2016: Clinton/Manchin (D-NY/WV) vs. Trump/Pence (R-NY/IN)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 06:38:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Past Election What-ifs (US) (Moderator: Dereich)
  2016: Clinton/Manchin (D-NY/WV) vs. Trump/Pence (R-NY/IN)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 2016: Clinton/Manchin (D-NY/WV) vs. Trump/Pence (R-NY/IN)  (Read 586 times)
WestVegeta
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: -2.43

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 16, 2017, 11:41:18 AM »

I think having the Clinton's longtime friend and centrist Sen. Manchin as her VP could increase WWC appeal to the point where PA and MI go Democrat, and WV comes extremely close to flipping for Hillary (Manchin's WWC appeal is intensified here, and with him as VP she never says "we're going to put a lot of coal miners out of business!") but ultimately doesn't.

Discuss?

Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2017, 12:48:05 PM »

I think having the Clinton's longtime friend and centrist Sen. Manchin as her VP could increase WWC appeal to the point where PA and MI go Democrat, and WV comes extremely close to flipping for Hillary (Manchin's WWC appeal is intensified here, and with him as VP she never says "we're going to put a lot of coal miners out of business!") but ultimately doesn't.

Discuss?

Clinton would also take Wisconsin and maybe Florida
WestVegeta
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2017, 01:01:20 PM »

I only changed PA and MI because they were the closest margins of defeat. She could maybe pick up WI because of the WWC appeal, but idk about Florida.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2017, 02:40:49 PM »

I think there wouldn't be a big difference. In most cases, the effects of a running mate are overrated. There are only few exceptions in history, like Palin doing harm for McCain and LBJ helping JFK.
America's Sweetheart ❤/𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕭𝖔𝖔𝖙𝖞 𝖂𝖆𝖗𝖗𝖎𝖔𝖗
TexArkana
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2017, 02:47:44 PM »

I think there wouldn't be a big difference. In most cases, the effects of a running mate are overrated. There are only few exceptions in history, like Palin doing harm for McCain and LBJ helping JFK.

At the very least, I think Clintons wins a few counties in West Virginia and Kentucky with Manchin as her running mate.
WestVegeta
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2017, 03:20:10 PM »

i think that maybe by selecting a West Virginian who errs to towards the Blue Dog side of the party would help offset that "liberal elitist who wants to steal all our jobs" image, and it could be enough to turn 50,000 or so votes in two states for her, from people who didn't like Trump as a person but thought they'd lose their livelihoods under Clinton.
bagelman
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2017, 06:38:48 PM »

Trump still wins
AtorBoltox

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2017, 08:13:57 PM »

Progressive enthusiasm for Clinton is even lower than it was in real life, loses Minnesota and New Hampshire
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2017, 08:17:47 PM »

Progressive enthusiasm for Clinton is even lower than it was in real life, loses Minnesota and New Hampshire

This. It would destory whatever following she had with the left, as well as alienating women who find Manchin's stance on Planned Parenthood troubling.
The Govanah Jake
Jake Jewvinivisk

Political Matrix
E: -2.39, S: -5.30

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2017, 10:28:02 AM »

This. It would destory whatever following she had with the left, as well as alienating women who find Manchin's stance on Planned Parenthood troubling.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies