If Spiro Agnew became president in 1972...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 02, 2024, 08:17:52 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History
  Alternative History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  If Spiro Agnew became president in 1972...
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: If Spiro Agnew became president in 1972...  (Read 591 times)
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 16, 2017, 07:37:56 AM »

The George Wallace shooter originally wanted to assassinate Tricky Dick, but couldn't get close enough to him. What if the plan succeeded and Agnew became president in May 1972? With the political climate and just after coming into office after the tragic death of president, Agnew would have won reelection that November pretty easily I assume. As we know, he resigned over a fraud scandal in October 1973 that had nothing to do with Watergate.

Do you think he would have been forced to resign, had he been president at that time? I think that is questionable, as 1973 would have been a year with much political capital, similar to LBJ's standing in 1965. And who would have been his vice president? I tend to believe John Conally is most likely. Ford, Rockefeller or Reagan are unlikely I think. Ford was only picked because he was the only one Nixon could get through congress in the wake of Watergate and the Gipper and Rocky are too polarzing.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2017, 08:34:35 AM »

Conally doesn’t have the connection to Agnew that he would have had with Nixon, and in fact, the new President probably would have seen him as little more than a rival, seeing as Nixon wanted to replace him with the Texan in 1972. As such, I don’t see a Ford appointment out of the question, and I’m unsure who Agnrw’s Allies were at the time who would be a more likely choice than Ford.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies