ALEA IACTA EST: A Roman Republic Game (Senate Thread)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 10, 2024, 04:36:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  ALEA IACTA EST: A Roman Republic Game (Senate Thread)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: ALEA IACTA EST: A Roman Republic Game (Senate Thread)  (Read 4186 times)
Huey Long is a Republican
New Tennessean Politician
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2017, 03:33:16 AM »

An envoy from King Cotys I of Thrace has appeared in the Roman Senate. Though his reason for being here is unknown,, many believe it has to do with the Dacia problem.

Dear Senators of Rome,

My King and your client, Cotys I of Thrace, requests at the most two things:

1. At the most 2 legions to aid us in not just halting the Dacian tribes to the North, but conquering them as well.

2. A mutual assurance treaty that Rome is to not attempt to annex the kingdom of Thrace for, at the most, 50 years. If a Roman General goes rogue in that period, he should be stripped of his duties and the kingdom of Thrace should be restored.

In return, My king offers you 4 things that may be able to help you greatly in the future:

1. 25%-50% of all the wealth earned from Conquering Dacia, for their lands are large and wealthy and giving it your own Economy may help it far more than ever.

2. Military Access of any and all kind in the kingdom of Thrace without the threat of Declaring war on one another for 25 years, though this will be a mere formality.

3. My king's brothers and son will be sent to Rome to learn the ways of the Roman and be trained as well as deployed as Auxiliary for 24 years once they reach the age of 16.

4. A re-assurance Treaty that Thrace will not try to rebel against Rome for 50 years to go along with the Roman invasion treaty.

The choice is up to you fair Senate. Whatever you choose will decide Thrace's future fate. My king hopes you will helpful with him, However.
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2017, 01:18:50 PM »
« Edited: December 23, 2017, 04:08:40 PM by DKrol »

On Motion N°7, I offer my support. Clodius has long been a plague on our city and our Republic. While my dictatorship, which I have fully renounced any claim to, took massive steps to damage his standing and fracture his gangs and their vice-hold, his very being alive is a threat. He must be dealt with quickly, before his forces are able to rebuild.

Motion N°8:
Introduced by proconsul G. Pompeius Magnus

You must be logged in to read this quote.
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2017, 01:54:01 PM »

Motion N°9
Introduced by proconsul G. Pompeius Magnus, on behalf of King Cotys I of Thrace

Motion N°10
Introduced by proconsul G. Pompeius Magnus, on behalf of King Cotys I of Thrace

YaBB God
United States

« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2017, 02:01:17 PM »
« Edited: December 23, 2017, 02:37:27 PM by New Tennessean Politician »

King Cotys I of Thrace shall declare their support for P. Servilius Vatia Isauricus and M. Claudius Marcellus to serve as Consul, with the most experienced of the two aiding us in Dacia.
At-Large Senator LouisvilleThunder
LouisvilleThunder
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: 1.74

P P P
« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2017, 05:06:51 PM »
« Edited: December 26, 2017, 01:11:22 PM by Representative LouisvilleThunder »

Motion N°11
Introduced by Proconsul Marcus Licinius Crassus

YPestis25

Political Matrix
E: -4.65, S: -6.09

« Reply #30 on: December 25, 2017, 09:01:55 PM »
« Edited: December 25, 2017, 09:39:41 PM by YPestis25 »

I stand in favor of Motions 9 and 10. We must ensure that our client's territorial integrity is secure. Furthermore, the Dacian campaign is an excellent opportunity to secure our Greek holdings from raids from the north.
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #31 on: December 25, 2017, 09:05:35 PM »

I must stand opposed to Motions 9 and 10. How can we let a foreign power dictate to us our foreign policy? And not only that, but Thrace seeks to have two Roman legions deployed to their defense. Tell me Senators, what benefit does this give to our great Republic. Should Thrace consider making itself a client state of our Republic, perhaps then we can discuss sending legions to their defense.

OOC: Thrace is actually a Client state of the Republic.

My king, Cotys I of Thrace, has offered you his brothers and his son as Auxillary recruits for your legions and half of all wealth gained from conquering Dacia in return for the treaty and the aid. Thrace was a traitor a hundred years ago, but now, we always pay back those who help and aid us with what we promised then.
YPestis25

Political Matrix

« Reply #32 on: December 25, 2017, 09:38:45 PM »

I must stand opposed to Motions 9 and 10. How can we let a foreign power dictate to us our foreign policy? And not only that, but Thrace seeks to have two Roman legions deployed to their defense. Tell me Senators, what benefit does this give to our great Republic. Should Thrace consider making itself a client state of our Republic, perhaps then we can discuss sending legions to their defense.

My king, Cotys I of Thrace, has offered you his brothers and his son as Auxillary recruits for your legions and half of all wealth gained from conquering Dacia in return for the treaty and the aid. Thrace was a traitor a hundred years ago, but now, we always pay back those who help and aid us with what we promised then.

OOC: Whoops, I'll edit my post. I need to do my research
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #33 on: December 25, 2017, 09:39:40 PM »

OOC: Whoops, I'll edit my post. I need to do my research

OOC: that is fine, my friend
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2018, 02:37:05 PM »

Q. Caecilius Metellus Scipio (Consul): Order! No more motions will be accepted at this point.Voting is open on the following motions:

Introduced by the consul T. Annius Milo:

Motion N°7:

Introduced by proconsul G. Pompeius Magnus:

Motion N°8:

Introduced by proconsul G. Pompeius Magnus, on behalf of King Cotys I of Thrace:

Motion N°9:

Introduced by proconsul G. Pompeius Magnus, on behalf of King Cotys I of Thrace:

Motion N°10:

Introduced by Proconsul Marcus Licinius Crassus:

Motion N°11:
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #35 on: January 03, 2018, 09:05:15 PM »

On Motion N°7, I vote aye and strongly encourage all honorable men to do so as well.

On Motion N°8, I vote aye.

On Motion N°9, I vote aye.

On Motion N°10, I vote aye.

On Motion N°11, I vote aye.

YPestis25

Political Matrix

« Reply #36 on: January 04, 2018, 11:26:48 PM »

On Motion N°7, on this motion I vote aye. Clodius and his band of violent thugs have been a threat to our Republic for too long. I join my friend Pompey in supporting the motion.

On Motion N°8, on this motion I must regretfully vote nay and I would urge all other senators to do so as well. Pompey Magnus has been a capable and honorable Consul and Dictator. Pompey's son is certainly competent enough to lead our armies, however I must oppose this due to the timing. To have an appointment come so close on the heels of Pompey Magnus stepping down from the dictatorship and vacating his Consulship puts us in a dangerous position of legitimizing hereditary positions in our Republic.

On Motion N°9, on this motion I vote aye.

On Motion N°10, on this motion I vote aye.

On Motion N°11, on this motion I vote nay. For the Senate to legitimize again our legions being paid by their commanders instead of by the state treasury sets a dangerous precedent. For with the pay comes loyalty, and there may one day come a time when this Senate must face a vengeful army led by a commander with that army's loyalty.
At-Large Senator LouisvilleThunder
LouisvilleThunder
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: 1.74

P P P
« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2018, 07:54:19 AM »

On Motion N°7, I vote nay.

On Motion N°8, I vote aye.

On Motion N°9, I vote aye.

On Motion N°10, I vote nay.

On Motion N°11, I vote aye.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #38 on: January 05, 2018, 10:03:30 AM »

A late messenger from the prisoner Publius Clodius appears.

“Publius Clodius Pulcher requests a delay on Motion seven until such time as a trial may be held before the Roman people. To declare guilt without a trial is a greater violation of Roman law than that committed by the men who have made the streets of Rome run red with blood. We all know the men I mean, and these same men seem to violate the law once more. No honorable men should vote for my guilt without a fair trial.”
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #39 on: January 09, 2018, 06:25:17 PM »

T. Annius Milo (Consul): Order! The results are as follows:

Motion N°7:

This motion is narrowly passed.

Motion N°8:

This motion is narrowly passed.

Motion N°9:

This motion is passed with a reasonable majority.

Motion N°10:

Motion N°11:

Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2018, 03:56:20 AM »

Motion N°12:

Introduced by the consul Q. Caecilius Metellus Scipio:

Motion N°13:

Introduced by P. Vatinius:

windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2018, 03:19:25 PM »
« Edited: January 13, 2018, 03:24:30 PM by Vercingetorix »

Announcement from Vercingetorix (who sent this message via an ambassador)

Roman Senators,

General Pompei the youngest just made me an offer that I believe I have to give the answer to the legislative body of the Roman Empire, forgive me if I'm misunderstanding the roman institutions.

As I suppose this offer emanated from this body, I will still make you remind what through him you proposed me. Pompei proposed me to become the "King of Gaul" if I helped him by coordinating our attacks against Caesar. Gaul would then be a vassal of the Roman Empire with a special statut.

So now let me give you my answer:
- I AM NOT trying to rule or to become King of Gaul, this is not my goal. My only desire is to repeal the current invasion Gaul is currently facing from your armies. I think this is a point that needed to be clarified.

-So, I will REFUSE this offer. My goal is to make Gaul free of Romans, not it becoming a puppet of the Roman Empire.

I will refuse any offers that would not recognize the independence of Gaul.

Vercingetorix
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #42 on: January 13, 2018, 03:28:47 PM »

Ambassador from King Cotys I of Thrace arrives in the Senate

Senate of Rome, we beg of you to not repeal the legions you have in Dacia with my own forces lest you face the chance of Barbarian invasion in Greece. All Thrace will request is one last legion and one of your best commanders to help quash King Burebista of Dacia once and for all as well as the permission to Ally with the Bosporus Kingdom so all three of us can properly co-ordinate and defeat Burebista as one. In return for your help, Thrace shall give you 1/4th to half of all the wealth we gain from conquering Dacia to aid in your civil war as well as your own your legions returning, now battle hardened, and a force for 1000 Infantry of mine.

Senators of Rome, you must think about this carefully. If you reject, you might face a war with Gaul, Dacia, Parthia, Egypt, and Caesar, a threat you may not want to handle. You aid me and I shall keep my work

King Cotys I of Thrace
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #43 on: January 13, 2018, 03:30:58 PM »

Pompey the Young, Speaking through a friendly Senator

On Motion N°12, I stand in support. Caesar destroyed the long-standing agreement between himself and my father, turned his back on the Senate, and launched Rome into a Civil War the likes of which have not been seen before.

On Motion N°13, I stand in firm opposition. Just six months ago, the Senate gave me my command. My father was a friend of the Senate and I intend to carry on that tradition of my noble house.

On the Comments of the Barbarian Vercingetorix, I am shocked. This is a bold accusation from a barbarian war lord that is no more than a lie. A complete and total lie. I call on the noble Senators, many of you who knew my beloved father and his dedication to Rome, to cast aside the remarks of this barbarian ambassador. I knew my father well, and I am certain that his dedication to Rome and the Senate was too great for him to ever consider such a arrangement. Take not my word for it. I charge the ambassador to produce evidence -and evidence - of his claim, a certified document in my father's own hand. Knowing that he cannot, I call on the Senate once more to reject his remarks and dismiss the ambassador.

Motion N°14

Introduced by Imperator Gn. Pompeius Magnus the Younger:

windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #44 on: January 13, 2018, 03:40:37 PM »

I didn't wish to cause any troubles, but just to clarify. Indeed, his deceased father Pompei never made me this offer, this offer originated from his son, Pompei the younger.

I hope this is well understood now that I will never accept any offer that make Gaul a puppet.

Vercingetorix
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #45 on: January 13, 2018, 03:48:08 PM »

The lies of the barbarian grow even bolder. I have been too preoccupied morning the loss of my father to have sent such a communique to a Gaulian warlord, if my loyalty to Rome wasn't reason enough. I denounce his lies and once more call on him to provide proof.
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #46 on: January 14, 2018, 06:57:48 PM »

Motion N°15

Introduced by Imperator Gn. Pompeius Magnus the Younger:

Garlan Gunter
United Kingdom

« Reply #47 on: January 18, 2018, 11:30:41 AM »

G. Valerius Catullus addresses the Senate, sent with a message from Ptolemy XII of Egypt

The last Egyptian embassy had come with a prince, an honour guard and a chest of gold. This one, in stormier times, constitutes a single, albeit gifted, Roman equestrian with a somewhat chequered reputation...

"ROMANS! Countrymen! Critics! I come from the King of Egypt, but it is my first wish to discuss one of our own - the pretty boy - the son of Lesbos - the ravisher of sisters - the defiler of the Good Goddess - the plaything of Caitline and the arsonist of the East - I refer of course to P. Clodius Pulcher!

"Now I knew Clodius, and well enough - though not near as well as some I could mention, aye, and of both sexes - the wife of the rebel Caesar, for one - a near Clodian relation and Metellan matron, for another...now wed, they say, to another rebel, one M. Antonius, one of the few Romans foolish and depraved enough still to espouse Clodius's cause after his murder of the hero Pompey...

"All this I know and heard and saw and remember, conscript fathers, and I know you do too, for you denounced the man as an enemy of Rome, a vile and lawless creature fit to be hunted as a beast. Well, then, should we not recall that it was this pretty animal, too, that once incited the capture of Cyprus and the murder of its Ptolemy?

"The current Ptolemy bids me inform you that I arrived along with the first shipment of Egyptian grain bound for Cyprus for six months. He swears more will follow if his possession of Cyprus is accepted. Whether you choose to put food in our people's bellies or not is of small concern to a poet like me...but it may interest the hungry mob out there, a mob that otherwise could well be tempted by the lies of Curio or even of Caesar.

"King Ptolemy urges a lasting peace, and intends to support his departed friend's honoured son, Pompey the Younger, and the legal standing of the Senate against gangs like the scum who wounded his son. As to Clodius, he has taken various counsels regarding the outlaw's fate from his chiefest friends of our nation and intends soon to decide it.

"And as for me - I am delighted to be back in the most truly alive city upon earth!"
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #48 on: January 19, 2018, 11:13:03 PM »

Introduced by L. Calpurnius Piso:

Motion No. 16:

The Senate calls for 2 legions to be raised from the loyal provinces and to be deployed to Italy. These legions will be placed under the command of someone appointed by the Senate once they are raised.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #49 on: January 23, 2018, 10:19:51 AM »

Senate voting is open. Debate may also continue. Further motions are not to be accepted.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies