Chuck Grassely derides all who spend their money on "women, booze and movies"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 08:10:46 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Chuck Grassely derides all who spend their money on "women, booze and movies"
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Chuck Grassely derides all who spend their money on "women, booze and movies"  (Read 1186 times)
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 04, 2017, 11:06:49 PM »

https://www.politico.com/story/2017/12/03/grassley-tax-booze-women-movies-277764

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I don't spend all my money on women, booze or movies...in fact, most of it goes to food.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2017, 11:10:11 PM »

https://www.politico.com/story/2017/12/03/grassley-tax-booze-women-movies-277764

I don't spend all my money on women, booze or movies...in fact, most of it goes to food.

See! You should be investing that money, not spending it on frivolous stuff like food.
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2017, 11:10:26 PM »

How do these old bastards keep getting re-elected?
Attorney General, Senator-Elect, & Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2017, 11:15:14 PM »

How do these old bastards keep getting re-elected?

For Grassley, it's a combination of Longtime incumbency, saying the right things on Farmer's Issues, and the fact that he visits all 99 Iowa counties at least once a year.

Unapologetic Chinaperson
nj_dem

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2017, 11:46:46 PM »

Reminds me of the old anti-Irish slur "rum, Romanism, and rebellion" in both meter and sentiment. Only the people have changed.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2017, 11:48:35 PM »

Lol, this guy lives in the middle ages.
Val
FrankenFanGirl
Rookie
United States

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2017, 03:49:58 PM »

As they give a private jet tax deduction.... 🙄
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2017, 03:57:31 PM »

So saying it is better for people to invest their money rather than being profligate with it is offensive now or something?
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2017, 04:31:55 PM »

So saying it is better for people to invest their money rather than being profligate with it is offensive now or something?
You are so dense.  There is an obvious, elementary difference between "save and invest your money instead of spending it on the whims of desire" and

"The class of people benefiting from the reduction of the estate tax are the wise ones who invest while everybody else just spends everything they have on booze and women"

The ignorance and disconnect speak for themselves in what he said.  Your ignorance just compounded that and now we have like... a layer cake of ignorance a la shua.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2017, 04:33:33 PM »

Replace movies with clothes and this sounds like money well spent.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2017, 04:37:08 PM »

You are so dense.  There is an obvious, elementary difference between "save and invest your money instead of spending it on the whims of desire" and

"The class of people benefiting from the reduction of the estate tax are the wise ones who invest while everybody else just spends everything they have on booze and women"

The ignorance and disconnect speak for themselves in what he said.  Your ignorance just compounded that and now we have like... a layer cake of ignorance a la shua.

You are calling me dense only because you somehow completely missed the point Grassley was making.  He was not talking at all about one class of people vs another, he was talking about those people subject to the tax.  The idea that taxes make a difference in how people spend their money is a pretty basic one and I'm surprised you have not come across it before.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2017, 05:10:30 PM »

You are calling me dense only because you somehow completely missed the point Grassley was making.  He was not talking at all about one class of people vs another, he was talking about those people subject to the tax.  The idea that taxes make a difference in how people spend their money is a pretty basic one and I'm surprised you have not come across it before.
This is what you do every time.  You claim the person calling you out "missed the point".
People subject to the estate tax are literally a class of people and he uses "as opposed to" and then describes alleged behavior by another, much larger class of people "those who spend every darn penny"

Once again.   You are dense.  And the more you use the same rhetorical tricks like this, the more I just think you're an imposter.  I'm not sure how else I can put this.  I don't like you and I think you're dumb.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2017, 05:22:39 PM »
« Edited: December 05, 2017, 05:24:16 PM by shua »

This is what you do every time.  You claim the person calling you out "missed the point".
People subject to the estate tax are literally a class of people and he uses "as opposed to" and then describes alleged behavior by another, much larger class of people "those who spend every darn penny"

Once again.   You are dense.  And the more you use the same rhetorical tricks like this, the more I just think you're an imposter.  I'm not sure how else I can put this.  I don't like you and I think you're dumb.

Not everyone thinks entirely in terms of class.

Like you are telling me you literally do not understand that if you spend all your money you have less money to be taxed when you die?
Bismarck
Chancellor

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2017, 06:41:57 PM »

The comment was unartful but he clearly just meant that people shouldn’t be punished for saving rather than frivolous spending. Also as a side note,  many family farmers have to hire lawyers to get around the estate tax, so don’t count as being among those who pay it but are still very much affected by it.!
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2017, 08:19:13 PM »

Actually, spending money is far more economically beneficial than saving it.
America's Sweetheart ❤/𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕭𝖔𝖔𝖙𝖞 𝖂𝖆𝖗𝖗𝖎𝖔𝖗
TexArkana
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2017, 08:53:46 PM »

I spend my money on women, booze, and marijuana... so I hope I'm not one of those people he's deriding.
AtorBoltox

« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2017, 08:58:26 PM »

He shouldn’t attack his GOP colleagues like that
kyc0705

« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2017, 09:06:28 PM »

BREAKING: Chuck Grassley to propose constitutional amendments to repeal the 19th and 21st amendments, and mandate the Hays Code.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2017, 09:34:12 PM »

why this guy gotta deride, like, two thirds of my life style.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2017, 03:24:05 AM »

Clearly you should spend your money on PantsBurnLegWound.
mvd10
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: -2.61

« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2017, 05:11:22 AM »

A Dutch Labour party politician said the same about Southern Europeans lol Smiley
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2017, 06:28:10 AM »
« Edited: December 06, 2017, 06:31:23 AM by 136or142 »

A Liberal Party senior strategist here in Canada at the start of, I think it was the 2006 campaign, said that the Liberals should oppose tax cuts (I think it was a proposed Conservative cut to the GST) because people would just spend the money on "booze and popcorn."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In regards to Grassely's argument, it is a completely false claim that has been used to justify 'trickle down' economics.  Anybody who has understands the money creation process knows that money just needs to be placed in a bank for it to be lent out again (invested) and this happens via people saving their money but it also happens via people spending their money, and the person receiving that money then putting it in their bank account.  There is ZERO need to have millionaire savers to make investments in the economy.  Anybody who tells you otherwise is one of those conservatives who think, merely because they are a conservative, that they inherently understand economics, but, in fact, they are really showing their complete ignorance about one of the most fundamental aspects of macro-economics.

I understand that many start-ups these days are financed by investment banks or venture capitalists who prefer to receive large sums of money from a small number of financiers, but this is a chosen business model and is not inherently necessary to create a vibrant economy.

It is, of course, also far from true that only wealthy people create new businesses.  Many small businesses (and all new businesses start out as small businesses unless they are partnerships of already existing businesses or spin offs from existing divisions of companies)  are started out by people who have nothing but an innovative idea and a drive to take a risk and succeed, and are backed by 'the bank of mom and pop' or some such thing.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2017, 08:22:15 AM »

You're dense because you completely missed Grassley's point and don't realize it.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2017, 10:47:34 PM »

Why don't Democrats rename the Estate Tax the "Paris Hilton Tax" or the "Trust Fund Snotnose Tax"?

As to the question of folks' desire to give an inheritance to their kids, I would suggest that after a certain point, it's just winning the birth lottery.  If folks want to do stuff for their kids and grandkids, let them gift them stuff during their lifetimes. 
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies