Net Neutrality Repeal Discussion Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 25, 2024, 11:50:27 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Net Neutrality Repeal Discussion Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6
Author Topic: Net Neutrality Repeal Discussion Thread  (Read 9528 times)
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: December 14, 2017, 11:21:51 PM »

So, what happens when a Democrat wins back the presidency and appoints a new FCC chair? They could just reinstate net neutrality, right?

On paper yes but that's not happening. It's gone forever.
this goes farther

Why?

You can't grant companies this much power and expect that it can be rolled back.

They had "this much power" pre-2015.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #101 on: December 14, 2017, 11:22:43 PM »

If only the shrill corporatist right wing bitch won, this wouldn't be a problem. Thanks to all the jferns and Stein voters of the world!

muhhhh both parties same!

Please, chill with punching left. 
I've seen no evidence of Berners lining Pai's pockets.

I wasn't bashing the left. The left voted for Hillary. I'm bashing the fringe left that prefers to unleash destruction on the country by giving us presidents like Dubya and Trump due to supporting jokes like Nader and Russian plants like Stein rather than vote for an imperfect Democrat.
Jill Stein had no impact on the outcome.

Typical Clintonite behavior. Hillary was "owed" those votes and all the lowly peasants ought to get in line and vote for Hillary because America would somehow be disgraced if Hillary wasn't given the presidency.

2016 should of been a landslide....the fact she couldn't put away a clown like Trump shows you she was a lousy and lazy candidate to begin with.

No, America is disgraced by the orangutan currently in the White House, which is the handiwork of (among many others) Stein voters.
It's amusing how cleaver and smart you think you are when your actually quite the opposite. Yes, blame third party voters who are usually poorer than most Americans and have no power...but a Democratic party with opposition of somebody like Trump has nothing to criticize about them?! Heck if you were running the Democratic party you'd probably lose to Trump again.

Well, I'm at least clever and smart enough to know that 49,941 > 44,292.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

« Reply #102 on: December 14, 2017, 11:36:09 PM »

"How do you do, fellow kids?"
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #103 on: December 15, 2017, 09:40:58 AM »

DJ Baauer calls for legal action for unauthorized use of his music.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #104 on: December 15, 2017, 10:19:26 AM »

I'm seeing people (read: conservatives) say "nothing happened pre-2015 and I never experienced anything so obviously nothing will change now, we will just have more freedom". Ignoring the many instances that happened before and equating their own experiences to what happened to everyone.
BudgieForce
superbudgie1582
YaBB God

« Reply #105 on: December 15, 2017, 10:21:58 AM »

Wasnt there a reason in 2015 for the surge in support for Net Neutrality? Like, wasnt an ISP considering extra charges for Netflix or something?
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #106 on: December 15, 2017, 10:46:21 AM »

If only the shrill corporatist right wing bitch won, this wouldn't be a problem. Thanks to all the jferns and Stein voters of the world!

Already, people are blaming the 4 Demcrats who voted to confirm Pai instead of the Republicans who allow this repeal to happen! Beautiful!

https://youtu.be/kHHitXxH-us?t=50s
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #107 on: December 15, 2017, 01:28:28 PM »

Pai is the only Trump official who tries even half-assedly to be likable to the public at large and somehow that makes him the most disgusting of all of them.
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #108 on: December 15, 2017, 03:05:43 PM »

sorry too busy living real life to care about ISP law #YOLO
fluffypanther19
United States

« Reply #109 on: December 15, 2017, 03:56:09 PM »

I wasn't bashing the left. The left voted for Hillary. I'm bashing the fringe left that prefers to unleash destruction on the country by giving us presidents like Dubya and Trump due to supporting jokes like Nader and Russian plants like Stein rather than vote for an imperfect Democrat.

Typical Clintonite behavior. Hillary was "owed" those votes and all the lowly peasants ought to get in line and vote for Hillary because America would somehow be disgraced if Hillary wasn't given the presidency.

2016 should of been a landslide....the fact she couldn't put away a clown like Trump shows you she was a lousy and lazy candidate to begin with.

No, America is disgraced by the orangutan currently in the White House, which is the handiwork of (among many others) Stein voters.
It's amusing how cleaver and smart you think you are when your actually quite the opposite. Yes, blame third party voters who are usually poorer than most Americans and have no power...but a Democratic party with opposition of somebody like Trump has nothing to criticize about them?! Heck if you were running the Democratic party you'd probably lose to Trump again.

this country could literally be on fire and you people would still be arguing about a primary that happened like 2 years ago. its time to move on and focus on the task ahead.
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #110 on: December 15, 2017, 04:00:58 PM »

As of 12/15:
Attorneys general in the following states have announced plans to challenge the repeal of net neutrality:

Delaware
Illinois
Kentucky
Massachusetts
New York
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Washington
Vermont
and D.C.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #111 on: December 15, 2017, 04:03:46 PM »

Pai is the only Trump official who tries even half-assedly to be likable to the public at large and somehow that makes him the most disgusting of all of them.

That video made me want to throw my monitor out the window.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #112 on: December 15, 2017, 05:31:34 PM »

this country could literally be on fire and you people would still be arguing about a primary that happened like 2 years ago. its time to move on and focus on the task ahead.

Uh...not a single one of my posts mentioned a primary.
fluffypanther19
United States

« Reply #113 on: December 15, 2017, 07:10:33 PM »

Uh...not a single one of my posts mentioned a primary.
uh yeah sorry, you are right about that; but you and the other guys' arguments about whether Jill stein would affect the vote or not is as meaningless as the constant debates on atlas about last year's election. I should had said election instead of primary. Im just exasperated with the constant litigation about last year and want to focus on more recent events and the future. rant over
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #114 on: December 15, 2017, 07:23:27 PM »

Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #115 on: December 15, 2017, 07:33:36 PM »

You can't blame the Green party for the Dems losing when those voters (in just about any election) would stay home rather than vote had it been a strict two-way race.
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #116 on: December 15, 2017, 09:24:49 PM »

4 Democrats voted to approve Pai only like 3 months ago. His nomination would of failed without them

But even if those Democrats tanked his confirmation, as stated before, Republicans would have just voted on him again when all the GOP Senators were present. But let's just assume that didn't happen - if Pai didn't get confirmed, another conservative almost surely would have done the same thing. Let's face it - this is what the Republican Party is about. They are the representatives of business. Obviously businesses have competing interests, so they basically represent who has the most cash and other perks to give them. In this case, the telecom industry is mostly united against net neutrality, with only tech companies and content providers for it - companies that are already generally Democrat supporters. There was never really a chance for Republicans to control the White House and not do this.

It's a matter of principle. The average Joe reads "4 Democrats crossed over to approve Pai," and they conclude both parties are the same, they have no political recourse, and they continue checking out of the political process. You don't help the other side ever under any circumstances when it contradicts your own principles or party platform. Democrats can't say they are for net neutrality then confirm the guy who kills it. This is exactly why the Democratic party is in such a sorry shape. A couple of weeks ago, Donelley cracked a deal with the GOP to undo parts of Dodd-Franks. It's stuff like this on why people just conclude both parties are the same
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #117 on: December 15, 2017, 09:30:53 PM »

As of 12/15:
Attorneys general in the following states have announced plans to challenge the repeal of net neutrality:

Delaware
Illinois
Kentucky
Massachusetts
New York
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Washington
Vermont
and D.C.

Wish them luck.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #118 on: December 16, 2017, 12:41:59 AM »

Could you guys take a look at my list of GOPers who may flip on net neutrality and suggest any necessary adjustments?? I'd really appreciate it.

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=279753.0
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #119 on: December 16, 2017, 06:13:30 AM »

does ted cruz refer to ppl as snowflakes now too? that's the dumbest thing tbh. i thought it was only alt right morons who did that.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #120 on: December 16, 2017, 04:21:36 PM »

JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #121 on: December 16, 2017, 04:27:15 PM »

At that point, the alt right will defect from the Trump Train.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #122 on: December 16, 2017, 04:43:23 PM »

Is this a real tweet?
Bleach Blonde Bad Built Butch Bodies for Biden
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #123 on: December 16, 2017, 05:15:39 PM »

I wish.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #124 on: December 16, 2017, 05:24:55 PM »

Can't be too careful. We're in a post-sarcasm reality.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies