PPP poll: Franken still popular, voters say he shouldn't have resigned
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 15, 2024, 10:53:46 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  PPP poll: Franken still popular, voters say he shouldn't have resigned
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: PPP poll: Franken still popular, voters say he shouldn't have resigned  (Read 6270 times)
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 28, 2017, 07:10:50 AM »

I guess Minnesotans aren't reading Atlas forum.

https://www.publicpolicypolling.com/polls/minnesotans-dont-think-franken-resign-franken-remains-popular-especially-women/

-50% of voters think he should not resign, to only 42% who think he should go through with his planned resignation

-Franken remains well above average in popularity for a Senator, with 53% of voters approving of the job he’s doing to 42% who disapprove.

-Minnesotans don’t like how the process with Franken’s resignation has played out. 60% think the Senate Ethics Committee should have completed its investigation (including 79% of Democrats and 61% of independents) before any decision was made about Franken’s future, while only 35% think he should resign immediately.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2017, 07:34:21 AM »

Well, may be a hysteria finally subsided.
Old Man Willow
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2017, 07:35:50 AM »

Too bad no MN polls were done before the other Senators were able to use him as a sacrificial lamb, maybe he'd have had something to fight with.
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2017, 08:07:03 AM »

Additionally, his approval among Clinton voters is 89/6 and on the resignation question it’s 19/74 among the same group. Those are the kind of numbers that might allow him to win a primary in 2020.

And speaking of primaries, I think it’s safe to say Gillibrand is not the favorite in the MN Primary as of right now. I’ll admit I scoffed at the idea that Democrats would be mad at her for this since it was pushed by resident concern trolls, but I think among a certain type of Democratic activist, the whole thing reeked of self-servitude.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2017, 09:39:12 AM »

Throw it in the trash.
Hydera

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2017, 10:21:26 AM »

Trump approval in Minnesota: 44

to the trash it goes
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2017, 11:11:15 AM »

Additionally, his approval among Clinton voters is 89/6 and on the resignation question it’s 19/74 among the same group. Those are the kind of numbers that might allow him to win a primary in 2020.

And speaking of primaries, I think it’s safe to say Gillibrand is not the favorite in the MN Primary as of right now. I’ll admit I scoffed at the idea that Democrats would be mad at her for this since it was pushed by resident concern trolls, but I think among a certain type of Democratic activist, the whole thing reeked of self-servitude.

I said that Gillibrand wasn’t going to be seen credible by many Democratic voters after her comments on Bill Clinton. Voters in both parties hate cynicism and naked opportunism and those comments reeked of it.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2017, 11:12:48 AM »

Resigning was the right thing to do regardless of polls.
mcmikk
thealmightypiplup

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2017, 11:46:40 AM »

I said that Gillibrand wasn’t going to be seen credible by many Democratic voters after her comments on Bill Clinton. Voters in both parties hate cynicism and naked opportunism and those comments reeked of it.
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2017, 11:48:20 AM »

I doubt the #MeToo movement will be a factor in the 2020 race. And I'd be inclined to think most Democrats want Bill Clinton to have little influence on the party at this point, so I don't see the problem in her comments - remember that not everyone follows politics 24/7 and may not know of Gillibrand's past support for the Clintons.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2017, 11:57:15 AM »

I doubt the #MeToo movement will be a factor in the 2020 race. And I'd be inclined to think most Democrats want Bill Clinton to have little influence on the party at this point, so I don't see the problem in her comments - remember that not everyone follows politics 24/7 and may not know of Gillibrand's past support for the Clintons.

This has nothing to do with the Clintons and everything to do with Gillibrand's character.
Her colleagues in the House had nicknamed her "Tracy Flick" and this incident reinforces that image. It's kind of hard to get people to help and support you when they know you will throw them under the bus in a minute for personal political gain.
💥💥 brandon bro (he/him/his)
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2017, 12:26:43 PM »

Klobuchar is going to win every county in Minnesota's 2020 primary by at least 15 points. Minnesotans are enamored with themselves and all things Minnesota so it never was, nor will it ever be, a question who wins Minnesota's primary if Klobuchar is running.
Minnesota Mike
YaBB God

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2017, 12:36:14 PM »

Klobuchar is going to win every county in Minnesota's 2020 primary by at least 15 points. Minnesotans are enamored with themselves and all things Minnesota so it never was, nor will it ever be, a question who wins Minnesota's primary if Klobuchar is running.

If Klobuchar is running an active campaign on MN Primary day she will win the state with Bernie Sanders/Vermont type numbers. Minnesotans can be extremely provincial(not one of our better qualities), being "one of us" really matters
💥💥 brandon bro (he/him/his)
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2017, 12:50:08 PM »

If Klobuchar is running an active campaign on MN Primary day she will win the state with Bernie Sanders/Vermont type numbers. Minnesotans can be extremely provincial(not one of our better qualities), being "one of us" really matters

You don't say...

Minnesota Mike
YaBB God

« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2017, 12:57:28 PM »

You don't say...

Exhibit 1 your Honor.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2017, 01:02:41 PM »

This has nothing to do with the Clintons and everything to do with Gillibrand's character.
Her colleagues in the House had nicknamed her "Tracy Flick" and this incident reinforces that image. It's kind of hard to get people to help and support you when they know you will throw them under the bus in a minute for personal political gain.

Exactly.

She was just campaigning with Clinton last year and then a year later she is suddenly "woke" when it comes to sexual harassment. It just deeply cynical and it doesn't sit right with me.
Cactus Jack
azcactus
United States

« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2017, 01:17:50 PM »

The voters are wrong. Not the first time masses and masses of Americans have been off-mark and out-to-lunch.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2017, 01:19:25 PM »

Gross. Voters are the worst.
Keep cool-idge
Benjamin Harrison he is w
United States

« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2017, 01:27:40 PM »

To be honest are you really surprised? Look the voters didn’t care about Bill Clinton-Donald trump-mark Sanford. But I honestly think the trump approval rating is correct since he got 44% in Minnesota last year.
UncleSam

« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2017, 01:37:07 PM »

If they employ a likely voter screen then 44% for Trump is within the realm of possibility

Keep in min that Republicans are more likely than Democrats to say Franken should resign so it's likely that support for Franken is being understated if anything by this poll.

Glad that people can't wait for an investigation to finish before demanding blood nowadays though. Zero respect for or appreciation of our legal system.
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2017, 01:39:56 PM »

To be honest are you really surprised? Look the voters didn’t care about Bill Clinton-Donald trump-mark Sanford. But I honestly think the trump approval rating is correct since he got 44% in Minnesota last year.

That does not make any sense. Anything can happen to one's approval in any state regardless of the percentage they got last election.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2017, 03:41:36 PM »

Resigning was the right thing to do regardless of polls.
America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2017, 05:27:50 PM »

Exactly.

She was just campaigning with Clinton last year and then a year later she is suddenly "woke" when it comes to sexual harassment. It just deeply cynical and it doesn't sit right with me.

Bill Clinton was the person who faced sexual harassment allegations. It was a different person who was running in 2016.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2017, 05:52:41 PM »

He should stay. I'm a firm believer of elected officials standing for their entire terms and not bending to public pressure to resign over something that comes out after the fact; an election is a mandate. Obviously the people of Minnesota will continue to re-elect him for as long as they want (and they seem to want him), but an open seat presents unique possibilities - even in a mid-term.

If the broader trends that showed up in 2016 in MN - and the ones we've been discussing for years wrt the Upper Midwest in general - even somewhat play out or intensify next year, Minnesota could fall in an open race and Democrats would have nobody to blame but themselves.

I'm sorry, but the ideological fate and political trajectory of the country is a hell of a lot more important than an instance or two of groping or whatever. People need to get it together.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2017, 05:57:29 PM »

He should stay. I'm a firm believer of elected officials standing for their entire terms and not bending to public pressure to resign over something that comes out after the fact; an election is a mandate. Obviously the people of Minnesota will continue to re-elect him for as long as they want (and they seem to want him), but an open seat presents unique possibilities - even in a mid-term.

If the broader trends that showed up in 2016 in MN - and the ones we've been discussing for years wrt the Upper Midwest in general - even somewhat play out or intensify next year, Minnesota could fall in an open race and Democrats would have nobody to blame but themselves.

I'm sorry, but the ideological fate and political trajectory of the country is a hell of a lot more important than an instance or two of groping or whatever. People need to get it together.

If Dems lost in Minnesota of all places, they'd have a lot to more to worry about than that seat. Like the fact that the GOP probably now has a supermajority in the Senate and Dems got few if any House gains.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies