Top Ancestry or Hispanic or Racial Subgroups for U.S. County Subs and Places
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 03:19:42 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Top Ancestry or Hispanic or Racial Subgroups for U.S. County Subs and Places
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Top Ancestry or Hispanic or Racial Subgroups for U.S. County Subs and Places  (Read 6707 times)
cinyc
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 20, 2017, 01:27:00 AM »

As I mentioned in the past few weeks, Census recently released their 2012-16 American Community Survey results. One of the tables that release contained is Reported Ancestries and Hispanic/Racial Subgroup information for Asians, American Indians, Alaska Natives and Pacific Islanders.

First, the CONUS map:

As you can see, German Ancestry predominates in most of the North except the Northeast. American is tops in much of the South outside of Florida and Southern Louisiana, and the Mexican Hispanic subgroup dominates much of the Southwest. One issue with Census' ancestry data is that African-Americans tend to check other ancestry instead of one of the Subsaharan African ancestries, which makes African-American predominant cities like New Orleans appear to be something else, (in New Orleans' case, German).

Next, Alaska:

Alaska Natives are not as monolithic as you'd think. German tends to dominate the big city areas, like in the Northern U.S.

And Hawaii:

The Japanese are the most prominent group in the Urban Honolulu and some neighboring CDPs and CCDs. Native Hawaiians dominate in Windward and Leeward Oahu, plus many of the Neighbor Islands, especially Molokai. You can tell where some of the military bases are on Oahu by looking to areas with German top ancestry.

cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2017, 01:32:32 AM »

I will be adding a some close-up maps of major metro areas/states over the next few days. This will also likely go up interactively on Carto at some point.

First, the NYC Metro:

Italian is the top ancestry on Staten Island and many of NYC's suburbs. Dominicans are tops in Manhattan and the Bronx; Chinese in Brooklyn and Queens - though African-Americans' lack of choosing listed ancestries probably hurt their numbers in Brooklyn. That certainly hurt in Newark, whose top A/H/R is Puerto Rican on this map.
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2017, 01:54:49 AM »

O Here is a Venn Diagram showing the people who claim "American" and the people who voted Trump.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2017, 01:58:29 AM »

O Here is a Venn Diagram showing the people who claim "American" and the people who voted Trump.

Some African-Americans likely choose American, too, for lack of a better choice, so I doubt it's a full set. But yes, many of the "American" ancestry towns are likely pro-Trump.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2017, 08:27:20 AM »

As I mentioned in the past few weeks, Census recently released their 2012-16 American Community Survey results. One of the tables that release contained is Reported Ancestries and Hispanic/Racial Subgroup information for Asians, American Indians, Alaska Natives and Pacific Islanders.

First, the CONUS map:

As you can see, German Ancestry predominates in most of the North except the Northeast. American is tops in much of the South outside of Florida and Southern Louisiana, and the Mexican Hispanic subgroup dominates much of the Southwest. One issue with Census' ancestry data is that African-Americans tend to check other ancestry instead of one of the Subsaharan African ancestries, which makes African-American predominant cities like New Orleans appear to be something else, (in New Orleans' case, German).
This isn't what happens. The Census bureau does not break out ancestries associated with most races, other than white (European). One of the suggested ancestries on the form is African American.

For example, if you look at Orleans Parish. 383K total persons, 342K reported reported an ancestry, 37K skipped the question, and 4K reported something that the Census Bureau did not classify. This last group might include people who responded 'Jewish' which Census Bureau does not consider an ancestry. I would expect that in areas of New York City, this classification is much higher. In New Orleans, some people may respond with terms that the Census Bureau isn't quite sure how to classify.

276K reported a single ancestry, which is probably high compared to Iowa. 214K of these were an ancestry other than those broken out. 233K were Black. Most of these responded African American ancestry and are lumped in Other. 12K said "African" ancestry, but they are probably indistinguishable from those who responded "African American". You will find similar numbers throughout the rural south, where there are unlikely to be recent immigrants from Africa. In university towns, like Starkville, Athens, etc., you may see some who report specific countries in Africa.

You could use Non-Hispanic Black alone minus specific African and some West Indian groups as "African American ancestry"

There are tables for Asian by Selected Groups, which could be used as equivalent to Vietnamese, Chinese, etc. ancestry. This probably can be used with Asian alone or in combination. Someone who is the offspring of Vietnamese-White relationship could report Vietnamese and Irish, German, etc., and the Irish and German ancestry is included, but Vietnamese would be lumped in with other groups. There are around 12K Asians in Orleans, with about half Vietnamese. The Asian by Selected Groups tables may not be available for many small areas.

There are also Hispanic or Latino by Specific Origin. This is not available for Orleans, but might be for other cities such as Miami, New York, etc. It is availabe at a state level.

For Florida Possible Groups over 100K:

African American (Black Non Hispanic minus West Indian minus (Subsaharan African - African)

American 1634K (American + European)
Cuban 1400K
Puerto Rican 1014K
Mexican 677K
German 637K
Irish 542K
English 542K
Italian 526K
Haitian 417K
Colombian 350K
Jamaican 232K
Dominican (i.e D.R) 209K
Polish 180K
Asian Indian 163K
Nicaraguan 153K
Venezuelan 144K
Filipino 141K
Honduran 132K
Peruvian 121K
Chinese 117K
Scottish 111K
Guatemalan 108K
French 105K

You could also use the PUMS data to get the direct responses, or at least get an understanding of how people respond.
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2017, 05:30:20 PM »

though African-Americans' lack of choosing listed ancestries probably hurt their numbers in Brooklyn.

NYC's Black population is heavily Caribbean.

About half of NYC Black household heads are foreign born (see Table 1).

http://www.metropolitiques.eu/The-Evolution-of-New-York-City-s.html?lang=fr

There are probably a fair number of 2nd generation Caribbean Blacks in the "native" head of household category.  It wouldn't surprise me if more NYC blacks can trace their roots to the Caribbean than to the South at this point.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2017, 08:23:07 PM »

though African-Americans' lack of choosing listed ancestries probably hurt their numbers in Brooklyn.

NYC's Black population is heavily Caribbean.

About half of NYC Black household heads are foreign born (see Table 1).

http://www.metropolitiques.eu/The-Evolution-of-New-York-City-s.html?lang=fr

There are probably a fair number of 2nd generation Caribbean Blacks in the "native" head of household category.  It wouldn't surprise me if more NYC blacks can trace their roots to the Caribbean than to the South at this point.

Census reports the Caribbean groups as ancestries. In Mount Vernon, NY, for example, Jamaican was top ancestry.

When I have time, I’ll have to run a test with jimrtex’s back-ending the African-American percentage. I suspect that’s going to create the opposite issue - a map that shows too many plurality African-American areas with AA as top ancestry/Hispanic/Racial subgroup.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2017, 03:06:44 PM »
« Edited: December 21, 2017, 08:26:57 PM by cinyc »

As a test, here's what the NYC Metro map looks like if you define African American to be Non-Hispanic AAs - all Subsaharan African Ancestries - All West Indian Ancestries, as defined on the total ancesty table. Someone can be, say, Nigerian and Dominican, so I may be slightly undercounting by using that metric:

As expected, I think this is a bit over-inclusive. I think of places like Elizabeth, NJ as more Hispanic than African-American, but because the Hispanic groups are fractured, it comes out as plurailty African-American.

jimrtex - do you think this metric is better?
King Lear
Russian Federation

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2017, 03:31:18 PM »

As a test, here's what the NYC Metro map looks like if you define African American to be Non-Hispanic AAs - all Subsaharan African Ancestries - All West Indian Ancestries, as defined on the total ancesty table. Someone can be, say, Nigerian and Dominican, so I may be slightly undercounting by using that metric:

As expected, I think this is a bit over-inclusive. I think of places like Elizabeth, NJ as more Hispanic than African-American, but because the Hispanic groups are fractured, it comes out as plurailty African-American.

Can someone make a map of the whole country with this methodology.
King Lear
Russian Federation

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2017, 03:39:38 PM »

By the way can someone find a way to lump American in the English category, from what I've heard most of the people that mark American are white southerners of English ancestry that have been here so long they call their ancestry American.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2017, 04:16:58 PM »
« Edited: December 21, 2017, 08:28:19 PM by cinyc »

I'm not going to redo Alaska or Hawaii. I doubt they'll change much, anwyay.

By the way can someone find a way to lump American in the English category, from what I've heard most of the people that mark American are white southerners of English ancestry that have been here so long they call their ancestry American.

I could, but it takes my computer a very long time to recompile the data when I make a change. I have to go into 3 different spreadsheets to compute things. So it's not on my immediate to do list.
King Lear
Russian Federation

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2017, 06:12:48 PM »

I'm not going to redo Alaska or Hawaii. I doubt they'll change much, anwyay.

I could, but it takes my computer a very long time to recompile the data when I make a change. I have to go into 3 different spreadsheets to compute things. So it's not on my immediate to do list.
I like this map much better than the first one because it doesn’t ignore the African Americans in the black belt and the major cities, However I believe the map would be improved evan more if American was joined with English so we could clearly see which areas of the Deep South are populated by white southerners and which parts are populated by African Americans. For example, Mississippi is shown on the map as almost entirely African American, including areas we know are populated by White southerners, Unfortunately these areas are shown as African-American because the American and English catagories are separated from each other inaccurately showing African Americans as the largest group, However I understand it’s probably really time consuming to join the two groups together.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2017, 08:31:09 PM »

I like this map much better than the first one because it doesn’t ignore the African Americans in the black belt and the major cities, However I believe the map would be improved evan more if American was joined with English so we could clearly see which areas of the Deep South are populated by white southerners and which parts are populated by African Americans. For example, Mississippi is shown on the map as almost entirely African American, including areas we know are populated by White southerners, Unfortunately these areas are shown as African-American because the American and English catagories are separated from each other inaccurately showing African Americans as the largest group, However I understand it’s probably really time consuming to join the two groups together.

Wouldn't a simple racial map do that?

BTW - I noticed an error in my calculations. I subtracted the wrong rows. I've replaced the maps in the previous post. It flipped some of the NYC boroughs and suburbs back to what they were, since many NYC-area African Americans are West Indian.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2017, 12:34:41 AM »

This doesn't change things in the South a heck of a lot, in my opinion. Maybe at the margins, but South Carolina still looks pretty brown on the map.

Note that there are still some pockets of American and English on the map in jurisdictions where there was one of the two but not the other, largely in rural areas. This is because I made the map quickly using a =MAX function and didn't do anything for ties.
King Lear
Russian Federation

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2017, 07:00:12 PM »

This doesn't change things in the South a heck of a lot, in my opinion. Maybe at the margins, but South Carolina still looks pretty brown on the map.

Note that there are still some pockets of American and English on the map in jurisdictions where there was one of the two but not the other, largely in rural areas. This is because I made the map quickly using a =MAX function and didn't do anything for ties.
This map is by far the most accurate ancestry map I’ve seen of the United States, What is most striking is how once you combine American with English it becomes so obvious that English is by far the largest ancestry among White Americans with German a close second, Irish third, and Italian a distant fourth. Finaly their is a clear correlation between areas of English ancestry and areas with White Evangelicals in the South and bordering parts of the Midwest and with the Mormon population in the West. Basically these English Americans are the real republican base.
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2017, 07:39:46 PM »

This is fantastic.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2017, 08:02:55 PM »

They need to replace 'American' with Scots-Irish, since that is the actual ancestry of respondents who choose that word. 
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2017, 08:22:10 PM »

Caribbean Americans in Brooklyn in NYC are the soul of Brooklyn.
Hydera

« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2017, 09:23:13 PM »

They need to replace 'American' with Scots-Irish, since that is the actual ancestry of respondents who choose that word. 

A lot of people in the South also put down their ancestry as Irish even in areas that has barely any catholics. Im guessing those are putting down irish on their ancestry for convenience.
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2017, 01:11:33 PM »

And most of these Scots-Irish have English ancestry too.  The so-called Celtic Thesis promoted by Jim Webb is nonsense. 
King Lear
Russian Federation

« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2017, 03:56:02 PM »

And most of these Scots-Irish have English ancestry too.  The so-called Celtic Thesis promoted by Jim Webb is nonsense. 
Your totaly right, the so-called “Scots-Irish” have no Scottish or Irish ancestry to speak of, their realy just English Protestants from Northern England that the English crown sent to colonize Northern Ireland in the 1600s (the orange plantation), shortly afterwards these people started fighting with the indigenous Irish Catholics (The real Celtic people) and by the 1700s some of them were even rebelling against the British crown. For these reasons many of these so-called “Scots-Irish” immigrated to the thirteen colonies in the 1700s and settled in the backwoods of Appalachia. Today these people are some of the most uneducated and racist people in America and they form the primary base of the Republican Party throughout Appalachia and adjacent parts of the Midwest (some of these people have made their way into Michigan and Wisconsin, while Ohio and Pennsylvania has tons of them because large parts of those states lie in Appalachia), thus we can thank these people for trumps victory last year.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2017, 04:09:21 PM »

1) Not necessarily.
2) Scots-Irish is already an option for the ancestry question on the Census.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2017, 04:36:57 PM »

This map is by far the most accurate ancestry map I’ve seen of the United States, What is most striking is how once you combine American with English it becomes so obvious that English is by far the largest ancestry among White Americans with German a close second, Irish third, and Italian a distant fourth. Finaly their is a clear correlation between areas of English ancestry and areas with White Evangelicals in the South and bordering parts of the Midwest and with the Mormon population in the West. Basically these English Americans are the real republican base.

Yes, American+English is the best map so far. I'd love to see more of close-ups of major cities (Seattle, please!).
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2017, 05:13:53 PM »
« Edited: December 23, 2017, 05:40:55 PM by cinyc »

Yes, American+English is the best map so far. I'd love to see more of close-ups of major cities (Seattle, please!).

This is likely to go up interactively on Carto after I crunch more ACS numbers. I don't want to have to re-do the maps every time I update the database. (Free Carto accounts don't get much space, so I have to be economical).

Anyway, Metro Seattle:

Here's the map with English and American as separate categories. It's more German:

cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2017, 06:23:12 PM »

SF Bay Area:

No, I don't know how the Puget Sound Salish made their way down to California. But they're allegedly tops in Cold Springs CDP, Toulume County (covered up by the legend). My guess is it's an estimation or data error. Probably the latter.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies