Alabama Megathread 4: A New Hope (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 09:46:16 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Alabama Megathread 4: A New Hope (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Alabama Megathread 4: A New Hope  (Read 68087 times)
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« on: December 13, 2017, 12:49:02 AM »

These margins are understated:

Jefferson: D+38
Madison: D+17
Tuscaloosa: D+16
Mobile: D+14
Lee: D+17
Shelby: R+14

Total collapse in Shelby. I would say only Baldwin (R+26) voted more for Moore than those counties would suggest, which might be an effect of the Trump rally. Jones really performed well where he needed to.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2017, 01:02:37 AM »

Wiregrass didn't come through for Moore either. Really the only place that fully stood by him were non-Huntsville area Northern Alabama.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2017, 02:07:45 AM »

Moore didn't visit Mobile or Shelby counties in the last month of the election. Basically "Hillary never visited Wisconsin" but on the other side of the equation.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2017, 02:35:53 PM »

Just looking at the exit polls... Doug won 74% of the moderate vote and 59% of the 18-24 year old vote. I have faith that the young generation won't morph into the Hitler youth.

I'd like to meet the 25% of "moderates" that voted for Moore, lol.

They're Republicans. Probably concentrated in Shelby/Jefferson burbs, Madison, Tuscaloosa and Mobile.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2017, 03:10:17 PM »

The Black Belt and Birmingham turnout won the election for Jones.

Yes. Madison, Tuscaloosa, Lee and Mobile too. Also worth noting the huge swing in Shelby with turnout actually increasing.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2017, 05:35:10 PM »

It seems that certain people can't accept that their side can possibly lose without it being cheating:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Anyone else hearing this? Anyone? Anything to this rumor? Can anyone confirm? Just reporting.

Doesn't Alabama have voter ID requirements? Roll Eyes
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2017, 10:43:21 PM »

Not sure if this is real or not, but a couple of their other articles look like they aren't satire:

Nick Saban came in 3rd
http://dailysnark.com/nick-saban-came-3rd-place-alabama-senate-election-20k-votes/

Really don't think it's real. Saban did not get 96% of the write-in vote?
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2017, 12:20:45 AM »

I wish I could have been off work so I could have seen the results as they came in. Sad

The first returns were pro-Jones. Jefferson county was like 85% Jones, Mobile, Tuscaloosa and Madison were >65% Jones. After about 20% reporting, Moore took the lead as the rural counties started reporting everything and Jones' counties were being slow. Montgomery and Dallas took forever. At one point Moore was 8% ahead. Then his counties all finished and what was remaining was all Jones counties, along with some Baldwin and Shelby. Jones slowly caught up and then overtook Moore. The last county to finish counting was Mobile.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2017, 11:45:41 AM »

Here are my initial calculations on the white vote. Thankfully, AL records registrations by race, which made my starting position more accurate than it would have been otherwise - not sure if they release voter turnout by race and county in the weeks following an election, but if so, that'll help make this projection more accurate.

These two maps show the same thing: the one on the left was the first one I made with 5-point gradients, but I decided to break it down into 1-point gradients on the right to make the differences between counties more visible (at the expense of making every county where whites were <15% D colorless)

Thank you!

Very interesting to see some of Jones' worst counties actually didn't have his worst performances with whites. Likewise, some counties he actually won gave him worse numbers with whites.

And Lee county being Jones' second best performance with whites is surprising and should worry Republicans.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2017, 11:55:06 AM »

Jones job in 2020 is to keep his support in those Birmingham burbs (including Shelby) along with Madison, Tuscaloosa, Mobile and Lee, and to make inroads in northern Alabama. And to keep black turn out high, obviously.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2017, 12:36:57 PM »

Yeah and he's hot.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies