IL-3 Dem Primary: Election Day!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 17, 2024, 01:30:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  IL-3 Dem Primary: Election Day!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 ... 48
Author Topic: IL-3 Dem Primary: Election Day!  (Read 83106 times)
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #425 on: March 09, 2018, 09:39:34 PM »

Wow bernie, way to turn on the working class who you claim to be for. Lipinski is one of the good guys in congress and working class centrist Dems are a dying breed (Lipinski, Lynch, Peterson, Kind, etc.) My whole family was once working class democrats, but Bernie, Newman, and their whole SJW crusade jolted us across the aisle. Please, people of IL-3, keep Dan Lipinski as your congressman

Very good, great statement by a great poster.

What do you feel about the drive to remove Lipinski from office? From my understanding, this is a traditional working-class kind of district, and one with a kind of "working-class religious" tint.

Given that it swung towards Clinton in 2016, seems unlikely to be true today.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #426 on: March 09, 2018, 09:45:34 PM »
« Edited: March 09, 2018, 09:57:17 PM by Brittain33 »

I'm fine with a big tent on issues like guns/abortion/immigration, but at the same time, there needs to be a difference between the two parties on economics of some sorts, at least in safe seats. If not, why have political parties at all? I'm not offended by Lipinski's social views but what I am bothered by is his vote against a centrist health care plan when he was in a blue seat.

The Blue Dog support for Lipinski is a bit baffling from an ideological prospective though given that he basically is a Republican, and there's a reason Blue Dogs on here aren't Republicans, and are usually willing to put aside one's support for abortion if they agreed with them on other issues. Rather, many here are slamming Newsman for her support for abortion. In reality, I think they fear - and to some extent I do as someone who is more left wing economically than socially and thinks party lines being driven by social issues is what's destroyed the country - that since a major source of Newman's support comes from the contrast between the two on social issues, the idea of purity becoming mainstream, specifically the idea that one must be in the mold of Kamala Harris to be a Democrat. Honestly, to me Lipinski is so bad that quite frankly at the end of the day, Marie Newman would be a much better Congresswoman than Lipinski, and I don't think the Justice Democrats have the firepower to repeatedly pull this off in race after race after race, so I'm not sure how extreme of a trend this will be.  

I do think Lipinski's vote against Obamacare was wrong, and that is out of step with what I would expect a populist Democrat to support. However, I am concerned about the potential for "purism", and I do not believe that it would bode well for the Democratic Party (and the Republican Party), to completely shut out the voices of those who may diverge from some aspects of the party platform.

HE IS NOT A POPULIST DEMOCRAT

HE IS SLIGHTLY TO THE RIGHT OF LARRY HOGAN AND REPRESENTS CHICAGO

JESUS CHRIST

By your definition, a populist Democrat is someone as left, or to the left, of Bernie Sanders.
Yes, because that is what a populist Democrat is.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #427 on: March 09, 2018, 09:47:11 PM »

I'm fine with a big tent on issues like guns/abortion/immigration, but at the same time, there needs to be a difference between the two parties on economics of some sorts, at least in safe seats. If not, why have political parties at all? I'm not offended by Lipinski's social views but what I am bothered by is his vote against a centrist health care plan when he was in a blue seat.

The Blue Dog support for Lipinski is a bit baffling from an ideological prospective though given that he basically is a Republican, and there's a reason Blue Dogs on here aren't Republicans, and are usually willing to put aside one's support for abortion if they agreed with them on other issues. Rather, many here are slamming Newsman for her support for abortion. In reality, I think they fear - and to some extent I do as someone who is more left wing economically than socially and thinks party lines being driven by social issues is what's destroyed the country - that since a major source of Newman's support comes from the contrast between the two on social issues, the idea of purity becoming mainstream, specifically the idea that one must be in the mold of Kamala Harris to be a Democrat. Honestly, to me Lipinski is so bad that quite frankly at the end of the day, Marie Newman would be a much better Congresswoman than Lipinski, and I don't think the Justice Democrats have the firepower to repeatedly pull this off in race after race after race, so I'm not sure how extreme of a trend this will be.  

I do think Lipinski's vote against Obamacare was wrong, and that is out of step with what I would expect a populist Democrat to support. However, I am concerned about the potential for "purism", and I do not believe that it would bode well for the Democratic Party (and the Republican Party), to completely shut out the voices of those who may diverge from some aspects of the party platform.

JESUS CHRIST

By your definition, a populist Democrat is someone as left, or to the left, of Bernie Sanders.
Yes, because that is what a populist Democrat is, you moron.

Why do you insult me? I merely come to this thread to offer my opinion about this district, and you instantly resort to ad hominem attacks! This is uncalled for, and I've reported your post.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #428 on: March 09, 2018, 09:47:20 PM »

Wow bernie, way to turn on the working class who you claim to be for. Lipinski is one of the good guys in congress and working class centrist Dems are a dying breed (Lipinski, Lynch, Peterson, Kind, etc.) My whole family was once working class democrats, but Bernie, Newman, and their whole SJW crusade jolted us across the aisle. Please, people of IL-3, keep Dan Lipinski as your congressman

What do you feel about the drive to remove Lipinski from office? From my understanding, this is a traditional working-class kind of district, and one with a kind of "working-class religious" tint.

I'm disgusted by the purist purges, and I really hope Lipinski can pull through, and I think it has tightened but he still holds the advantage.
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #429 on: March 09, 2018, 09:52:29 PM »

I'm disgusted by the purist purges, and I really hope Lipinski can pull through, and I think it has tightened but he still holds the advantage.
No reason to not to them in safe d districts
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #430 on: March 09, 2018, 09:53:42 PM »

We will see what happens. Many of the Blue Dog Democrats, of a very similar cast as Lipinski, were wiped out in 2010, and had been a critical component of the old Democratic majorities in the House. By engaging in such purges, Democrats make it more difficult for themselves, and less likely that they can hold a viable coalition in the future. My hope is that things eventually go down the path as suggested in that Cordray timeline: one where Democrats return to their roots, and don't go too far out of field.  
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #431 on: March 09, 2018, 10:02:20 PM »

We will see what happens. Many of the Blue Dog Democrats, of a very similar cast as Lipinski, were wiped out in 2010, and had been a critical component of the old Democratic majorities in the House. By engaging in such purges, Democrats make it more difficult for themselves, and less likely that they can hold a viable coalition in the future. My hope is that things eventually go down the path as suggested in that Cordray timeline: one where Democrats return to their roots, and don't go too far out of field.  

Democrats have not had a majority without moderates in nearly a hundred years. They are cutting off a good foot by primarying Lipinskis all over the country. Because they feel as though a prosthetic would look cooler. We also need moderates to break the gridlock, and get stuff done. Extreme polarization screws us all over. We don't have enough moderates.
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #432 on: March 09, 2018, 10:12:38 PM »

Democrats have not had a majority without moderates in nearly a hundred years. They are cutting off a good foot by primarying Lipinskis all over the country. Because they feel as though a prosthetic would look cooler. We also need moderates to break the gridlock, and get stuff done. Extreme polarization screws us all over. We don't have enough moderates.

It's not about looking cooler. It's about trying to have the votes to do stuff like Medicare for All, Free College, paid family and medical leave, paid vacation time by law, taxing and regulating weed, and financial regulation in 2020 or whenever we get a trifecta. Have we learned anything from 2006 CT Sen? I'm generally for running economic and social moderates but run them where actually necessary.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #433 on: March 09, 2018, 10:15:09 PM »

JESUS CHRIST

Yes, because that is what a populist Democrat is, you moron.

Why do you insult me? I merely come to this thread to offer my opinion about this district, and you instantly resort to ad hominem attacks! This is uncalled for, and I've reported your post.
Report this one too: go fuck yourself, and don't take yourself so fucking seriously.

Once again, there is a resort to insults which is not productive, and not conducive to the civil debate environment which I thought was supposed to be the standard here. But what can I say. You're far from the first person who has insulted me over the Internet during all my years on it. And you won't be the last.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #434 on: March 09, 2018, 10:17:44 PM »
« Edited: March 09, 2018, 10:20:46 PM by Calthrina950 »

I fully agree with you. And as you can see elsewhere on this thread, it seems as if people jump on you if you try to call for moderation and for greater bipartisanship. All that we say also applies to the Republican Party as well. I honestly believe our country would be better off if we had more politicians in the mold of Manchin and Collins, rather than extremists like Cruz and Harris.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #435 on: March 09, 2018, 10:19:38 PM »

I fully agree with you. And as you can see elsewhere on this thread, it seems as if people jump on you if you try to call for moderation and for greater partisanship. All that we say also applies to the Republican Party as well. I honestly believe our country would be better off if we had more politicians in the mold of Manchin and Collins, rather than extremists like Cruz and Harris.

Hear hear!
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #436 on: March 09, 2018, 10:20:19 PM »

It's not about looking cooler. It's about trying to have the votes to do stuff like Medicare for All, Free College, paid family and medical leave, paid vacation time by law, taxing and regulating weed, and financial regulation in 2020 or whenever we get a trifecta. Have we learned anything from 2006 CT Sen? I'm generally for running economic and social moderates but run them where actually necessary.

All of those objectives, I believe, follow in the tradition of the New Deal and Great Society. My personal opinion is that a Democrat who supports this, but who may still be socially moderate or conservative, wouldn't necessarily be the worst thing to have. To me, primary challenges such as this one aren't the most productive thing, because they tend to aggravate the divide between the factions within the Party.
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #437 on: March 09, 2018, 10:41:39 PM »
« Edited: March 09, 2018, 10:48:14 PM by YE »

All of those objectives, I believe, follow in the tradition of the New Deal and Great Society. My personal opinion is that a Democrat who supports this, but who may still be socially moderate or conservative, wouldn't necessarily be the worst thing to have. To me, primary challenges such as this one aren't the most productive thing, because they tend to aggravate the divide between the factions within the Party.

Yes, but I wouldn't consider Lipinski someone who supports that, given he voted against Obamacare, and voted to deregulate Wall Street, and has been hesitant to favor an increase the minimum wage. They're not the most productive thing, but I don't think Justice Dems and similar organizations have the resources to pull this off in the same extent the Tea Party did, and at the end of the day, Marie Newman will be a better congresswoman than Dan Lipinski.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #438 on: March 09, 2018, 10:47:35 PM »

Yes, but I wouldn't consider Lipinski someone who supports that, given he voted against Obamacare, and voted to deregulate Wall Street, and has been hesitant to increase the minimum wage. They're not the most productive thing, but I don't think Justice Dems and similar organizations have the resources to pull this off in the same extent the Tea Party did, and at the end of the day, Marie Newman will be a better congresswomen than Dan Lipinski.

If Lipinski loses the primary, we all know things are going to get even uglier, but if he wins, does that send a large counterblow?
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #439 on: March 09, 2018, 10:48:36 PM »

Yes, but I wouldn't consider Lipinski someone who supports that, given he voted against Obamacare, and voted to deregulate Wall Street, and has been hesitant to increase the minimum wage. They're not the most productive thing, but I don't think Justice Dems and similar organizations have the resources to pull this off in the same extent the Tea Party did, and at the end of the day, Marie Newman will be a better congresswomen than Dan Lipinski.

Although I don't agree with Newman's views on abortion, I don't have a particularly strong objection to her. If she wins, then that means the primary electorate in that district decided for a change. And she may very well be more economically progressive or populist than Lipinski. But I also caution against any efforts to knock off all moderate Democrats. I wouldn't want the Democratic Party to become too extreme ideologically, nor do I want the same of the Republicans.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #440 on: March 09, 2018, 10:50:47 PM »

If Lipinski loses the primary, we all know things are going to get even uglier, but if he wins, does that send a large counterblow?

It remains to be seen. Though as I just explained to YE, I won't have too much of a negative reaction if Newman wins the primary. My main concern is that "purism" might eventually spread through the entire Party.
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #441 on: March 09, 2018, 10:56:45 PM »

Although I don't agree with Newman's views on abortion, I don't have a particularly strong objection to her. If she wins, then that means the primary electorate in that district decided for a change. And she may very well be more economically progressive or populist than Lipinski. But I also caution against any efforts to knock off all moderate Democrats. I wouldn't want it to become as extreme ideologically, nor do I want the same of the Republicans.

Well, I think we're in general agreement then. There needs to be moderates to some extent in order for the government to function but that's not an excuse to sell out to big corporations in safe seats like this.   
Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 9.53, S: 10.54

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #442 on: March 09, 2018, 11:06:55 PM »

Lipinski is probably too moderate for his pretty blue district, and he never should have gotten the seat anyways (his daddy gave it to him). I don't really care about purity or whatever, but we should run people that fit the districts. I'm pretty sure Lipinski's district is very in favor of the DREAM Act yet he voted against it.

That said, I'm kind of meh about Newman too. I think I would lean towards voting her if I lived in this district.
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #443 on: March 09, 2018, 11:07:53 PM »

Most likely Newman goes for a rematch in 2020 if Lipinski wins the primary. If Lipinski losses, we may see more effort to sink guys like Henry Cellular but these sort of candidates that refuse to take corporate or PAC money puts them at a greater institutional disadvantage than say the Tea Party, and I don't see this kind of grassroots energy lasting in 2022 if a Dem wins in 2020.   
ProgressiveCanadian
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #444 on: March 09, 2018, 11:18:36 PM »

Time for Bagel23 to change his avatar to blue I think Smiley
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #445 on: March 09, 2018, 11:47:27 PM »

They do look alike:

AtorBoltox

« Reply #446 on: March 10, 2018, 02:30:21 AM »
« Edited: March 10, 2018, 05:12:21 AM by AtorBoltox »

Is calthrina a spoof account parodying the 'muh enlightened centrist' stereotype?
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #447 on: March 10, 2018, 02:41:03 AM »

Oh come on mate. How she looks is irrelevant.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #448 on: March 10, 2018, 08:26:30 AM »

He not she. Anyways it's funny.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #449 on: March 10, 2018, 11:33:22 AM »
« Edited: March 10, 2018, 12:12:41 PM by Blair »

To keep contributing to this flaming pile of garbage.

1.) My opposition to Lipinski isn't on the basis that he's a 'moderate'. Whilst I'm not one of the people who thinks that a 'no labels' think-tank with Jon Huntsman, Susan Collins, Joe Lieberman and Joe Manchin holding hands would someone solve all of Washington's problems (or politics at large) I'm equally not someone who at all supports primarying people like Manchin, Heitkamp or Donnelly.

But you can't just turn 'think about the moderates' into a shield to defend politicians who are awful. If Lipinski had say endorsed Jill Stein in 2012, voted against Obamacare cause it lacked a single payer etc I'd still support primarying him. Even if National groups didn't turn in I remember ages ago when lots of people where upset that someone was challenging Lipinski; you don't have the right not to face a primary, and not to be called out over stupid votes/decisions that you make as an elected official.

2.) For the 5th time; don't fetish/romanticize the idea of whatever the working class represents (because when people often do they mean white-working class) There are plenty of working class people who are LGBT, who need protections from the government, they're plenty of working class women who need access to contraception, they're plenty of working class people who need access to cheap healthcare. Lipinski opposed all of this- fighting some bullsh**t culture crap from the 90's doesn't help his district.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 ... 48  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies