Once New Orleans is restored, will Fred Phelps have the nerve to visit there?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 07:38:28 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Once New Orleans is restored, will Fred Phelps have the nerve to visit there?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Once New Orleans is restored, will Fred Phelps have the nerve to visit there?  (Read 1413 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 01, 2005, 12:07:09 AM »

I can't see him getting too warm of a welcome after this: http://www.godhatesfags.com/featured/20050831_thank-god-for-katrina.html
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2005, 12:08:19 AM »

I can't see New Orleans being restored.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2005, 12:09:13 AM »

That site is a joke, right?
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2005, 12:10:28 AM »

On the face of it this seems absurd, since with proper federal funding it could be set right in short order, and provide a boost to the economy in doing so.  However with the current regime I suppose you may be right.

Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2005, 12:18:44 AM »
« Edited: September 01, 2005, 12:21:25 AM by Jake »

I hate fags

ATFFL
Junior Chimp
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2005, 12:20:35 AM »

I'm sorry, Jake, but we have a sterotype of how you act and behave.  You are simply not living up to it right now.  Please delete taht post and repost somthing that meets our preconceived notions.

Thank you.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2005, 12:27:57 AM »

BRTD, you are not trying to clandestinely build some strawman argument on this, are you? Wink  The guy is a nutjob- end of story.  This sick bastard gets kicks out of stirring up crap. It is best to ignore.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2005, 12:33:48 AM »

BRTD, you are not trying to clandestinely build some strawman argument on this, are you? Wink  The guy is a nutjob- end of story.  This sick bastard gets kicks out of stirring up crap. It is best to ignore.

I think BRTD's point is the obvious one - that this fellow is very representative of the Religious Right and by extension the Republican viewpoint.  He may be a nutjob, but we're ruled by nutjobs, patrick1.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2005, 12:34:19 AM »

Not restoring New Orleans might be a lot more expensive than restoring it.  You'd have to relocate (where?) hundreds of thousands of people and businesses, who, for better or for worse own real estate in the city. Would someone compensate them? If not, would someone house them? You'd also lose forever most of the tourist revenues that had provided much of the city's economic activity (a "new and improved" New Orleans built elsewhere from scratch won't likely interest any tourists for the next 50 years).  It would be a long-term disaster for Louisiana.  Also, entire Gulf Coast is subject to hurricane threats, hundreds of people died because of Katrina in Mississipi - would you relocate those places as well?  I already mentioned earthquakes elsewhere - do you think LA and SF and much of the rest of CA should be relocated? When the 9-pointer comes there, and it will come almost with probability one, the magnitude of the destruction will be comparable, if not greater. So, why not move all those millions out now, before it is too late? And, also, big chunks of Florida are hardly inhabitable if New Orleans is not (a lot of it is barely above the sea level, and it gets a lot more hurricanes than New Orleans).

Politically it is not doable, in any case. There won't be any consequences for anyone if it is restored (other than accolades to incumbents), but abandoning it is going to be very costly for whoever gives the order.  If the order comes from the Feds, Republicans can forget about Louisiana for a generation. Hey, they'd scare a lot of people in Florida, won't they?! Not happenning. Better enforced pre-hurricane evacuation next time and billions for new levies - sure.  At most, abandonment of some suburbs and construction of new reservouirs to divert the floods. But who'd dare saying "forget the French Quarter"? Not anyone in the US government, that's for sure.
AuH2O
YaBB God

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2005, 12:36:00 AM »

I think BRTD's point is the obvious one - that this fellow is very representative of the Religious Right and by extension the Republican viewpoint.  He may be a nutjob, but we're ruled by nutjobs, patrick1.

Well, you're ruled by imaginary demons in your head. The rest of us are in somewhat better shape.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2005, 12:38:35 AM »

Well, you're ruled by imaginary demons in your head. The rest of us are in somewhat better shape.

I think it is fair to say that most republicans despise the residents of New Orleans, primarily for racist reasons, but also for moralistic ones.  Certainly I have heard nothing else from the Repubicans I know - parents, friends parents, etc.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2005, 12:43:03 AM »

Wow that is horrible
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2005, 12:58:37 AM »

This website is priceless with such pictures as this one...

Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2005, 02:07:36 AM »

This website is priceless with such pictures as this one...

sickening
○∙◄☻„tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2005, 02:29:38 AM »

You do realize that you belong to the sane wing of the Republican party?
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2005, 10:59:28 AM »

BRTD, you are not trying to clandestinely build some strawman argument on this, are you? Wink

No. Although Phelps does rebuke one of dazzleman's most used strawmen arguments.
AuH2O
YaBB God

« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2005, 11:13:35 AM »

Communists represent a much, much, much larger portion of the Democratic Party than this obscure site represents of the Republican Party. In fact, it's not even close... 20% to perhaps .0001%.
KillerPollo
Mexico

Political Matrix
E: -3.15, S: -0.82

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2005, 11:28:10 AM »

Is a bunch of kids wearing gag t-shirts sickening?
nini2287
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 2.77, S: -3.39

« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2005, 01:16:54 PM »

No it's not.  These people protested at my high school when we put on The Laramie Project a couple of years ago.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies