rick Santorum there that makes Fletcher more or less plausible under certain circumstances (like this one, him being a social conservative in a field with several libertarians). On the other side, I don't think I've ever read of any speculation of him ever being a Presidential candidate save for a couple of mentions back when he was still somewhat popular.

(What I mean to say is, he's not exactly easy to simulate)
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #784 on: February 17, 2018, 08:54:01 PM »

Sorry, but no.

Granted, and there is an interesting parallel with Rick Santorum there that makes Fletcher more or less plausible under certain circumstances (like this one, him being a social conservative in a field with several libertarians). On the other side, I don't think I've ever read of any speculation of him ever being a Presidential candidate save for a couple of mentions back when he was still somewhat popular.

That's Understandable, though (as I've said before) someone like Bredesen was considered a strong Centrist Candidate for 2008 and likely would've won
adamevans
United States

« Reply #785 on: February 17, 2018, 09:12:30 PM »

Sorry, but no.

Can't really argue with that. The campaign in general was supposed to be a surprise. I also wanted to see how far I could go with him.
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #786 on: February 17, 2018, 09:13:55 PM »

Sorry, but no.

Can't really argue with that. The campaign in general was supposed to be a surprise. I also wanted to see how far I could go with him.

You could become either the Tim Tebow, Patton Manning, or Tom Brady of this game
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #787 on: February 18, 2018, 06:28:31 PM »

Tuesday night, ideally.
adamevans
United States

« Reply #788 on: February 18, 2018, 11:04:48 PM »

An announcement from Walter Jones

Friends,

You may have been wondering why you haven't seen me on the campaign trail in the past few days. A recent trip to the doctor has led me to discover that I have stage IV prostate cancer. With this development, I have had to rethink many things about my life. What it has caused me to realize is that I must fight this cancer with every ounce of energy in me. Unfortunately, this means that I can no longer have my first priority be politics. For this reason, I am hereby suspending my campaign for President.

I do not take this decision lightly. We have come so far in this campaign, from 2% to being a viable contender. I also must thank the passion of all of my supporters throughout this process, as well as the friends and family who have kept me strong along the way. I am forever indebted to all of you. Together, we highlighted the corruption of Washington, and we showed a better path for this nation: one of peace, prosperity, and the American way of life. This campaign may be over, but the spirit of the people has been ignited for years to come.

I also don't want my announcement to mean that I will stay quiet. I endorse my good friend Congressman Ron Paul for the Republican nomination. Serving in the House with Ron for many years, I know he is a man of profound integrity. He means what he says, and nobody can corrupt him. He is just the kind of leader we desperately need in the White House, and I encourage all of my supporters to stand with Congressman Paul in the primaries ahead.

The fight to take back this country isn't over. Once I finish my battle with cancer, I will return in full force to stand up to Washington. Thank you all for the support you've given me over the past year.

I figured this would happen eventually
Grassroots
Grassr00ts
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 2.09

P P P
« Reply #789 on: February 18, 2018, 11:11:50 PM »

Friends,

You may have been wondering why you haven't seen me on the campaign trail in the past few days. A recent trip to the doctor has led me to discover that I have stage IV prostate cancer. With this development, I have had to rethink many things about my life. What it has caused me to realize is that I must fight this cancer with every ounce of energy in me. Unfortunately, this means that I can no longer have my first priority be politics. For this reason, I am hereby suspending my campaign for President.

I do not take this decision lightly. We have come so far in this campaign, from 2% to being a viable contender. I also must thank the passion of all of my supporters throughout this process, as well as the friends and family who have kept me strong along the way. I am forever indebted to all of you. Together, we highlighted the corruption of Washington, and we showed a better path for this nation: one of peace, prosperity, and the American way of life. This campaign may be over, but the spirit of the people has been ignited for years to come.

I also don't want my announcement to mean that I will stay quiet. I endorse my good friend Congressman Ron Paul for the Republican nomination. Serving in the House with Ron for many years, I know he is a man of profound integrity. He means what he says, and nobody can corrupt him. He is just the kind of leader we desperately need in the White House, and I encourage all of my supporters to stand with Congressman Paul in the primaries ahead.

The fight to take back this country isn't over. Once I finish my battle with cancer, I will return in full force to stand up to Washington. Thank you all for the support you've given me over the past year.

If I were Jones, I would endorse Fletcher. This seems off.
Senator Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #790 on: February 18, 2018, 11:29:43 PM »

Friends,

It's really the most logical decision out there. Jones endorsed Paul in both of his campaigns and they've always been really close to each other in public.
adamevans
United States

« Reply #791 on: February 18, 2018, 11:41:12 PM »

Friends,

It's really the most logical decision out there. Jones endorsed Paul in both of his campaigns and they've always been really close to each other in public.
Yeah, I see why this would happen. The only reason I see Walter endorsing Fletcher is the fact he has a better shot at the nomination.
Jaguar4life
United States

« Reply #792 on: February 19, 2018, 07:54:56 AM »

Man why do I keep getting the cold shoulder when it comes to endorsements?
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #793 on: February 19, 2018, 08:11:26 AM »

Because you're Adam Carolla?
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #794 on: February 19, 2018, 08:18:03 AM »
« Edited: February 19, 2018, 08:20:02 AM by Blair »

It's also worth pointing out that most multi field primaries narrow out after Iowa and New Hampshire; I mean I can't think of any primary since what, 1992, where there were more than 2-3 obvious choices for the nominee.

Politicians are generally craven, and cowardly when it comes to endorsements; unless you're really good friends they're not going to endorse a no hoper.

Lumine has rejected probably about 5-10 of my endorsements, and I'm the front runner Tongue Makes the game more challenging
terp40hitch
United States

« Reply #795 on: February 19, 2018, 08:44:57 AM »

Donald Trump didn't get any big name endorsements in 2016 either because people like to stick with the establishment candidates
Jaguar4life
United States

« Reply #796 on: February 19, 2018, 09:31:45 AM »

Can I get a extension?
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #797 on: February 19, 2018, 09:51:16 AM »

It's also worth pointing out that most multi field primaries narrow out after Iowa and New Hampshire; I mean I can't think of any primary since what, 1992, where there were more than 2-3 obvious choices for the nominee.

Politicians are generally craven, and cowardly when it comes to endorsements; unless you're really good friends they're not going to endorse a no hoper.

Lumine has rejected probably about 5-10 of my endorsements, and I'm the front runner Tongue Makes the game more challenging

Oh, Lumine has rejected dozens, if not scores, of my endorsement requests.
OSR STANDS WITH PALESTINE
NOTTYLER
United States

« Reply #798 on: February 19, 2018, 10:16:08 AM »

I want to help out with this in some way
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #799 on: February 19, 2018, 10:31:57 AM »

Oh, Lumine has rejected dozens, if not scores, of my endorsement requests.

Indeed, I prefer being cautious when it comes to endorsements. I learned that lesson on the first election game I played, a 2008 Game hosted by Spamage (and a truly wonderful experience) in which too many endorsements were granted at the start and realism seemed to be broken for a moment.

One of the downsides to choosing little known candidates is that endorsements will be harder to grant, as there may be very few links with other politicians or little incentive for them to endorse (for example, sitting officeholders would find it hard to endorse General Clark because of their desire not to lose influence in their current parties).

And without meaning to sound harsh, I tend to get the impression players put too much focus on endorsements at times. They help, but a well made schedule or a set of speeches have a much bigger impact on the game.
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36 37 ... 46  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies