Alabama Megathread 4: A New Hope
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 04:37:29 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Alabama Megathread 4: A New Hope
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 ... 27
Author Topic: Alabama Megathread 4: A New Hope  (Read 67985 times)
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #450 on: December 23, 2017, 04:41:11 PM »

Moore is now on Facebook blaming "Muslims and Marxists" for his loss. Because as we all know, Alabama is a hotbed of Muslims and Marxists.
They were bussed in from Mississippi, obviously.

That other hotbed.
Vern
vern1988
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.30, S: -0.70

P P P

« Reply #451 on: December 24, 2017, 03:09:00 PM »

I don't see why democrats are joyful about the results. Yes Doug won, but it took everything the democrat had to win a narrow victory against a guy who should have been blown out of the water.
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #452 on: December 24, 2017, 03:41:26 PM »

I don't see why democrats are joyful about the results. Yes Doug won, but it took everything the democrat had to win a narrow victory against a guy who should have been blown out of the water.

To be fair, most Democrats had low expectations and this race pretty much confirmed that it's not impossible for a Democrat to win in AL, even though the circumstances were, of course, unusual.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #453 on: December 24, 2017, 04:06:14 PM »

Martha Coakley also sucked hard as a candidate but that didn't prevent Republicans from celebrating Scott Brown's win, or the media talking about "Democrats in disarray".
Vern
vern1988
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #454 on: December 24, 2017, 07:03:35 PM »

Martha Coakley also sucked hard as a candidate but that didn't prevent Republicans from celebrating Scott Brown's win, or the media talking about "Democrats in disarray".

There is a big difference between Martha Coakley and Roy Moore.
BudgieForce
superbudgie1582
YaBB God

« Reply #455 on: December 24, 2017, 07:52:13 PM »

And a big difference from Alabama and Massachusetts.
America's Sweetheart ❤/𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕭𝖔𝖔𝖙𝖞 𝖂𝖆𝖗𝖗𝖎𝖔𝖗
TexArkana
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #456 on: December 24, 2017, 09:19:37 PM »

Martha Coakley would have lost much worse in Alabama.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #457 on: December 25, 2017, 01:00:25 AM »

Moore is now on Facebook blaming "Muslims and Marxists" for his loss. Because as we all know, Alabama is a hotbed of Muslims and Marxists.

So Moore has finally conceded the race?
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #458 on: December 25, 2017, 06:58:27 AM »

Great work NOVA Green! Do you yourself have an overall conclusion from all this analysis as to what was the main driver of Jones' win?
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #459 on: December 25, 2017, 03:55:25 PM »

Write-in votes so far. Republican Lee Busby got 3,696 votes. Libertarian Ron Bishop got 835 votes. Independent social conservative Chanda Mills Crutcher got 185 votes.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #460 on: December 25, 2017, 05:42:47 PM »

What would be the appropriate reaction for you, sir? Roll Eyes

At the end of the day, the Democrats have an extra senate seat. How it was achieved is irrelevant at this point.
Vern
vern1988
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #461 on: December 25, 2017, 06:46:26 PM »

At the end of the day, the Democrats have an extra senate seat. How it was achieved is irrelevant at this point.

My point is, y’all are acting like this means the death of the Republicans and 2018 is going to be a blood bath. That isn’t true. It took everything the Democratic Party has to bet a child rapist.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #462 on: December 25, 2017, 06:47:55 PM »

My point is, y’all are acting like this means the death of the Republicans and 2018 is going to be a blood bath. That isn’t true. It took everything the Democratic Party has to bet a child rapist.

Even if Republicans had nominated a normal candidate, Jones wouldn't have lost by more than 10 points. Which for a Democrat in Alabama would have been an amazing result.
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #463 on: December 25, 2017, 07:01:05 PM »

It's not just this one result that has people expecting the GOP to get hammered next year.  This is only one result of several dozen off-year and special elections that have shown dramatic shifts toward the Democrats.  While there have been a few that have shown shifts toward the Republicans, the vast majority have shifted D-ward.  In conjunction with the generic ballot polls, which have historically had good predictive value, thinks look bleak for the R's at this point.  There is still a lot of time left and things could change; but if current indications continue, election night 2018 will not be a happy time for Republicans.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #464 on: December 25, 2017, 07:11:17 PM »

It didn't take everything the Democratic Party has considering that the national party had no involvement. The problem for Republicans is that Democrats have easier opportunities than this one against Republicans who aren't like Moore.
Doimper
Doctor Imperialism

« Reply #465 on: December 25, 2017, 08:09:36 PM »
« Edited: December 25, 2017, 08:14:36 PM by Doctor Imperialism »

It didn't take everything the Democratic Party has considering that the national party had no involvement.

What? The DNC was heavily involved, Ellison and Perez were both on the ground in Alabama towards the end. They just learned their lesson from GA-06 and made sure that DNC investment in the race wasn't very publicized.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #466 on: December 25, 2017, 08:15:03 PM »
« Edited: December 25, 2017, 08:16:53 PM by Invisible Obama »

It didn't take everything the Democratic Party has considering that the national party had no involvement.

What? The DNC was heavily involved, Ellison and Perez were both on the ground in Alabama towards the end. They just learned their lesson from GA-06 and made sure it wasn't very publicized.

If I'm correct, the DSCC was not running ads for Jones and every ad was directly from Jones campaign. Even if there was minimal involvement, it's a stretch to say that it took the Democratic Party everything it had to win the race.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #467 on: December 25, 2017, 09:37:43 PM »

Well, firstly we have an early Christmas present in the form of Doug Jones winning a solid victory in a State, where nobody expected it to be a race within 8-10 points at the best.

Also, we had a Democrat who ran explicitly as a Liberal Democrat basically not conceding an inch on being pro LGBTQ equality, Pro-Choice, and economic populist and progressive.

I have no doubt that a Democrat who would have run as a "Cultural Conservative" would likely have performed much better among Republican and Republican-Leaning Social Conservative voters against Roy Moore.

What I doubt is that a "Conservative Democrat" would have been able to to mobilize the Democratic base in Alabama the way that Doug Jones did.

Alabama just elected a Liberal Democrat as the next Senator from their Great State.... allow that concept to sink in for a moment.

Sure Doug Jones isn't a crazy "lock up your guns type guy", but hell neither are many of my friends and family members in small-town and rural Oregon, who regularly vote Democrat.

Still as a top law enforcement guy, he's definitely in favor of common sense Gun Reform, to close the loopholes that allow the bad guys easy access to weapons that they use to commit their violent crimes.

Doug Jones passed the 'Bama sniff test to flip enough solid 'Pub voters in the Upper-Income White precincts of Mobile and Baldwin County, not to mention suburban Birmingham and the Auto factory towns elsewhere in the State.

Vern
vern1988
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #468 on: December 25, 2017, 09:54:08 PM »

You guys are so blind to what I am saying. Doug Jones only won because Roy Moore is a child rapist. If another candidate was on the ballot he would have lost badly. This race had nothing to do with people not liking republicans and wanting change or whatever. It was all about Roy Moore and his actions.
TexArkana
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #469 on: December 25, 2017, 10:01:58 PM »

You guys are so blind to what I am saying. Doug Jones only won because Roy Moore is a child rapist. If another candidate was on the ballot he would have lost badly. This race had nothing to do with people not liking republicans and wanting change or whatever. It was all about Roy Moore and his actions.
I think Moore would've won if Clinton was in the White House right now, as Republican voters would've been more energized and seen him as a check on her "liberal" policies.
Vern
vern1988
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #470 on: December 25, 2017, 10:04:19 PM »

I think Moore would've won if Clinton was in the White House right now, as Republican voters would've been more energized and seen him as a check on her "liberal" policies.

Maybe, but not by much.
America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
« Reply #471 on: December 25, 2017, 10:07:57 PM »

Even if Republicans had nominated a normal candidate, Jones wouldn't have lost by more than 10 points. Which for a Democrat in Alabama would have been an amazing result.

Jones would have lost by like 20% against Strange.

Clinton would not have appointed Sessions as Attorney General so this election would not have happened in that case.  Your point is invalid.
Vern
vern1988
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #472 on: December 25, 2017, 10:11:57 PM »

And lets just make it clear, I do not think that republican will make big gain in 2018, nor do I believe Democrats will. I think 2018 will be a wash of an election.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #473 on: December 25, 2017, 10:33:27 PM »

But considering partisan polarization it is still quite a feat that Jones managed to break through.
TexArkana
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #474 on: December 25, 2017, 10:39:11 PM »

Jones would have lost by like 20% against Strange.

Clinton would not have appointed Sessions as Attorney General so this election would not have happened in that case.  Your point is invalid.
My God, how did I overlook that part?
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 ... 27  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies