Harassment Mega Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 07, 2024, 05:04:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Harassment Mega Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11
Author Topic: Harassment Mega Thread  (Read 25212 times)
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #175 on: December 15, 2017, 03:19:13 PM »

Yep, it's Hastings.

http://www.rollcall.com/news/politics/alcee-hastings-sexual-harassment?utm_content=buffer2c600&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

The Treasury Department paid $220,000 in a previously undisclosed agreement to settle a lawsuit alleging sexual harassment that involved Florida Democrat Alcee L. Hastings, according to documents obtained by Roll Call.

Winsome Packer, a former staff member of a congressional commission that promotes international human rights, said in documents that the congressman touched her, made unwanted sexual advances, and threatened her job. At the time, Hastings was the chairman of the Commission on Security and Cooperation in Europe, where Packer worked.

FTR, apparently this is coincidental, the coming allegations against a top Dem weren’t the ones about Hastings.

Apparently it was Bobby Scott (who is the ranking member on the House Education and Workforce Committee).

http://wavy.com/2017/12/15/former-legislative-aide-accuses-congressman-bobby-scott-of-inappropriate-touching/
King Lear
Russian Federation

« Reply #176 on: December 15, 2017, 07:26:01 PM »

Democrats better shut down this #metoo movement before it takes out all of our male senators and congressmen. We must not let a small, irellevant, and obnoxious group of people destroy the oldest political party in the world that has been fighting aganst corporate interest and for the working class since 1828.
America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
« Reply #177 on: December 15, 2017, 07:36:18 PM »

Democrats better shut down this #metoo movement before it takes out all of our male senators and congressmen. We must not let a small, irellevant, and obnoxious group of people destroy the oldest political party in the world that has been fighting aganst corporate interest and for the working class since 1828.

Democrats were mostly evil starting in its formation all the way throughout the 1950s.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #178 on: December 15, 2017, 07:39:34 PM »

Just a quick recap of where we are
As of 0100 Eastern, 14 December 2017.

Executive

Donald Trump (POTUS) – D

U.S. Senators

Al Franken (D-MN) – R

U.S. Representatives

John Conyers (D-MI) – R (5 December)
Ruben Kihuen (D-NV) – D
Blake Farenthold (R-TX) – I
Trent Franks (R-AZ) – R (8 December)
Alcee Hastings (D-FL) – A

State legislators

Dan Johnson, (R, Kentucky state legislature... 13 December) -- S

Candidates

Roy Moore(R-AL-Senate) – F

Key
A – Accused, awaiting response
C – Expected to continue in office.
D – Denying
E – Exonerated
F -  Failed to win office he was seeking due to electoral defeat
G – Admitted guilt, no response re: removal/resignation
I – Being investigated
P – Partially admitted guilt
R – Resigned/Dropped out
S -- Suicide in disgrace
T – Retiring after term
X – Expelled from chamber/office/race

Italics refers to something that will happen, so I means 'will be investigated', X means expulsion will be voted on, etc.

Note the new, grim category.

What used to be tolerated (heterosexual abuse of a minor) back in the 1980s is now good cause to end a political career.   

Okay, let's not do that. It may be silly, but I don't want to make suicide a category, as it implies there will be more, and I don't think that's an outcome we should ever be rooting for.

Also, I'm not counting state legislators on this list, as there are probably going to be too many to keep track of. Only holders of and candidates for congressional or statewide office or larger.
[/quote]

I had it only because it was so extreme. No further additions to this category are welcome. God help him and his family.

I do not endorse suicide. I have been on the brink for reasons having nothing to do with personal disgrace.  I had made great sacrifices to give comfort to two parents with degenerative diseases, and my life was ruined.  There is noting funny about suicide.

State legislators? in view of the large number of high-ranking politicians already on the list, we do not need them as a category.  

pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #179 on: December 15, 2017, 07:53:50 PM »

The first woman here!

Kansas Dem Andrea Ramsey, accused of sexual harassment, will drop out of U.S. House race

http://www.mcclatchydc.com/news/nation-world/national/article189931514.html
Strudelcutie4427
Singletxguyforfun
United States

« Reply #180 on: December 15, 2017, 08:28:02 PM »

There’s a report of a high number of people in congress who might resign next week
Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 9.53, S: 10.54

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #181 on: December 15, 2017, 08:33:30 PM »

What the hell is wrong with you? Franken grabbed a bunch of random woman's butts. He shouldn't be a dogcatcher, let alone a united states senator.

Woman are not "obnoxious" for saying they've been sexually abused.
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #182 on: December 15, 2017, 08:39:14 PM »

There’s a report of a high number of people in congress who might resign next week

C'mon Pelosi
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #183 on: December 15, 2017, 08:40:23 PM »

Source?
Strudelcutie4427
Singletxguyforfun
United States

« Reply #184 on: December 15, 2017, 08:43:13 PM »

Source?

https://www.dailywire.com/news/24742/flood-gates-open-congress-be-rocked-next-72-hours-ryan-saavedra
LimoLiberal
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.71, S: -4.00

« Reply #185 on: December 15, 2017, 08:44:31 PM »

Yep, it's Hastings.

http://www.rollcall.com/news/politics/alcee-hastings-sexual-harassment?utm_content=buffer2c600&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

The Treasury Department paid $220,000 in a previously undisclosed agreement to settle a lawsuit alleging sexual harassment that involved Florida Democrat Alcee L. Hastings, according to documents obtained by Roll Call.

Winsome Packer, a former staff member of a congressional commission that promotes international human rights, said in documents that the congressman touched her, made unwanted sexual advances, and threatened her job. At the time, Hastings was the chairman of the Commission on Security and Cooperation in Europe, where Packer worked.

FTR, apparently this is coincidental, the coming allegations against a top Dem weren’t the ones about Hastings.

Apparently it was Bobby Scott (who is the ranking member on the House Education and Workforce Committee).

http://wavy.com/2017/12/15/former-legislative-aide-accuses-congressman-bobby-scott-of-inappropriate-touching/

The allegations against Scott do not seem credible at all.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #186 on: December 15, 2017, 09:17:44 PM »
« Edited: December 15, 2017, 09:24:20 PM by We Have A Pope »

Yep, it's Hastings.

I see no reason not to believe the accuser, but I also suspect more women will come forward if its true.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #187 on: December 16, 2017, 03:51:29 AM »

Yep, it's Hastings.

I see no reason not to believe the accuser, but I also suspect more women will come forward if its true.

The media seem to ignore this story. Maybe after Cernovich's attempt to frame Schumer they have become more gun shy when it comes to cases like that.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #188 on: December 16, 2017, 08:47:50 AM »

Yep, it's Hastings.

The media seem to ignore this story. Maybe after Cernovich's attempt to frame Schumer they have become more gun shy when it comes to cases like that.

I could see that
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #189 on: December 16, 2017, 12:39:01 PM »

The first woman here!

Kansas Dem Andrea Ramsey, accused of sexual harassment, will drop out of U.S. House race

She seems awful. Good riddance.
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #190 on: December 16, 2017, 05:12:16 PM »

The first woman here!

She seems awful. Good riddance.
America's Sweetheart ❤/𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕭𝖔𝖔𝖙𝖞 𝖂𝖆𝖗𝖗𝖎𝖔𝖗
TexArkana
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #191 on: December 16, 2017, 05:14:12 PM »

What. the. f**k.
Fuzzy Bear Loves Christian Missionaries
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #192 on: December 16, 2017, 08:40:33 PM »
« Edited: December 16, 2017, 08:43:20 PM by Fuzzy Bear »

Yep, it's Hastings.

By the time this thing runs its course, it will be so out of control in terms of ruining the reputations of folks who don't deserve it.  

It has become too easy to ruin a reputation, and too tempting for folks who fund campaigns (or folks who wish to challenge incumbents) to manufacture allegations out of whole cloth.

This whole "Me-Too" movement was, at least in part, an attempt to drive Trump out of office.  Instead, Democratic Party icons are taking hits.  Someone predicted this would happen in another thread, and I'm watiching it before my eyes.

The way to prevent this, of course, is to report this to law enforcement immediately.  Then, it's documented.  Of course, these victims are "career minded" and don't want to damage their careers, either, so they lay low, or take a settlement.  That might be OK for a civil matter, where a perv boss, constantly makes comments about one's figure, how hot they are, etc, but when it gets to be hands on, the only thing that deters folks is LAW ENFORCEMENT.  And that's what SHOULD happen.  

I must confess that I look askance of someone not coming forward to report to law enforcement someone who 'grabs or touches in a lewd and unwelcome way, but does so years later and gets fame and celebrity.  I don't want to demean legitimate victims, and especially victims who have truly been intimidated into silence.  But I don't see that in all of the victims.  In some, I see calculating behavior, and I must confess that I have more empathy for the injured and traumatized than I do for the calculating and opportunistic, and this movement has spawned a few of the letter.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #193 on: December 16, 2017, 09:00:47 PM »

Yep, it's Hastings.

By the time this thing runs its course, it will be so out of control in terms of ruining the reputations of folks who don't deserve it.  

It has become too easy to ruin a reputation, and too tempting for folks who fund campaigns (or folks who wish to challenge incumbents) to manufacture allegations out of whole cloth.

This whole "Me-Too" movement was, at least in part, an attempt to drive Trump out of office.  Instead, Democratic Party icons are taking hits.  Someone predicted this would happen in another thread, and I'm watiching it before my eyes.

The way to prevent this, of course, is to report this to law enforcement immediately.  Then, it's documented.  Of course, these victims are "career minded" and don't want to damage their careers, either, so they lay low, or take a settlement.  That might be OK for a civil matter, where a perv boss, constantly makes comments about one's figure, how hot they are, etc, but when it gets to be hands on, the only thing that deters folks is LAW ENFORCEMENT.  And that's what SHOULD happen.  

I must confess that I look askance of someone not coming forward to report to law enforcement someone who 'grabs or touches in a lewd and unwelcome way, but does so years later and gets fame and celebrity.  I don't want to demean legitimate victims, and especially victims who have truly been intimidated into silence.  But I don't see that in all of the victims.  In some, I see calculating behavior, and I must confess that I have more empathy for the injured and traumatized than I do for the calculating and opportunistic, and this movement has spawned a few of the letter.

The "fame and celebrity" you speak of that they usually get is largely negative. They wind up strongly suspected or even openly accused by about half the population, millions of people, as being Liars or gold diggers of some sort. Your post is proof of that. In many cases these Revelations result Inn at minimum vicious online harassment and threats that would make any member of family terrified. It walking groups in their professional lives where now they're seen as not a team player or a litigation bomb waiting to go off because they didn't like being wrestled to the ground and having their boss masturbate on them. So yeah, the fame and fortune you and others and vision is pretty damned oversold, fuzzy.

Incidentally, what specific individuals to Bolivar of the line gold digger variety which you believe this movement has spawned, to use your words?
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #194 on: December 16, 2017, 09:25:06 PM »

Yep, it's Hastings.

The "fame and celebrity" you speak of that they usually get is largely negative. They wind up strongly suspected or even openly accused by about half the population, millions of people, as being Liars or gold diggers of some sort. Your post is proof of that. In many cases these Revelations result Inn at minimum vicious online harassment and threats that would make any member of family terrified. It walking groups in their professional lives where now they're seen as not a team player or a litigation bomb waiting to go off because they didn't like being wrestled to the ground and having their boss masturbate on them. So yeah, the fame and fortune you and others and vision is pretty damned oversold, fuzzy.

Incidentally, what specific individuals to Bolivar of the line gold digger variety which you believe this movement has spawned, to use your words?

The one against Rep. Bobby Scott (D-VA) seems rather lame, but more may be revealed. 

When this thing runs its course, there will be a significant number of less than credible accusers that will diminish the seriousness of those whose circumstances are truly compelling.  That's an inevitable consequence when you give credibility on demand to a parade of accusers, no matter how old the accusation, which is what is going on now.

Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #195 on: December 16, 2017, 09:36:16 PM »

Yep, it's Hastings.

The one against Rep. Bobby Scott (D-VA) seems rather lame, but more may be revealed. 

When this thing runs its course, there will be a significant number of less than credible accusers that will diminish the seriousness of those whose circumstances are truly compelling.  That's an inevitable consequence when you give credibility on demand to a parade of accusers, no matter how old the accusation, which is what is going on now.

Jesus, fuzzy bear. Bobby Scott, which other people also indicated may sound week, I'm not familiar with them, and on that you're willing to talk about the dozens and dozens and dozens of women that have come forward against Weinstein, Roy Moore, Conyers, etc etc etc? Why not just say that you have a sh**tload more concern 4 1 person having sexual harassment charges against them even exaggerated driving scene hundred people come forward and achieving Justice against these scumbag predators.

. I'm not supporting either Predators or false accusations here. However, if you reread your post will look in the mirror I hope you discover you have a very f*****-up sense of priorities here

Let me make it clear in simple terms for you. This wave of people exposing serial sexual harassment by those in power is a really really good and long overdue thing. Not the most hardcore feminist, outside of the mindset Fundamentalist have of what a feminist constitutes, want any man wrongfully accused of sexual harassment. Overly fret about these vast wave of Revelations because the one, the most recent, might seem possibly a little off, is just bizarre
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #196 on: December 16, 2017, 10:23:45 PM »

Apparently Chris Matthews had to make a settlement back in the 90's but was only for inappropriate jokes to a staffer https://mobile.twitter.com/yashar/status/942222046762864640
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #197 on: December 17, 2017, 07:53:26 AM »

Apparently Chris Matthews had to make a settlement back in the 90's but was only for inappropriate jokes to a staffer https://mobile.twitter.com/yashar/status/942222046762864640

This is what I'm talking about.  Elevating these things to the level of Roy Moore.

We'll see how this plays out 
BudgieForce
superbudgie1582
YaBB God

« Reply #198 on: December 17, 2017, 08:43:48 AM »

An inappropriate joke about a coworker is bad, and proper actions were taken 18 years ago. I dont think its all that big of a deal though.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #199 on: December 17, 2017, 10:16:22 AM »

This is what I'm talking about.  Elevating these things to the level of Roy Moore.

We'll see how this plays out 

But I don’t think most folks are elevating this to the same level as Roy Moore.  This stuff is all bad, but obviously there are also gradations.  Sexual assault is worse than some creep making disgusting comments as so on; I think most realize that, but the point is that despite the gradations none of this behavior is acceptable.  Moreover, consider that the source here is the dailycaller, o/c they’re gonna try to exaggerate and sensationalize, that’s kinda what they do. 

OTOH, I wouldn’t be the least bit surprised if Matthews has a number of these sorts of settlements (though obviously I don’t know).  He can get really creepy on air with women and was especially bad about this from like 2004-2008 (incidents with Kerry Washington and Erin Burnett come to mind, the latter being bad enough that he’d probably be immediately fired if he talked to a female reporter that way on-air today).
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies