Alabama Megathread 4: A New Hope (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 09:07:29 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Alabama Megathread 4: A New Hope (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Alabama Megathread 4: A New Hope  (Read 68081 times)
💥💥 brandon bro (he/him/his)
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« on: December 13, 2017, 09:06:18 AM »

Odd that white men outnumbered white women so much in this election. Conservative women staying home?

I don't find it particularly odd. This man, by all accounts, harassed and molested women. Those who would have otherwise turned out to vote for him (white women) couldn't bring themselves to do that.

Eh, I feel like you could spin that narrative either way. If white woman turnout is low, it's because they didn't want to turn out for Moore. If white woman turnout is high, it's because they want to turn out to defeat Moore.

I'm not necessarily saying that you are wrong or that your logic is flawed, I would just need more evidence before I backed that claim. I would have expected the latter to be true (although maybe I am getting places like Alabama and California confused in my head).
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2017, 11:04:14 PM »

My point I am making is a lot of democrats are using this race to say that 2018 is going to be a blood bath for the Republicans. When this race was about much more than the republicans. It was about Moore as a person. Don't get me wrong, I think Republicans will not do great in 2018, but I don't think Democrats are going to blow them out of the water.

But it's not just Alabama -- this election is the cherry on top of several elections (at the state and federal level) where Ds have far outperformed their 2016 totals (really, any totals from the last seven years possibly excluding 2012). If we saw this result in 2013 I would agree with you that there isn't a lot to extrapolate from here. But in 2017 we do have other things to extrapolate from and they really don't look good for Republicans.
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2017, 05:50:30 PM »

Monroe County voted for Moore by a margin of 14 votes...

Watching Monroe switch from blue to pink when the last precinct came in was the saddest part of watching returns that night. Sad( Would have made for a prettier map.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies