What if Trump goes on pardoning spree
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 03, 2024, 12:37:56 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  What if Trump goes on pardoning spree
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: What if Trump goes on pardoning spree  (Read 2322 times)
jman123
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 01, 2017, 12:21:23 PM »

What if Trump in response to this on Flynn goes on a pardoning spree and pardons everyone like manafort and Flynn  and himself and fires Mueller.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2017, 12:26:23 PM »

What if Trump in response to this on Flynn goes on a pardoning spree and pardons everyone like manafort and Flynn  and himself and fires Mueller.
I bet he will if he perceives that he is untouchable.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2017, 12:36:09 PM »

Well, Trump can't pardon for state charges, and Mueller has reportedly been coordinating with (at least) the NY state Attorney General.  It's also legally questionable whether the President can pardon himself.

I do think there's a non-trivial chance that he will fire Mueller.  That would likely create a political firestorm like Nixon's Saturday Night Massacre, and I won't venture to predict how things would go from there.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2017, 12:45:37 PM »

Well, Trump can't pardon for state charges, and Mueller has reportedly been coordinating with (at least) the NY state Attorney General.  It's also legally questionable whether the President can pardon himself.

I do think there's a non-trivial chance that he will fire Mueller.  That would likely create a political firestorm like Nixon's Saturday Night Massacre, and I won't venture to predict how things would go from there.

It's really quite simple. The GOP is BTFO or they hold onto power and Trump consolidates it and becomes our ruler.
Fight for Trump
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2017, 12:47:12 PM »

It's really quite simple. The GOP is BTFO or they hold onto power and Trump consolidates it and becomes our ruler.

Smiley
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2017, 12:58:44 PM »
« Edited: December 01, 2017, 02:53:11 PM by ProudModerate2 »

Well, Trump can't pardon for state charges, and Mueller has reportedly been coordinating with (at least) the NY state Attorney General.  It's also legally questionable whether the President can pardon himself.

I do think there's a non-trivial chance that he will fire Mueller.  That would likely create a political firestorm like Nixon's Saturday Night Massacre, and I won't venture to predict how things would go from there.

... or they hold onto power and Trump consolidates it and becomes our ruler.

Sounds like Nazi Germany and Hitler, all over again.

Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2017, 03:01:12 PM »

Well, Trump can't pardon for state charges, and Mueller has reportedly been coordinating with (at least) the NY state Attorney General.  It's also legally questionable whether the President can pardon himself.

I do think there's a non-trivial chance that he will fire Mueller.  That would likely create a political firestorm like Nixon's Saturday Night Massacre, and I won't venture to predict how things would go from there.

... or they hold onto power and Trump consolidates it and becomes our ruler.

Sounds like Nazi Germany and Hitler, all over again.

Trump voters would like nothing more than for him to become a sort of emperor who can’t be voted out.
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2017, 03:38:13 PM »

Flynn will already have been interviewed and given witness statements to the FBI. If Trump were to pardon him all that would mean is that Flynn would be compelled to give testimony on those statements without being able to plead the fifth as he would no longer be able to incriminate himself.
Esteemed Jimmy
Jimmy7812
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: 2.47, S: -1.05

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2017, 03:42:40 PM »

Flynn will already have been interviewed and given witness statements to the FBI. If Trump were to pardon him all that would mean is that Flynn would be compelled to give testimony on those statements without being able to plead the fifth as he would no longer be able to incriminate himself.
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2017, 04:21:29 PM »

Approval rating will probably drop down to 15 and then Roy Moore will try to f**k it
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2017, 04:30:46 PM »

Approval rating will probably drop down to 15 and then Roy Moore will try to f**k it

Congratulations, sir. You win the thread.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2017, 04:31:56 PM »

Congratulations, sir. You win the thread.
Fight for Trump
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2017, 04:33:28 PM »

dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2017, 05:35:36 PM »

credit where it's due, that was good (but my gut says it's stolen...not that there is anything wrong with that)
Obama-Biden Democrat
Zyzz
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2017, 06:00:54 PM »

Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2017, 06:05:15 PM »

America's Sweetheart ❤/𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕭𝖔𝖔𝖙𝖞 𝖂𝖆𝖗𝖗𝖎𝖔𝖗
TexArkana
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2017, 06:11:50 PM »

I just want to be popular, man.
Maverick J-Mac
Rookie
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2017, 06:12:10 PM »

No that was Obama who pardoned bad people.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2017, 06:21:54 PM »

I wish he'd go on a pandering spree instead.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2017, 05:20:28 AM »

pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2017, 05:25:01 AM »

I am also guessing that he can make deals with Attorneys-General  of Maryland and Virginia. Charges of evading state income taxes may be possible.
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2017, 06:55:54 AM »

That was good!

But in all seriousness, I don't think it is crazy to think that Trump might get away with it. The GOP are really really in' good at finding excuses to support the unsupportable. Same with most of their voters. They are also really good at all getting on the same page and blaming democrats or Hillary's e-mails. I don't think it is unlikely that they will all call the investigation a biased witch hunt and that FOX and talk radio will go along with that. Democrats will scream about it and then most will resignate as usual.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2017, 02:38:35 PM »

Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2017, 02:53:59 PM »

That was good!

But in all seriousness, I don't think it is crazy to think that Trump might get away with it. The GOP are really really in' good at finding excuses to support the unsupportable. Same with most of their voters. They are also really good at all getting on the same page and blaming democrats or Hillary's e-mails. I don't think it is unlikely that they will all call the investigation a biased witch hunt and that FOX and talk radio will go along with that. Democrats will scream about it and then most will resignate as usual.

Let's say that does happen, and Republicans more or less blow it off somehow. This ignores the huge impact on everyone else. It would probably bring Trump's hard ceiling down to around 32% - 35%, which dooms Republicans in general in any election held under his presidency. There is no way Trump wins reelection with that, and there is little chance Republicans don't get swept out of office in droves in 2018 and 2020.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2017, 03:10:32 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies