Maryland Dem Primary: Baker, Jealous, or Kamenetz?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 06:54:42 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Maryland Dem Primary: Baker, Jealous, or Kamenetz?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Maryland Dem Primary: Baker, Jealous, or Kamenetz?  (Read 2319 times)
History505
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 30, 2017, 02:51:11 PM »

Those 3 candidates seem the likeliest to be the Dem nominee for governor in Maryland. Who do you think will win the June primary?
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2017, 05:07:10 PM »

IMO Baker, since he already appears to be the strongest contender in the primary (as he brings the most political experience to the crowded, wide-open field) & to have the best advantage in a possible matchup against Hogan (again, the experience, not to mention the ability and intelligence, to make MD a better state).
PragmaticPopulist
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -5.57

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2017, 09:04:55 PM »

Baker. Combine his experience with having probably the most name recognition of the three. PG County is the second-largest county in the state.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2017, 02:00:21 AM »

Baker > Kamenetz > Jealous
America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2017, 12:33:24 PM »

I hope it is not Jealous, since he picked just about the worst Lt.-Gov candidate possible.
America's Sweetheart ❤/𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕭𝖔𝖔𝖙𝖞 𝖂𝖆𝖗𝖗𝖎𝖔𝖗
TexArkana
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2017, 12:38:33 PM »

heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2017, 01:00:17 PM »

I'm going with Big Time Rush. Great executive track record. MGM National Harbor a huge success. 3700 new jobs.

Kamenetz is too unknown, as is Jealous. The latter will even lose frequent WaPo commenters who hate Trump with a burning passion but not enough to raise their taxes in MD -- the kind of people that secretly put Hogan over the top last time around.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2017, 01:59:15 PM »

Baker is clearly the best choice
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2017, 06:48:41 PM »

As far as Maryland is concerned, if Rushern Baker were to win the Democratic primary, would he be the first African American nominated for Governor?  And if he wins the general election against Gov. Larry Hogan, would he be the first African American to be elected Governor?  
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2017, 07:37:03 PM »

As far as Maryland is concerned, if Rushern Baker were to win the Democratic primary, would he be the first African American nominated for Governor?  And if he wins the general election against Gov. Larry Hogan, would he be the first African American to be elected Governor?  

No & yes, respectively.

1. No, Baker (or Ben Jealous, too) will not be the first African American nominated for Governor of MD if he were to win the Democratic primary. In MD, that honor goes to former Lt. Gov. Anthony Brown, who became MD's first black nominee for Governor when he won the Democratic nomination for Governor in 2014, just 4 years ago.

2. MD has never elected a black Governor &, indeed, if either Baker or Jealous becomes Governor, then either will become just the 5th black governor (& only the 3rd ever elected) in U.S. history.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2018, 01:48:46 AM »

No & yes, respectively.

1. No, Baker (or Ben Jealous, too) will not be the first African American nominated for Governor of MD if he were to win the Democratic primary. In MD, that honor goes to former Lt. Gov. Anthony Brown, who became MD's first black nominee for Governor when he won the Democratic nomination for Governor in 2014, just 4 years ago.

2. MD has never elected a black Governor &, indeed, if either Baker or Jealous becomes Governor, then either will become just the 5th black governor (& only the 3rd ever elected) in U.S. history.

Thanks -I can't believe I forgot about Tony.  Tongue
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2018, 03:11:37 AM »

No & yes, respectively.

Despite Brown's historic candidacy he did nothing to boost black turnout, they turned out in greater numbers for O'Malley than him. So I'm skeptical Baker or Jealous can really make a difference, the Dem candidate will need to break through with whites in a major way.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2018, 03:36:15 AM »

No & yes, respectively.

Despite Brown's historic candidacy he did nothing to boost black turnout, they turned out in greater numbers for O'Malley than him. So I'm skeptical Baker or Jealous can really make a difference, the Dem candidate will need to break through with whites in a major way.

IMHO, two countertendencies exist in this race. Obviously, Democrats can't win on Black vote only, and need substantial white vote too. There are lots of white liberals in the state, and still - Democrats need moderates too. That's the first one. On the other hand, Hogan in 2014 has shown that moderate-to-pragmatic conservative Republican can win enough moderate votes too (or, at least, dampen Democratic showing among them, especially - against inept or too radical opponent). So, both sides will fight for votes in center and somewhat to the left of it (given general liberal leanings of Maryland). Those, who will be able to do it better - will win.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2018, 05:19:33 AM »

Strongly favor Baker, and I think he wins the primary, but loses to Hogan.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2018, 02:09:06 PM »

No & yes, respectively.

Np lol Smiley
Cold War Liberal
KennedyWannabe99
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.53

« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2018, 11:56:24 PM »

Baker is a kind, caring man with a great track record in PG county (anti-corruption, education, MGM, lower crime, etc.). I will vote for him in the primary. Will gladly vote for him in the general. I will definitely donate to his campaign and probably volunteer for it too. I am 100% pro-Baker.

I have lived here my entire life and was born in Baltimore and follow politics intensely and for fun but I have no idea who Kamenetz really is. I know he's a state senator and I'm like 70% sure he's gay but other than those two factoids I- wait I just Googled him and that's not even Kamenetz, that's Richard Maladeno. I have literally never heard of Kamenetz, and I live directly adjacent to Baltimore County and regularly visit various places within the County. I am by no means the be all end all of political candidate name recognition, and I do tend to pay a little more attention to national rather than state politics, but I don't think he'll win the primary based off the lack of name recognition alone. If he somehow does win the nomination, I'd be a swing voter.

I do not like Ben Jealous at all. I can't stand Sandernistas, not because of their policies but the general way they conduct themselves (tending to value ideological purity rather than getting real results), and will not vote for him in the primary and will actively vote, campaign, and argue against him should he win the Democratic nomination. I would be 100% pro-Hogan should he win the nomination.

Richard Maladeno is fine, if forgettable (see the section on Kamenetz above). I'd be a swing voter.

Alec Ross is kinda cool. I'm like 70% sure I'd vote for him over Hogan in a general.

Maya seems pretty cool too, though I admittedly don't know much about her. If, after some research, I continue to like her, I'm like 80% sure I'd vote for her over Hogan in a general.

Krishanti Vignarajah is interesting but I'm only like 70% sure I'd vote for her in a general because I like people with some real political experience (same issue I have with Ross).

Heather Mizeur is fine, I guess, if she runs and wins the nomination I'd probably vote for her over Hogan.

Joseline Peña-Melnyk is also fine.

Kenneth Ulman is blegh, if he runs and wins the nomination I'd be a swing voter.

Hogan is likeable. He works across the aisle (he inherently has to due to the state legislature's makeup) and seems to care about people and stuff. He is the only Republican I will even consider voting for in any election next year. I'm waiting for the Democratic nominee to be decided before deciding my own vote.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2018, 01:31:10 AM »

^ Thanks for detailed (not line or two)  info and analysis
Chief Justice Keef
etr906
United States

« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2018, 11:11:12 AM »

Ben Jealous, and people shouldn't whine about it when it happens.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2018, 11:18:36 AM »

Baker is a kind, caring man with a great track record in PG county (anti-corruption, education, MGM, lower crime, etc.). I will vote for him in the primary. Will gladly vote for him in the general. I will definitely donate to his campaign and probably volunteer for it too. I am 100% pro-Baker.

I have lived here my entire life and was born in Baltimore and follow politics intensely and for fun but I have no idea who Kamenetz really is. I know he's a state senator and I'm like 70% sure he's gay but other than those two factoids I- wait I just Googled him and that's not even Kamenetz, that's Richard Maladeno. I have literally never heard of Kamenetz, and I live directly adjacent to Baltimore County and regularly visit various places within the County. I am by no means the be all end all of political candidate name recognition, and I do tend to pay a little more attention to national rather than state politics, but I don't think he'll win the primary based off the lack of name recognition alone. If he somehow does win the nomination, I'd be a swing voter.

I do not like Ben Jealous at all. I can't stand Sandernistas, not because of their policies but the general way they conduct themselves (tending to value ideological purity rather than getting real results), and will not vote for him in the primary and will actively vote, campaign, and argue against him should he win the Democratic nomination. I would be 100% pro-Hogan should he win the nomination.

Richard Maladeno is fine, if forgettable (see the section on Kamenetz above). I'd be a swing voter.

Alec Ross is kinda cool. I'm like 70% sure I'd vote for him over Hogan in a general.

Maya seems pretty cool too, though I admittedly don't know much about her. If, after some research, I continue to like her, I'm like 80% sure I'd vote for her over Hogan in a general.

Krishanti Vignarajah is interesting but I'm only like 70% sure I'd vote for her in a general because I like people with some real political experience (same issue I have with Ross).

Heather Mizeur is fine, I guess, if she runs and wins the nomination I'd probably vote for her over Hogan.

Kenneth Ulman is blegh, if he runs and wins the nomination I'd be a swing voter.

Hogan is likeable. He works across the aisle (he inherently has to due to the state legislature's makeup) and seems to care about people and stuff. He is the only Republican I will even consider voting for in any election next year. I'm waiting for the Democratic nominee to be decided before deciding my own vote.

Would you say Baker is favored?
Former Kentuckian
Cal

« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2018, 01:18:21 PM »

It's hard for me to imagine Rushern Baker losing.
Cold War Liberal
KennedyWannabe99
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2018, 04:07:35 PM »
« Edited: January 02, 2018, 04:10:18 PM by JFK/LBJ '64 »

Would you say Baker is favored?
Probably, though I've been asking around and it seems that the only people paying attention right now are those who actually care a lot about state politics. This may be because I live in a Republican area, where people don't have to think too hard about the Democratic primary because they're Republicans who plan on voting for Hogan.

Right now, I'd say Baker or Jealous wins the primary. I'd rate MD-GOV a tossup with Baker and Lean R with Jealous.

Hogan has purposefully kept as far away from Trump as humanly possible for a Republican governor, which means that while he'll probably be affected by what I feel is the impending Blue Wave, the effect will not be as large as if he supported Trump, and might not be enough to topple him if the Democratic nominee is not good. For instance, I am a MD Democrat who abhors Trump but generally likes (if not always agrees with) Hogan. I am open to voting for my governor, but not the President, in their reelection bids.
PragmaticPopulist
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -5.57

« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2018, 08:23:58 PM »

I'm okay with certain Sanders-style candidates, but Jealous strikes me as a Sanders-ite who is mostly just rhetoric rather than getting things done. I'm not entirely sure right now what I would do if he wins the primary.
Cold War Liberal
KennedyWannabe99
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2018, 10:25:05 PM »

Isn't this quite literally the definition of "purity politics"?
No.

I'm okay with certain Sanders-style candidates, but Jealous strikes me as a Sanders-ite who is mostly just rhetoric rather than getting things done. I'm not entirely sure right now what I would do if he wins the primary.
This. He has no governing experience and thus no proven track record. By January of 2019, it will have been over 5 years since he last held any office of any kind; his most recent (and only) term in any kind of office was his term as President/CEO of the NAACP, which expired on 11/1/13.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2018, 10:54:14 PM »

NOTA.

In a state like Maryland, I feel like Maya Rockeymoore Cummings has the inside track because of who her husband is.
Jeppe
Bosse
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -4.00

« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2018, 11:19:26 PM »

NOTA.

In a state like Maryland, I feel like Maya Rockeymoore Cummings has the inside track because of who her husband is.

I feel like Cummings is Baker’s biggest threat, because she could draw away Baltimore’s black voters towards her in the primary.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies