IL-3 Dem Primary: Election Day!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 06:50:46 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  IL-3 Dem Primary: Election Day!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30 ... 48
Author Topic: IL-3 Dem Primary: Election Day!  (Read 81333 times)
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #600 on: March 19, 2018, 12:50:51 PM »

It seems to me like these primary challenges are a clash between the old school union Dems and the young Obama style Democrats.
This is not a particularly useful binary, especially in this district — SEIU & AFT went for Newman, and both are fairly reliable on labor issues.

Feels like "old school union Dems" is just a shorthand for ethnic white, male, urban Democrats most common in Chicago and Boston, and "Obama style" is non-white or female.

PPP poll showed Lipinski doing better among blacks and hispanics than with whites.

I wouldn't necessarily expect manufacturing and service sector unions to line up behind the same person, and that looks like very roughly a divide here.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #601 on: March 19, 2018, 01:02:09 PM »

Has it been written about yet about how Ives running almost exclusively on abortion in the Republican primary could hurt Lipinski in his own primary (due to pro-lifers opting for a GOP ballot)?

Why would it affect him if the Republican candidate on IL-3 is a literal neo-nazi

You’re not understanding my point. The point is that Illinois is an open primary state. If pro-lifers In IL-3 pick up a Republican ballot to protest vote against Rauner, that invariably helps Marie Newman
Are people actually arguing this fact lmfao
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #602 on: March 19, 2018, 01:16:56 PM »

I don't know how things are in terms of Illinois media but national pro-life media and twitter is focusing more on supporting Lipinski than on Ives. SBA list is in the district encouraging pro-lifers to vote in the Democratic primary.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #603 on: March 19, 2018, 04:32:06 PM »

I don't know how things are in terms of Illinois media but national pro-life media and twitter is focusing more on supporting Lipinski than on Ives. SBA list is in the district encouraging pro-lifers to vote in the Democratic primary.

the SBA list press release said they were only targeting Democrats, not Rs or Is
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -0.17

« Reply #604 on: March 19, 2018, 05:22:32 PM »

National Review endorsed a crossover pro-life vote. SBA really should be targeting indies and R's.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #605 on: March 19, 2018, 05:39:40 PM »

the SBA list press release said they were only targeting Democrats, not Rs or Is

Ah yes I see that now.  But the point still stands they are not doing a similar gotv effort for the GOP primary.
America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
« Reply #606 on: March 19, 2018, 05:54:24 PM »

A vote for Kay Ives is a vote to throw away a competitive race.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #607 on: March 19, 2018, 06:45:25 PM »

A vote for Kay Ives is a vote to throw away a competitive race.

Really?  Seems more like a vote to get beat by 20 instead of 10-15.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #608 on: March 19, 2018, 07:05:15 PM »

Everyone is talking about pro-lifers going R or crossing over...but I think the bigger question is new voters. Dem enthusiasm is high, and some of these new primary voters will simply be hard dem voters who normally don't vote in a midterm primary. But others will be the Soc-Lib fiscal-con types who are angry at the GOP in the collars and are casting dem ballots in primaries for the first time. The IL GOP has always enjoyed a stronger primary position in the Collar counties and the suburbs than in the general. Will they vote Lipinski because he is the incumbent, and they are mainly moving on the gov race and Trump, or will they be Newman voters, since she matches their Social views?
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #609 on: March 19, 2018, 08:25:32 PM »

Everyone is talking about pro-lifers going R or crossing over...but I think the bigger question is new voters. Dem enthusiasm is high, and some of these new primary voters will simply be hard dem voters who normally don't vote in a midterm primary. But others will be the Soc-Lib fiscal-con types who are angry at the GOP in the collars and are casting dem ballots in primaries for the first time. The IL GOP has always enjoyed a stronger primary position in the Collar counties and the suburbs than in the general. Will they vote Lipinski because he is the incumbent, and they are mainly moving on the gov race and Trump, or will they be Newman voters, since she matches their Social views?
Considering Lipinski is a social conservative and fiscal liberals, why would socially liberal-fiscally conservative types vote for him?
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #610 on: March 19, 2018, 08:28:09 PM »

Considering Lipinski is a social conservative and fiscal liberals, why would socially liberal-fiscally conservative types vote for him?

Because they arn't as in tune with the race, and these type of voters tend to have a higher pro-incumbent affinity in primaries. Their views probably line more up with Newman socially, but Lipinski Fiscally.
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #611 on: March 19, 2018, 10:54:44 PM »

Fiscal liberals like myself don't vote against Obamacare.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #612 on: March 19, 2018, 10:57:06 PM »

Fiscal liberals like myself don't vote against Obamacare.
Agreed, but I’m tossing the Lipinskans a bone.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #613 on: March 19, 2018, 10:58:41 PM »
« Edited: March 20, 2018, 05:41:07 AM by COME ON DANIEL BISS AND MARIE NEWMAN »

Because they arn't as in tune with the race, and these type of voters tend to have a higher pro-incumbent affinity in primaries. Their views probably line more up with Newman socially, but Lipinski Fiscally.
From the way this campaign sounds on the ground, there’s no way people who aren’t at least paying attention or have knowledge of both candidates will make up a huge contingent of voters tomorrow.
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #614 on: March 19, 2018, 11:41:59 PM »

Lipinski is done

🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #615 on: March 20, 2018, 01:38:18 AM »

300 sample size = MOE approx. 5.6%
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #616 on: March 20, 2018, 05:47:06 AM »

Trying not to get my hopes up, congressional races are notoriously difficult to poll. Just look at PA-18.
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -0.17

« Reply #617 on: March 20, 2018, 08:57:19 AM »

Change Research is a terrible polling firm with a track record of being way off. The only other poll we've seen of IL-03 was PPP showing Lipinski up 3 and the wording of the question wasn't even released...
Doimper
Doctor Imperialism

« Reply #618 on: March 20, 2018, 09:17:29 AM »

Tip: Bet on the candidate you don't want to win, so you'll have reason to celebrate regardless of what happens. I've got twenty bucks on Lipinski.
Rhenna
Gabor
United States

« Reply #619 on: March 20, 2018, 09:31:52 AM »

Tip: Bet on the candidate you don't want to win, so you'll have reason to celebrate regardless of what happens. I've got twenty bucks on Lipinski.
Might have to start doing this, I've been let down by Ossoff, Quist, and Parnell, and hopefully I can cushion the blow when Lipinski wins tonight's primary by 5%.
Doimper
Doctor Imperialism

« Reply #620 on: March 20, 2018, 09:35:27 AM »

Might have to start doing this, I've been let down by Ossoff, Quist, and Parnell, and hopefully I can cushion the blow when Lipinski wins tonight's primary by 5%.

No better time than now. He's at thirty cents on PredictIt, which is a steal.
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #621 on: March 20, 2018, 09:55:56 AM »

Yeah 30 cents is a steal, though I still do see this race as pretty much over.
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #622 on: March 20, 2018, 10:02:14 AM »

Yeah 30 cents is a steal, though I still do see this race as pretty much over.

As in Newman winning easily?

Yup. Like, I think that rational betting says take the incumbent at 30 cents, but I personally would be shocked if Newman doesn't win.
Strudelcutie4427
Singletxguyforfun
United States

« Reply #623 on: March 20, 2018, 10:59:55 AM »

How does that work? Is it basically the same as betting on sports?
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #624 on: March 20, 2018, 11:24:28 AM »

Lipinski is done

We will see what happens. It will be a shame if one of the few pro-life Democrats remaining in Congress is drummed out.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30 ... 48  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies