If Doug Jones narrowly loses, will it encourage Democrats elsewhere?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 10:42:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  If Doug Jones narrowly loses, will it encourage Democrats elsewhere?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Yes or no?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 36

Author Topic: If Doug Jones narrowly loses, will it encourage Democrats elsewhere?  (Read 1239 times)
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 28, 2017, 06:39:49 PM »
« edited: November 28, 2017, 06:49:18 PM by ERM64man »

Alabama is so red that even a narrow loss for Doug Jones would be an impressive performance. Would this be encouraging for Democrats in other states that are less red (TX, IA, KS, LA, AZ, MO, GA, NC, MT, IN, SC, and AK)?
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2017, 06:41:38 PM »

There are some.. unique.. circumstances.
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2017, 06:50:00 PM »

But things in Alabama are so messed up that if Doug Jones can't win there, why should they have any faith they can win in deep red America. Just sayin...
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2017, 06:57:59 PM »

But things in Alabama are so messed up that if Doug Jones can't win there, why should they have any faith they can win in deep red America. Just sayin...
Alabama is redder than all the other states I mentioned. It's because the states I mentioned (MT, AZ, IN, IA, AK, MO, KS, NC, LA, and SC) are far more likely to vote for a Democrat than Alabama.
Former Kentuckian
Cal

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2017, 08:03:29 PM »

Alabama is so red that even a narrow loss for Doug Jones would be an impressive performance. Would this be encouraging for Democrats in other states that are less red (TX, IA, KS, LA, AZ, MO, GA, NC, MT, IN, SC, and AK)?

I think it would/will be incredibly discouraging. Roy Moore is being outraised and outspent, is politically isolated, and is literally accused of being a pedophile and a Democrat may still lose to him? It's hard to spin that into a positive.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2017, 08:09:54 PM »

I think it would/will be incredibly discouraging. Roy Moore is being outraised and outspent, is politically isolated, and is literally accused of being a pedophile and a Democrat may still lose to him? It's hard to spin that into a positive.

Exactly. The Democrats can’t rely on scandal. Not every Republican is a pedophile. And if one can be one and still get elected, what hope do other Democrats have? On the one hand they might not be running in Alabama. On the other hand, they may not be running against pedophiles either. And many of them are running in areas almost as Republican as Alabama, like Tester, Donnelly, Manchin, and McCaskill.
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2017, 08:27:48 PM »

Exactly. The Democrats can’t rely on scandal. Not every Republican is a pedophile. And if one can be one and still get elected, what hope do other Democrats have? On the one hand they might not be running in Alabama. On the other hand, they may not be running against pedophiles either. And many of them are running in areas almost as Republican as Alabama, like Tester, Donnelly, Manchin, and McCaskill.
Montana, Indiana, and Missouri are very Republican, but nowhere near as Republican as Alabama.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2017, 08:28:44 PM »

Montana, Indiana, and Missouri are very Republican, but nowhere near as Republican as Alabama.

And yeah, Manchin is finished.
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2017, 08:37:18 PM »

Manchin is still leading in the polls against both Morrisey and Jenkins.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2017, 11:49:29 PM »

Doesn't matter. Pryor and Landrieu had bigger leads in 2013. He's done.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2017, 04:41:21 AM »

Different circumstances this time around though..
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2017, 01:29:21 PM »

Different circumstances this time around though..

Yeah, I know. I'm just saying that leading in the polls a year out means nothing.
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2017, 02:06:52 PM »

I think Kander should be more of a motivation/inspiration. He did better in MO than Obama 2012 and came within 3 points despite Trump winning the state by almost 20.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2017, 03:31:56 PM »

And many of them are running in areas almost as Republican as Alabama, like Tester

Seriously though, I doubt the outcome of the election (regardless of who wins) will have any impact on other races in 2018 in the end.

MT is Republican for different reasons than Alabama is though, and it's way more elastic & open to ticket-splitting.
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2017, 04:24:00 PM »

Alabama is the most inelastic red state I can think of. Steve Bullock could never win in Alabama. In Alabama, Bullock would lose by 20+%.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2017, 04:32:16 PM »

MT is Republican for different reasons than Alabama is though, and it's way more elastic & open to ticket-splitting.

I know, hence the picture. I doubt someone like Tester would be able to get reelected in any other "red" state save for MO or maybe WV.

Last time I checked Tester is a member of the anti white hate group, so he'd stand no chance in WV.
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2017, 04:22:52 PM »

I'm almost positive it accelerates the Democratic trend in CA, AZ, GA, and VA.
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -0.17

« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2017, 05:13:30 PM »

It also shows the merit in making sure there's a credible candidate in even the most uphill battles. Politics is a game of uncertainty!
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2017, 05:18:31 PM »

I'm almost positive it accelerates the Democratic trend in CA, AZ, GA, and VA.
mcmikk
thealmightypiplup

« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2017, 07:58:13 PM »

It also shows the merit in making sure there's a credible candidate in even the most uphill battles. Politics is a game of uncertainty!
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2017, 08:24:07 PM »

Manchin should eat a lump of coal on the debate stage to win over WV voters
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2017, 08:26:10 PM »
« Edited: November 30, 2017, 08:31:32 PM by IceSpear »

Manchin should eat a lump of coal on the debate stage to win over WV voters

Nick Rahall metaphorically did that in 2014. Didn't matter. Still got crushed because he was a member of the anti white hate group.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies