Why do people think nuclear war is unwinnable?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 17, 2024, 08:07:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Why do people think nuclear war is unwinnable?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Why do people think nuclear war is unwinnable?  (Read 2586 times)
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2017, 09:38:18 PM »

Far smaller wars fought with far less destructive wars proved unwinnable. If one nuke goes off in the middle of a Chicago killing 1 million people it would be the worst event in U.S. history. The real question is, why are people suddenly so bloodthirsty?

Funny you mentioned this, Beet.

I was having a conversation the other day and I mentioned how cold and uncaring we used to be, compared to today.

I mean, consider during my Grandparents teen years, just two generations removed from me, the world situation of WW2. We dropped bombs over Tokyo at 7,000 feet. Tokyo was boiling. Literally. Dresden bombing. The Brits bombed by night, but America, hell, we did it in broad daylight. We just didn't give a crap.

Japanese Americans? Lock them up. Can't take the risk. That was the reality of the 1940s. We got a nuke? Drop it on Japan. No holds barred.

We considered not even allowing Germany to be a nation after the war. There were very frank and honest discussions in the White House as to whether or not Germany should even be allowed to be anything more than just an agricultural state. (Morgenthau Plan)

Roosevelt said, A better policy would have the Germans "fed three times a day with soup from Army soup kitchens" so "they will remember that experience the rest of their lives."

People on this message board from Germany should feel thankful that Truman even allowed Germany to be a country after the war.

You think we are bloodthirsty today? No way.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2017, 09:38:31 PM »

Most people still believe Mutually Assured Destruction is official US policy, for whatever reason.

It’s okay, if 20 cities are destroyed it’s just a flesh wound, the Libya intervention was worse! The important thing is to KILL.

I disagree with the existence of nuclear weapons, but the idea that one state using nuclear weapons in any way would automatically lead to every country jizzing their nukes all over the place is baloney.

No one knows what would happen. Anyone who claims they know with complete certainty what would happen is certainly a liar. The point is that any such scenario would be catastrophic beyond any any foreign policy action in recent memory.

The notion that "yuk yuk, well life on earth wouldn't be eliminated, ya yokels, so calm down" doesn't work.

Oh, come on Beet.  They're not saying we wouldn't get our hair mussed. But probably no more than ten to twenty million killed, tops. You know, depending on the breaks.
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2017, 09:40:27 PM »

Far smaller wars fought with far less destructive wars proved unwinnable. If one nuke goes off in the middle of a Chicago killing 1 million people it would be the worst event in U.S. history. The real question is, why are people suddenly so bloodthirsty?

I was having a conversation the other day and I mentioned how cold and uncaring we used to be, compared to today.

I mean, consider during my Grandparents teen years, just two generations removed from me, the world situation of WW2. We dropped bombs over Tokyo at 7,000 feet. Tokyo was boiling. Literally. Dresden bombing. The Brits bombed by night, but America, hell, we did it in broad daylight. We just didn't give a crap.

Japanese Americans? Lock them up. Can't take the risk. That was the reality of the 1940s. We got a nuke? Drop it on Japan. No holds barred.

We considered not even allowing Germany to be a nation after the war. There were very frank and honest discussions in the White House as to whether or not Germany should even be allowed to be anything more than just an agricultural state. (Morgenthau Plan)

Roosevelt said, A better policy would have the Germans "fed three times a day with soup from Army soup kitchens" so "they will remember that experience the rest of their lives."

People on this message board from Germany should feel thankful that Truman even allowed Germany to be a country after the war.

Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2017, 09:41:14 PM »

Well perhaps there is some progress.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2017, 09:44:06 PM »

Thank God Naso is here to only make me the second-most deplorable poster on Atlas.
Obama-Biden Democrat
Zyzz
Junior Chimp

« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2017, 10:14:16 PM »

I could see Trump or Kushner handing over the US nuclear codes to the Russians.
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2017, 10:23:42 PM »

I don't think anyone denies that it's possible to "win" a nuclear war in that a small portion of your country is still livable while the other country is completely destroyed. Why anyone would have any particular desire to "win" in that fashion is beyond me.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2017, 11:22:27 PM »

Being completely honest, I just think of all these conflicts and crisis' as continually kicking the can down the road. We used to kick a** and not care about the world reaction. Think about it. For 20+ years we can't even secure the southern border of our country. We can't figure out health care.

In just five years we went from depression and having the 19th ranked Army in the world to defacto global superpower.

We used to kick butt. What happened? Seriously? Regulations? Rules? Political correctness? Globalization?
Unapologetic Chinaperson
nj_dem

« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2017, 11:22:51 PM »

Thank God Naso is here to only make me the second-most deplorable poster on Atlas.

You're suddenly not proud to be a deplorable anymore?
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2017, 11:23:47 PM »

Being completely honest, I just think of all these conflicts and crisis' as continually kicking the can down the road. We used to kick a** and not care about the world reaction. Think about it. For 20+ years we can't even secure the southern border of our country. We can't figure out health care.

In just five years we went from depression and having the 19th ranked Army in the world to defacto global superpower.

We used to kick butt. What happened? Seriously? Regulations? Rules? Political correctness? Globalization?

nah, it's still that way. It's just that Democracy doesn't work until it really needs to. Which is what it's supposed to do.
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2017, 12:31:02 AM »

Health care and the southern border have failed because of internal conflicts. We're designed to be a democracy that exists for the benefit of the public. But we're actually an oligarchy run for the benefit of the wealthy. (And from the perspective of the 1%, everything in America is going very, very right. Espeically for the sociopaths.)

We were supreme after WWII because every other advanced nation on earth had been wrecked.

When do you think was this time we used to kick ass and not care what the world thought? Because the idea that we did so anytime after WWII is a product of jingoistic propaganda.

Korea? Vietnam? Somalia? Putting together giant coalitions against third tier nations like Iraq and Yugoslavia, and still not accomplishing all that much? Trouncing Panama and Grenada?

What I think it really happening with 'kicking the can down the road' is that our own propaganda about how awesome we are is starting to have it's wheels come off when faced with the consequences of unfettered greed by the 1%. (Once the Cold War was over, there was no more incentive to make things better here than over there. They've descended to trying to frighten us with scary brown people who don't speak English instead, and it's still not quite working right.)
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #36 on: December 05, 2017, 01:27:07 AM »

Depressingly, Naso is more representative than you might think here. Although hopefully the public's desire for a collective ego boost could come in something useful rather than killing a whole bunch of people in a novel manner.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #37 on: December 05, 2017, 02:09:47 AM »

Sorry champ, but you're not even in the top ten.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #38 on: December 05, 2017, 08:14:17 AM »

why? and what do you think this would accomplish?
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #39 on: December 05, 2017, 08:18:31 AM »

why? and what do you think this would accomplish?

Putin could grant them "political asylum" in exchange.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #40 on: December 05, 2017, 08:28:28 AM »

You seriously think they would flee to Russia?  I'd rather be a rich guy in an American white collar prison than a "free" rich guy in Russia.  Maybe you guys and Trump know something I don't (seems unlikely though).

and what do you think the Russians would do with codes?  The codes by themselves aren't particularly useful, they aren't magic.
SoLongAtlas
VirginiaModerate
United States
« Reply #41 on: December 05, 2017, 09:04:52 AM »

You know when fluoridation first began? 1946. How does that coincide with your post-war Commie conspiracy, huh? It's incredibly obvious, isn't it? A foreign substance is introduced into our precious bodily fluids without the knowledge of the individual. Certainly without any choice. That's the way a hard-core Commie works.

does liking floridiations water mean I'm a commie too? do i have 2 commit Sudoku?

The word you are looking for is Seppuku not Sodoku which is a puzzle game. You really are some kind of special aren't you?
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -5.04

« Reply #42 on: December 05, 2017, 09:30:51 AM »

Yikes dude. What is it with you and waxing nostalgic for the days of Japanese internment camps?
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #43 on: December 05, 2017, 01:16:52 PM »

Yikes dude. What is it with you and waxing nostalgic for the days of Japanese internment camps?

It's my way of saying if you think Trump is tough, Trump is weak compared to our past leaders. I would even venture to say, Trump is more the normal President than Obama was. See article below:

In normal times, Trumpism -- again, the agenda as opposed to Trump the person -- might be old hat. But after the last eight years, his correction has enraged millions.

For all the hysteria over the bluntness of the mercurial Trump, his agenda marks a return to what used to be seen as fairly normal, as the U.S. goes from hard left back to the populist center.

Read more at http://www.jewishworldreview.com/0217/hanson020217.php3#O7fMSyXtqroktUV4.99
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #44 on: December 05, 2017, 01:25:25 PM »

It's my way of saying if you think Trump is tough, Trump is weak compared to our past leaders. I would even venture to say, Trump is more the normal President than Obama was. See article below:

In normal times, Trumpism -- again, the agenda as opposed to Trump the person -- might be old hat. But after the last eight years, his correction has enraged millions.

For all the hysteria over the bluntness of the mercurial Trump, his agenda marks a return to what used to be seen as fairly normal, as the U.S. goes from hard left back to the populist center.

Read more at http://www.jewishworldreview.com/0217/hanson020217.php3#O7fMSyXtqroktUV4.99

...I didn't realize Robert Taft, Arthur Vandenburg, Coolidge, Harding were leftists.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #45 on: December 05, 2017, 01:54:35 PM »
« Edited: December 05, 2017, 01:57:47 PM by Virginia »

lol @ going back from "hard left" to "populist center." There is nothing populist about Trump's presidency, and Obama's presidency was hardly "hard left."
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #46 on: December 05, 2017, 02:06:51 PM »

lol @ going back from "hard left" to "populist center." There is nothing populist about Trump's presidency, and Obama's presidency was hardly "hard left."
He was endorsed by the Communist Party USA.
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #47 on: December 05, 2017, 02:08:28 PM »

He was endorsed by the Communist Party USA.

Roll Eyes
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #48 on: December 05, 2017, 02:18:37 PM »

I guess considering how conservatives fancy themselves the only real Americans, it shouldn't be surprising that they indulge a fantasy that no matter how far right they shift, they are still America's political center.
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #49 on: December 05, 2017, 02:24:15 PM »

Mutually assured destruction is a de facto reality that prevents countries from using nukes. If you push the button, the entire world dies.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies