IL-3 Dem Primary: Election Day!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 07:12:34 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  IL-3 Dem Primary: Election Day!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 ... 48
Author Topic: IL-3 Dem Primary: Election Day!  (Read 81450 times)
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #500 on: March 11, 2018, 10:28:25 AM »

This thread is a dumpster fire now...

Can you guys please PM each other instead, I wanna read news about the race, not people arguing about moderates.

Seconded, for Christ’s sake.

Also...

Lol if this is true then I’m fairly confident Newman wins
Wells
MikeWells12
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #501 on: March 11, 2018, 03:18:48 PM »

Here come the buzzwords about 'San Francisco values'....

As a gay person, I'm perfectly happy for the Democratic Party primary voters to reduce the ideological diversity of the party, through primaries to get rid of people who don't support LGBT rights. Some times parties need to cut of the deadwood.
IL-03 is an objectively different area than San Francisco. San Francisco is a heavily gentrified tech hub of sorts, while IL-03 is mostly declining labor-Democratic more socially-moderate suburbia.
Newman is running a campaign that pretty much seems to imply SF and IL-03 are the same, which is ridiculous. But she might still win.

I imagine IL-03 has gay people. Do you think they should support Lipinski?
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #502 on: March 11, 2018, 04:41:50 PM »

Dan Lipinski:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9_8YxDQYCo
ProgressiveCanadian
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #503 on: March 11, 2018, 07:57:24 PM »

Looks like Lipinski took the seat for granted which he got from his daddy. Going to be a tough few weeks for him.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #504 on: March 11, 2018, 08:12:11 PM »
« Edited: March 11, 2018, 08:22:02 PM by Badger »

Here come the buzzwords about 'San Francisco values'....

As a gay person, I'm perfectly happy for the Democratic Party primary voters to reduce the ideological diversity of the party, through primaries to get rid of people who don't support LGBT rights. Some times parties need to cut of the deadwood.
IL-03 is an objectively different area than San Francisco. San Francisco is a heavily gentrified tech hub of sorts, while IL-03 is mostly declining labor-Democratic more socially-moderate suburbia.
Newman is running a campaign that pretty much seems to imply SF and IL-03 are the same, which is ridiculous. But she might still win.

I imagine IL-03 has gay people. Do you think they should support Lipinski?

This is a profoundly silly statement. It really doesn't take much to understand it being pro-choice and pro-gay rights has long been the middle of the Democratic Party for a couple decades now, and most voters in this districts are Democrats. It's a Suburban district with a reasonably high percentage of college grads. Everyone's trying to portray it as Archie Bunker land. A disproportionate share of the working class Democratic voters in this District today are Hispanics whom, contrary to conservative mythology, are actually fairly Progressive on abortion rights and gay marriage ( outside of the Evangel community of course), and needless to say they are really pro-obama and Obamacare, and really really really really really Pro DREAM Act. His opposition there is like a democrat in a 20% African American District voting against reauthorization of the Civil Rights Act. Would anyone still be calling an aggressive primary challenge to that person a purity Purge?

I would suggest that lipinski's supporters are confusing this district with West Virginia far more than Newman's are confusing it with San Francisco.

EDIT: I meant the statement above all is Wells was the silly one, in case there's any confusion. I hit reply to the wrong post.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #505 on: March 11, 2018, 08:25:13 PM »

Looks like Lipinski took the seat for granted which he got from his daddy. Going to be a tough few weeks for him.

Yeah in case it sounds like I'ma Newman hack, Lipinski is to start the opposite as a socially conservative economically liberal old school pork barrel anti DREAM Act and anti-obamacare type that is literally the mirror image of me ideologically, other than I'm one of the last Republicans who don't consider unions organized crime thugs or the devil. But what is always really got to me is the utterly Shady inside politics manner in which he was gifted his seat by his daddy. Yes, he is run for several terms on his own in the district since then, but that just utterly left me appalled.
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #506 on: March 12, 2018, 08:10:18 PM »

Can't find any press on it, but worth noting that Newman's campaign is undergoing some labor trouble in the homestretch. A week ago, the Newman campaign agreed to a tentative contract with the Campaign Workers' Guild but has since stalled on actually signing.

There doesn't appear to be a stoppage, but CWG is engaging in various actions (more than people calling the office phone in support of the contract) etc. to bring the campaign back to the table.
DemocraticKing
Rookie

« Reply #507 on: March 13, 2018, 12:24:01 AM »

Can't find any press on it, but worth noting that Newman's campaign is undergoing some labor trouble in the homestretch. A week ago, the Newman campaign agreed to a tentative contract with the Campaign Workers' Guild but has since stalled on actually signing.

There doesn't appear to be a stoppage, but CWG is engaging in various actions (more than people calling the office phone in support of the contract) etc. to bring the campaign back to the table.

If Lipinski was smart, he would unionize his campaign immediately, and start sending out mailers to union households.
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #508 on: March 13, 2018, 01:12:13 AM »

If Lipinski was smart, he would unionize his campaign immediately, and start sending out mailers to union households.

And if Newman were sufficiently on-the-ball, she'd sign the dang contract and counter some of Lipinski's labor messaging (seriously his entire website is covered by getting endorsed by various trade unions).

But we live in a broken and fallen world.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #509 on: March 13, 2018, 05:14:32 AM »

Stephen Lynch better be taking note of this primary.

He's not nearly as bad as Lipinski, but yeah, if Newman wins or even comes close, it could give Lynch's opponents momentum.

I wonder what the dynamic is in South Texas (too late for a primary this year, I know). Are Democrats there really that conservative?
Young Conservative
youngconservative
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #510 on: March 13, 2018, 08:37:10 AM »

He's not nearly as bad as Lipinski, but yeah, if Newman wins or even comes close, it could give Lynch's opponents momentum.

I wonder what the dynamic is in South Texas (too late for a primary this year, I know). Are Democrats there really that conservative?
Yes and for good reason. Hispanic Americans, especially Hispanic Texans, are generally social conservatives.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #511 on: March 13, 2018, 08:41:55 AM »

Comparisons of Brianna Wu and Marie Newman are unfair to Marie Newman, IMO.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -7.30

« Reply #512 on: March 13, 2018, 09:13:11 AM »

Comparisons of Dan Lipinski to Stephen Lynch aren’t.
Strudelcutie4427
Singletxguyforfun
United States

« Reply #513 on: March 13, 2018, 04:38:09 PM »

Lynch is fine. There aren’t too many nutty SJW areas in his district and he’s very popular among the “Southie-Dorchester diaspora” south of the city
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #514 on: March 13, 2018, 04:39:47 PM »

Lynch is also pro-choice, so abortion is less of a motivator for the Democrats there.
Strudelcutie4427
Singletxguyforfun
United States

« Reply #515 on: March 13, 2018, 04:42:33 PM »

Lynch is also pro-choice, so abortion is less of a motivator for the Democrats there.

Lynch and Keating occasionally cast their bipartisan votes to play to the south shore, but the way the districts are drawn, it’d be hard to dislodge them
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #516 on: March 13, 2018, 05:07:04 PM »

Comparisons of Dan Lipinski to Stephen Lynch aren’t.

Lynch is nowhere near as conservative as Lipinski, particularly on economic issues.
McGovernForPrez

« Reply #517 on: March 13, 2018, 05:25:10 PM »

I mean I'm sure Capuano could learn a thing or two as well. Unlike Lipinski he is a very strong fit for his district, but also still faces a challenge from a very strong female candidate. It seems to me like these primary challenges are a clash between the old school union Dems and the young Obama style Democrats. Capuano should be safe because he has a strong liberal record, and Lynch should be safe because his district has more conservative Democrats in it.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #518 on: March 13, 2018, 06:07:31 PM »

It seems to me like these primary challenges are a clash between the old school union Dems and the young Obama style Democrats.
This is not a particularly useful binary, especially in this district — SEIU & AFT went for Newman, and both are fairly reliable on labor issues.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #519 on: March 14, 2018, 10:01:18 AM »

important update on atlas's favorite moderate reasonable problem-solver
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #520 on: March 14, 2018, 10:06:25 AM »

Re: Lipinski, beyond the utter grossness on display here... this is not how a campaign confident of swatting aside a primary challenge behaves.
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -0.17

« Reply #521 on: March 14, 2018, 10:14:16 AM »

The texts about Newman being a holocaust denier should be repudiated ASAP by both the campaign and No Labels, but they don't strike me as a coordinated campaign effort so much as an idiotic volunteer that needs to be fired immediately.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #522 on: March 14, 2018, 10:23:31 AM »

The texts about Newman being a holocaust denier should be repudiated ASAP by both the campaign and No Labels, but they don't strike me as a coordinated campaign effort so much as an idiotic volunteer that needs to be fired immediately.

This. Someone either did this maliciously or stupidly got Newman confused with Arthur Jones.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #523 on: March 14, 2018, 10:23:53 AM »

important update on atlas's favorite moderate reasonable problem-solver

I hate this dude
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #524 on: March 14, 2018, 11:32:03 AM »

His record in Congress involves bringing a train station to his district just this past year, along with leadership on transportation issues (his district includes some rail yards too, atop all of that). How is that awful?

So, about this...
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 ... 48  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies