Net Neutrality Repeal Discussion Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 05:50:13 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Net Neutrality Repeal Discussion Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
Author Topic: Net Neutrality Repeal Discussion Thread  (Read 9468 times)
ProgressiveCanadian
YaBB God
Canada

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: December 14, 2017, 07:22:37 PM »

So, what happens when a Democrat wins back the presidency and appoints a new FCC chair? They could just reinstate net neutrality, right?

On paper yes but that's not happening. It's gone forever.

Why?

You can't grant companies this much power and expect that it can be rolled back.

Currently you are correct. Corporations have to much say over what laws pass currently for this to be rolled back. The only answer is getting money out of politics by a constitutional amendment.
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #76 on: December 14, 2017, 07:23:04 PM »

So, what happens when a Democrat wins back the presidency and appoints a new FCC chair? They could just reinstate net neutrality, right?

Why?

You can't grant companies this much power and expect that it can be rolled back.

They had this much power TWO YEARS AGO and you could still access Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Netflix, Atlas, whatever just fine.  Stop with the hysteria.

We don't agree very much but this has always been my reaction to the net neutrality freakouts. The internet wasn't an Orwellian nightmare with telecom companies blocking anything they didn't like prior to 2015, so there's no reason to expect it to suddenly become one now. They could have been doing this stuff for like 20 years before NN passed and they weren't probably because it would hurt their bottom line badly. I've really never heard an adequate answer to this.
America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
« Reply #77 on: December 14, 2017, 07:25:59 PM »

Why?

They had this much power TWO YEARS AGO and you could still access Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Netflix, Atlas, whatever just fine.  Stop with the hysteria.

We don't agree very much but this has always been my reaction to the net neutrality freakouts. The internet wasn't an Orwellian nightmare with telecom companies blocking anything they didn't like prior to 2015, so there's no reason to expect it to suddenly become one now. They could have been doing this stuff for like 20 years before NN passed and they weren't probably because it would hurt their bottom line badly. I've really never heard an adequate answer to this.

The decision made today repeals rules that existed since the beginning of the internet.  The 2015 amendment only had anything to do with a crack down of common methods being used to dodge the older rules.  This is a deliberate misinformation campaign being propagated to make people think that things were the same before 2015.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #78 on: December 14, 2017, 07:27:25 PM »

If only the shrill corporatist right wing bitch won, this wouldn't be a problem. Thanks to all the jferns and Stein voters of the world!

muhhhh both parties same!

Please, chill with punching left. 
I've seen no evidence of Berners lining Pai's pockets.

I wasn't bashing the left. The left voted for Hillary. I'm bashing the fringe left that prefers to unleash destruction on the country by giving us presidents like Dubya and Trump due to supporting jokes like Nader and Russian plants like Stein rather than vote for an imperfect Democrat.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #79 on: December 14, 2017, 07:28:23 PM »

If only the shrill corporatist right wing bitch won, this wouldn't be a problem. Thanks to all the jferns and Stein voters of the world!

I wasn't bashing the left. The left voted for Hillary. I'm bashing the fringe left that prefers to unleash destruction on the country by giving us presidents like Dubya and Trump due to supporting jokes like Nader and Russian plants like Stein rather than vote for an imperfect Democrat.
Jill Stein had no impact on the outcome.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #80 on: December 14, 2017, 07:29:35 PM »

She got more votes in PA/WI/MI than Trump's winning margin.
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #81 on: December 14, 2017, 07:31:39 PM »

Anyone who had enough motivation to cast a vote for Stein probably was not gonna vote Hillary had Stein not been on the ballot
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #82 on: December 14, 2017, 07:35:45 PM »

BundouYMB

« Reply #83 on: December 14, 2017, 07:36:52 PM »

When 100% 35% of Republicans support a bad thing, and like 5% 2% of Democrats support the bad thing, that's not both parties being the same.

These numbers are probably more accurate of public opinion.

I'm talking about members of congress...
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #84 on: December 14, 2017, 07:37:06 PM »

Anyone who had enough motivation to cast a vote for Stein probably was not gonna vote Hillary had Stein not been on the ballot

I think I saw Hillary would have won them by a 25 point margin, which obviously not enough to make the difference.

And anyways, they were just taking Hillary's advice.
https://twitter.com/hillaryclinton/status/755967178285907968?lang=en
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #85 on: December 14, 2017, 07:43:15 PM »

Typical Clintonite behavior. Hillary was "owed" those votes and all the lowly peasants ought to get in line and vote for Hillary because America would somehow be disgraced if Hillary wasn't given the presidency.

2016 should of been a landslide....the fact she couldn't put away a clown like Trump shows you she was a lousy and lazy candidate to begin with.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #86 on: December 14, 2017, 07:48:03 PM »

Why?

Currently you are correct. Corporations have to much say over what laws pass currently for this to be rolled back. The only answer is getting money out of politics by a constitutional amendment.

No offense (truly) but neither you nor Immortal have any idea what will happen. It's quite perplexing why you guys are freaking out over this. If corporations were all-powerful, the old rules never would have been implemented in the first place. The very fact that Title II was enacted, by a former lobbyist no less (and over the incessant whining of the telecom industry), is evidence that there are limits to corporate power.

And for the record, I'm not disputing that corporations don't have a lot of influence, but for some issues they don't, and certain industries hold more sway over one party than the other. For instance, there isn't much oil companies can do to stop Democrats from pushing hard for renewable energy and climate change solutions. Likewise, there isn't much the telecom industry can do at this point to stop Democrats from bringing back stricter regulations on their industry, including full net neutrality rules.
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #87 on: December 14, 2017, 07:51:47 PM »

Typical Clintonite behavior. Hillary was "owed" those votes and all the lowly peasants ought to get in line and vote for Hillary because America would somehow be disgraced if Hillary wasn't given the presidency.

2016 should of been a landslide....the fact she couldn't put away a clown like Trump shows you she was a lousy and lazy candidate to begin with.

I was 17 throughout the 2016 election cycle, but had I been able to vote, I would have voted Bernie Sanders in the primary and Hillary Clinton in the general.  I consider both Bernie Sanders and Hillary Clinton to have been excellent candidates, and I believe Donald Trump to be a horribly unqualified person who threatens the lives of everyone on this planet at a daily basis.
Bleach Blonde Bad Built Butch Bodies for Biden
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #88 on: December 14, 2017, 08:18:23 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFhT6H6pRWg

What a snobbish c#nt.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #89 on: December 14, 2017, 08:22:50 PM »

Net Neutrality was instituted because ISPs were starting to abuse their power more and more. Now, they'll start to do it again. And people will wake up and vote in politicians who will reinstate it.

There's actually a bill moving forward in Congress to instate Net Neutrality as the law of the land. When the Democrats retake the houses next year, it's a sure bet to go through.

I think it might even be faster. I think enough House Republicans might support this to do a discharge petition. And several GOP Senators (Collins, Thune) have said they support net neutrality legislation.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #90 on: December 14, 2017, 08:32:13 PM »

So did the FCC just hand the Democratic party the 2018 Midterm elections? How generous!
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #91 on: December 14, 2017, 08:34:43 PM »

So did the FCC just hand the Democratic party the 2018 Midterm elections? How generous!

Only if Republicans in Congress let it stand.
ProgressiveCanadian
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #92 on: December 14, 2017, 09:53:57 PM »

Your still delusional i see.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #93 on: December 14, 2017, 10:30:28 PM »

No, America is disgraced by the orangutan currently in the White House, which is the handiwork of (among many others) Stein voters.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #94 on: December 14, 2017, 10:32:58 PM »

Your still delusional i see.

Uh, that statement was factual. Go do the simple math and come back.
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #95 on: December 14, 2017, 10:40:27 PM »

No, America is disgraced by the orangutan currently in the White House, which is the handiwork of (among many others) Stein voters.

I think you missed the point: Hillary isn't owed those votes or the presidency. She was so convinced by the data stiffs and clown consultants she was going to win that she ignored her own campaign officers on the ground telling her she was going to lose. Again, the people of America don't owe Hillary their votes. If she didn't want those people voting Stein, she should of ran a better campaign. Instead she ran the worst campaign in herstory.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #96 on: December 14, 2017, 10:49:33 PM »

Guys, can we stop blaming for what's already happened in the past and start looking to what we can do in the future? I don't think any of us Dems have any disagreements on this issue
ProgressiveCanadian
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #97 on: December 14, 2017, 10:55:08 PM »

It's amusing how cleaver and smart you think you are when your actually quite the opposite. Yes, blame third party voters who are usually poorer than most Americans and have no power...but a Democratic party with opposition of somebody like Trump has nothing to criticize about them?! Heck if you were running the Democratic party you'd probably lose to Trump again.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #98 on: December 14, 2017, 11:06:32 PM »

Why?

They had "this much power" pre-2015.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #99 on: December 14, 2017, 11:21:03 PM »

The blame goes to the people who wanted Hillary to win and failed to vote for her out of laziness and reasons like "well she's got it in the bag, so why should I have to help?"

There's certainly some overlap with Stein voters there, but a lot of them preferred Trump anyway and got exactly what they wanted.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies