Impact of California being the third primary
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 07:00:19 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Impact of California being the third primary
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Impact of California being the third primary  (Read 410 times)
SKY
Rookie
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 07, 2017, 01:51:59 PM »

I think this gives a huge boost to the chances of either Kamala Harris or Gavin Newsom if they choose to jump in. Over time, this will be the key state as it will be the largest player in the game prior to Super Tuesday and candidates will be looking to ride the momentum of a win in California to a big win come ST.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2017, 01:56:00 PM »

Over time, this will be the key state as it will be the largest player in the game prior to Super Tuesday

I think you have your facts wrong.  California is scheduled for March 3rd, which *is* Super Tuesday.  Same day as the primaries for TX, TN, VA, MA, etc.  So it's not the third primary.  Iowa, NH, Nevada, and South Carolina go first.
King Lear
Russian Federation

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2017, 03:34:21 PM »

I was very pleased to see my home state of California move it’s primary to Super Tuesday finally my state can have a real impact on who gets nominated instead of being a mere afterthought at the end of the calendar.
SKY
Rookie
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2017, 04:31:33 PM »

Over time, this will be the key state as it will be the largest player in the game prior to Super Tuesday

I think you have your facts wrong.  California is scheduled for March 3rd, which *is* Super Tuesday.  Same day as the primaries for TX, TN, VA, MA, etc.  So it's not the third primary.  Iowa, NH, Nevada, and South Carolina go first.

I was mistaken - however, how do you think this will shift things? A ton of delegates up for grabs that historically have been out of the question. It is a state that is true blue and skews far left.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2017, 05:33:58 PM »

I was mistaken - however, how do you think this will shift things? A ton of delegates up for grabs that historically have been out of the question. It is a state that is true blue and skews far left.

I'm not sure about "historically out of the question".  California also voted on Super Tuesday in 2000, 2004, and 2008.  2016 is the only recent open Democratic contest in which it voted late.  And even in years where it votes late, those delegates still exist.  It's just that they're often not allocated until the contest is effectively over.

Compared to the scenario where it votes late though, I think CA voting earlier marginally helps whoever is most likely to win there (presumably Harris?), as well as marginally increasing the chances of a contested convention, since there could easily still be 3 or 4 candidates in the race on Super Tuesday, whereas by June it would more likely be down to 1 or 2.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2017, 08:50:51 PM »

It's been moved up because it looks like Harris will run.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2017, 11:21:55 PM »

I think you have your facts wrong.  California is scheduled for March 3rd, which *is* Super Tuesday.  Same day as the primaries for TX, TN, VA, MA, etc.  So it's not the third primary.  Iowa, NH, Nevada, and South Carolina go first.

It's tied for the 3rd primary, if by primary you don't include caucus.

Obviously this was designed to help Harris. While it probably won't totally screw Bernie, it would completely screw a lesser knowing insurgent progressive candidate. Shame on the California Democratic party for being such hacks.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies